GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Barney's unenforceable MBNA thread - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barney's unenforceable MBNA thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barney's unenforceable MBNA thread

Newbie here, be gentle please.

A potted history of how I came to be here:-

Early 2009:
    After losing job (redundancy) in 2007 followed by a year of unemployment and then only obtaining poorly paid work, I wrote to creditors asking them to accept greatly reduced payments and freeze interest due to hardship. Had a battle with both credit card companies for several months, with one eventually accepting nominal payments and eventually freezing interest & charges. (Those nominal payments are still ongoing at present - so no imminent problem there).

Different story with MBNA (previously Abbey Credit Card):

Flatly refused to accept any reduction at all, despite at that stage not being overlimit, never missed payment, account with Abbey since early 1990's. The only reason given was that I had made "recent non-essential purchases". The account was, at the time, perfectly maintained as far as they were concerned (in fact they must have made many thousands of pounds off me over the years - minimum payments mainly with almost all being interest with a rate that had been slowly increased to around 32% from around 12% a few years before).The card had not been used for two or three months and the only purchases that could be seen to be non-essential totalled around £30 for children's presents around Christmas.

I appealed for them to reconsider, but only received a further blunt rejection.

I could only afford to pay the reduced payments I had asked them to accept, so started paying that amount and had to further reduce to nominal payments a few months later.

As a result of their failure to either accept reduced payments and not freeze interest, the interest increased together with charges for underpayments and then for overlimit and the balance rose by around £4,000 in approximately 10 months.

March 2009: Around this time I found CAG and on advice wrote for the CCA Agreement - request ignored.

April 2009: Being unsure of myself, I carried on paying the reduced payments and eventually sent a formal account in dispute letter re the non-response to my CCA request.

End of April 2009: I eventually received a response with only a copy of MBNA current T&Cs enclosed (although the letter referred to enlosed "current and original agreement", but then went on to say they had "requested the original agreement from Abbey and would forward if it could be located"). No agreement or copy agreement has ever been forthcoming.

May 2009: I wrote back and pointed out that they had not complied properly with my legal request, what they had supplied did not include any agreement at all and that the account was in formal dispute. Letter ignored by MBNA.

Next few months: Letters chasing arrears and phone calls - all ignored by me other than one initial 'bemused as account in dispute' letter from me which was also ignored.

Dec 2009: Call made whilst at work to my PAYG mobile! from MBNA supposed case manager. Despite my refusal to go through security, he had caught me unawares and I ended up having an argument with him (silly I know!) where he suggested could I not borrow/remortgage to pay off, didn't know where I was getting my legal advice, but should go to a "proper solicitor" as I was getting incorrect advice etc. They don't need the original agreement etc. At that stage I was still paying (through fear) nominal payments, despite having told them in writing that I was no longer obliged to do so. He said that MBNA would not continue to collect payments themselves and threatened that the account would be sold on and then my troubles would really start!

Later Dec 2009: Default notice received from MBNA
    Jan 2010: Letter from Experto on behalf of Varde who had bought the debt
    Jan 2010 to October 2010: inetermittent letters and some phone calls from Experto - all ignored by me - then nothing ............... until:

March 2012: Phishing letter from Buchanan Clark Wells with no details - ignored
    April 2012: Formal Demand for the full balance - acting for Aktiv Kapital - ignored
    May 2012: Final Notice - could, may recommend usual type of threats- ignored
    Last week: Notice of impending furthr action letter advsing that if no response will recommend AK seek a CCJ(lots more "could", "may", "consider" if no response threats) - ignored so far.

Good grief! I tried to keep that brief, but I suppose considering that is three years in a nutshell, it perhaps is brief.

Sorry for waffling, hope someone may be still reading this.

I did post intermittently on "the other side".in 2009, but then things went quiet for almost a year and a half and my recent posts asking for any advice have largely been overlooked or ignored.

When I noticed that some old CAG names had disappeared from there, it didn't take long to find this site, which does seem to be far less judgmental and a much more fun (if struggling with debt can be called "fun"), friendly and helpful place.

It seems that the unenforceability route is almost frowned upon on 'the other side' recently, but when one has been royaly shafted with no compassion whatsoever, despite a nigh on 20 year relationship and thousands made in interest and charges, I have no qualms anymore on that score. A little help when needed was all that it would have taken and I would not have even known about unenforce agreements.

Sorry, rant over.

