GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Virgin/MBNA PPI - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virgin/MBNA PPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin/MBNA PPI

Thought I should start a thread on this, don't know how this reclaim is going to go!!!

Took out the card approx Nov 2008 and only ever used it to transfer balances when the were offering 0% deals, had a DD set up and basically left it alone. Checked on the account in 2010 and noticed that they had applied PPI which I didn't know about. Wrote to them to stop the PPI and reclaim the amount they had taken plus interest and they wrote back to me declining my request as I had apparently ticked a box on the online application form, a copy of which they enclosed for me.

Until I found AAD I thought that was it, there was nothing more I could do but after reading various threads on here I decided to revisit it, downloaded and completed their form, double checked wording with Di30 (thank you! ) and posted it off on 17 April.

Letter received today says their investigation is taking longer than expected but they will be in touch by 16 June, so I have a little longer to wait and I suspect the letter will decline my request but hopefully I will be able to respond with a little help from my clever AAD friends and maybe this time I can get them to refund the amount taken!
    Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Re: Virgin/MBNA PPI

Online Apps at that time were pre ticked - you had to opt OUT.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cookie2112 View Post
      noticed that they had applied PPI which I didn't know about. Wrote to them to stop the PPI and reclaim the amount they had taken plus interest and they wrote back to me declining my request as I had apparently ticked a box on the online application form, a copy of which they enclosed for me.
      Originally posted by oscar View Post
      Online Apps at that time were pre ticked - you had to opt OUT.
      I'll leave this to the PPI experts (Di30, Turbo, Bill-K) but whether you ticked a box or not may not be relevant if the PPI cover provided was not appropriate for your needs or situation at the time you took out the policy.
      Last edited by PlanB; 17 May 2014, 20:27.

Comment

Thank you, I don't think I ticked a box and have told them that. I never took out insurance on any cards I had in the past because that would mean paying more money. Many years ago I had an egg card and when I realised they had added it without my knowledge I reclaimed it from them, that was probably about 2006, so there was no way I would sign up for it again! Have my fingers crossed for this one!
        Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

If they decline, the next step is downloading the form from the FOS. Filling that out and sending it off.

Di will give you more detail. But that would be the next step should they decline you.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            If they decline, the next step is downloading the form from the FOS. Filling that out and sending it off.

Di will give you more detail. But that would be the next step should they decline you.
            Thanks SXGuy, I will be on first name terms with people at the FOS if I have to send them another, they already have my Natwest complaint to deal with!!

Comment

Fingers crossed they accept your complaint and issue a refund, took over 2 years to finally get HSBC to accept defeat via FOS with my mothers. FOS were on our side all the way, takes soo long these days.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                Fingers crossed they accept your complaint and issue a refund, took over 2 years to finally get HSBC to accept defeat via FOS with my mothers. FOS were on our side all the way, takes soo long these days.
                2 years!! Well, its good to hear that you got the refund, that is a long time to wait though! Be interesting to see what they say in their next letter!

Comment

Be interesting to see what they say in their next letter!
                  Probably that their Sales process was compliant. (but they would have found a way not to pay you out anyway)

Comment

Probably that their Sales process was compliant. (but they would have found a way not to pay you out anyway)
                    Probably, it's going to end up being my word against theirs isn't!!

Comment

Probably, it's going to end up being my word against theirs isn't!!
                      Not at all. MBNA are well known for heir failings - and inability to keep records.

They have tried several arguments to try and blame the customer and have been shot down in flames.

Comment

Not at all. MBNA are well known for heir failings - and inability to keep records.

They have tried several arguments to try and blame the customer and have been shot down in flames.
                        Liking the sound of that oscar!! Fingers crossed!

Comment

Dot Worry, it was our word against HSBC too. FOS are likely to believe you, since miss selling was rife for years.

Comment

Hope so! Thanks

Comment

Hiya
                              that was the problem with online applications, the ppi box being pre-ticked where they say you could have opted out of it, and another was if you untick it or dont agree to the ppi, the application with some would not allow you to go any further to continue the application.
                              The FOS however, are dealing with lots of these cases and can see where its been a problem, where many have then succeeded.

Hopefully, all will go in your favour now, but another suggestion otherwise (if they do reject) is by contacting/email/write to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the business by giving an extra 14 days to request for a review with why your not satisfied with the outcome/decision made on your complaint and believe the complaints team acted poorly in your case blah blah, sometimes it can overturn, not all but there is a chance of that happening.

And of course from the date on the final decision letter you have 6 months to complain to the FOS.

All crossed here for you x

Comment

Working...
                              X