After all the above, what am I looking for? A little advise or re-assurance perhaps.

I know that ignoring Experto worked, but believe they had some issues themselves regards enforcing, but I am not sure about Aktiv Kapital, who seem to chase some of there own purchased debt and outsource others to the likes of Buchanan Clark & Wells.

These days I have gained enough knowledge to know that BCW are no threat themselves. So should I continue to ignore on the basis they will pass back to AK eventually, or should I be proactively writing to BCW using your rather good templates rather than takingthe rsik of ignoring?

Any help / thoughts will be gratefully received. (Apologies again for the length of posting, I promise to be brief in future )
    Last edited by Barney; 28 May 2012, 15:16.

Re: Barney's unenforceable MBNA thread

Right,

Firstly, there will be a good reason you havent recieved your CCA - they havent got it! Never saw an Abbey one the entire time I was working there!

Secondly (and third fourth etc) are you still paying, who owns the account (has it been sold/assigned in full), how much do you owe.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
      Right,

Firstly, there will be a good reason you havent recieved your CCA - they havent got it! Never saw an Abbey one the entire time I was working there!

Secondly (and third fourth etc) are you still paying, who owns the account (has it been sold/assigned in full), how much do you owe.
      Hi Oscar, wow immediate response!

Not paid since assigned to Varde in Dec09/Jan 10. Latest correspondnce from Buchanan Clark Wells refers to their client Aktiv Kapital as now owning the debt previously Experto Varde.

Total outstanding >£24k

Comment

Originally posted by Barney View Post
        Dec 2009: Call made whilst at work to my PAYG mobile! from MBNA supposed case manager. Despite my refusal to go through security, he had caught me unawares and I ended up having an argument with him (silly I know!) where he suggested could I not borrow/remortgage to pay off, didn't know where I was getting my legal advice, but should go to a "proper solicitor" as I was getting incorrect advice etc. They don't need the original agreement etc. At that stage I was still paying (through fear) nominal payments, despite having told them in writing that I was no longer obliged to do so. He said that MBNA would not continue to collect payments themselves and threatened that the account would be sold on and then my troubles would really start!
        Hi Barney

Welcome to AAD!

Did you ever make a formal complaint about the conduct of the above 'case manager'?

It is a big breach of OFT guidelines to suggest to a debtor that they take of further borrowing to pay off a debt, especially if they suggested you remortgage!

I had them on the same thing a couple of years ago and got a formal apology, a letter confirming the debt was UE, and have not heard from them since.

As Oscar mentions, you probably haven't got a response as they haven't got a CCA.

SnV
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Barney and welcome.

Many of us here can relate to your current predicament.

While I have been on my UE journey I can only say from my personal assessment of each situation with my creditors, that it is not always wise to ignore everything they send to you, it's a bit like burying your head in the sand and hoping the problem will go away. Sometimes letting them know you are not going to simply roll over and accept the threats they make is the best way forward.

In your case if I was in your position right now, I would be sending off a account in dispute letter to BCW in respect of your s78 request to the original account owner MBNA. Then I would also do the same with the accounts new owners AK.

The last thing I would be wanting to do in the event of the creditor actually beginning litigation is give them "free" ammunition that you simply ignored all correspondence, which a judge could then make an opinion that you was just trying to avoid paying the debt.

UE is a long haul, but can and does work for many, so hang in there, you will find all the templates here that you will need to help guide you with your journey.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
            Hi Barney and welcome.

Many of us here can relate to your current predicament.

While I have been on my UE journey I can only say from my personal assessment of each situation with my creditors, that it is not always wise to ignore everything they send to you, it's a bit like burying your head in the sand and hoping the problem will go away. Sometimes letting them know you are not going to simply roll over and accept the threats they make is the best way forward.

In your case if I was in your position right now, I would be sending off a account in dispute letter to BCW in respect of your s78 request to the original account owner MBNA. Then I would also do the same with the accounts new owners AK.

The last thing I would be wanting to do in the event of the creditor actually beginning litigation is give them "free" ammunition that you simply ignored all correspondence, which a judge could then make an opinion that you was just trying to avoid paying the debt.

UE is a long haul, but can and does work for many, so hang in there, you will find all the templates here that you will need to help guide you with your journey.

Good Luck
            Totally agree with you Allan. Personally I believe if you can show a creditor to behave unreasonably then you can start to introduce an unfair relationship argument also, which is further ammo in your arsenal too.
            "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Of course an immediate response! (ok not, all the time - but most) we look after each other here!!

On the assumption that you havent been advised that Aktiv Kapital are now dealing (or assigned to deal), I think if it was me, I would be sending the "no knowledge of this debt" - just on the basis that you have had no previous contact (from them at least). EDIT - Allans suggestion is better

Need to find the template - hang on a minute (unless someone beats me to it)
              Last edited by oscar; 28 May 2012, 15:44.

Comment

Send this ---> Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | Account Sold whilst in Dispute
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
                  Welcome to the Club! (the MBNA Has Lost It Club)
                  MBNA have lost nothing. They never had it in the first place (whatever it may be)

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                    MBNA have lost nothing. They never had it in the first place (whatever it may be)
                    Don't be fooled mate, I heard a rumour they did get 112 DVD's (is that all?) of encrypted data from Shabby/A&L so they may yet appear in months to come.

* And yes I know you know MBNA better than most - but I have my fingers in many pots, as you also know

Just saying, always presume the worst then when it's better news you get that sigh of relief......
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I was referring to the CCAs!!! There's a few of us here with CCA-less MBNA cards.
                      But there are a few who have...

Comment

Originally posted by swanfan View Post
                        But there are a few who have...
                        As I stated above, but didn't want to mention names mate

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          As I stated above, but didn't want to mention names mate
                          They still haven't had a penny outta me recently though as you well know...

Comment

Hello and welcome!
                            We are always gentle, we don't bite here, this isn't 'The Dark Side'

A very similar story to mine, see ---> allaboutFORUMS - View Single Post - FlowerPower's Sleeping Dogs (hopefully UE)

By the sounds of it, you also have an early 90s MBNA card which they acquired from Abbey (A&L in my case). Yes exactly.

Again, a similar story. They added interest and overlimit charges for 6 or 7 months after I stopped paying the muppets.

Same here! I hope you've kept that letter safe! Because it means that, no matter how much interest and/or charges those have added, without a CCA it's totally and absolutely Got the letter but it doesn't exactly say they haven't got the CCA, just: "I can confirm that a copy of the credit agreement has been requested for you and should Abbey be able to provide us with a copy, we will forward it to you."

I guess I've been lucky that, after admitting no less than 3 times that they cannot provide a CCA, MBNA have been quiet. They sent an entire rainforest of letters and rang gzillions of times in the early days but after a few months these days they only contact me every Xmas!

In my case, they've never sold the account or even passed it on to anyone other than their own in-house muppets Debt Clear Recoveries and Investigations (DCRI).

DCAs buy accounts with very little info about them so Aktive Crapital wouldn't know that MBNA have never provided you with a CCA, it's up to you to make them aware of that fact and if I was you I'd be sending them this a.s.a.p with a copy of MBNA's letter stating no CCA ---> Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | CCA Query - Letter Previously Confirming No CCA
                            Would this still be the letter to send given they never specifically said they haven't got the CCA?

We are 100% non-judgmental and giving those banks and DCAs a very well deserved taste of their own medicine *can* be fun!

I do enjoy it! s Enjoy was not the word I would choose to date, but in a few short hours of joining this site, the signs are encouraging that it could become more enjoyable and certainly less daunting!

I also used to be on the same side as you and it has changed a lot in the 21/2 years since I started UE. The one good thing I got from there was a reference to this site! Haha! - likewise so it seems!

As I said above, if it was me I'd be sending that template making them aware MBNA have failed to find a CCA for that account. I thought it was Aktive Crapital who's writing to you, if not, I'd send it to whoever writes. No BCW writing on behalf of AK.

Welcome to the Club! (the MBNA Has Lost It Club)
                            Thanks Flowerpower. See responses above - I haven't mastered multi-quoting yet as you can see!
                            Last edited by Barney; 28 May 2012, 18:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                              Don't be fooled mate, I heard a rumour they did get 112 DVD's (is that all?) of encrypted data from Shabby/A&L so they may yet appear in months to come.
                              Really? Obviously I knew they had a few knocking about. Most of the data they had before had been corrupted. Some nobody knew where the the hell it was, but mostly it was never there!

Suprised either of the other two still had the data given how far back the acquisitions were. Cant believe you have "better" sorces than me

But as you say, better to be safe. 99% may have vanished, but we might get all the 1% - and with 2million plus accounts, 1% becomes a BIG number.

Comment

Working...
                              X