GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Where to I start? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to I start?

I've been bombarded with calls from companies offering to reclaim PPI for me but i heard you can do it yourself without using a company. How easy is it to reclaim yourself? And how far back can you go?

I have various cards, a couple of loans (now paid off), etc. Some closed ages ago and don't have all the statements. I can probably find some statements but not for all the accounts.

thanks for your help.

Re: Where to I start?

Hello and welcome

First of all, I'm glad you want to have a go yourself, (with free help from this site of course) , and this way you will get to keep all your ppi refund what rightfully belongs to you.

Basically, if you do not have the paperwork, you can write to the business who set up the finance - Data protection unit for the paperwork by using a Subject Access Request (SAR) where myself or someone will post up the link to the template letter for this shortly.

If you have reason to make a reclaim, for example, you were pressurised into taking the ppi out, or it was added automatically, maybe you had a pre medical condition, or you were already protected by the employer for sickness etc, the list is endless.

You then write to the business complaints or head office by the suggested method of recorded-signed for delivery, this will ensure they receive your complaint.
    You can do this by writing a letter or using the complaint questionnaire.

Most businesses expect a complaint questionnaire now, the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) processed these for customers to use to complain to the business/bank to make a reclaim with your reasons, but if you prefer you can write a letter.

Do not get the FOS complaint questionnaire for PPI confused with the actual FOS complaint form, such as if you need to complain to them later if the business do not uphold your complaint in your favour by the final decision.

I will post up the relevant links you require shortly.

Comment

An advanced SAR I think would be best, you enclose the one payment for each business, so for example, if you taken out loans, credit cards out with the same bank, then you use one SAR, you can write your bank account number, and they should provide you with all information in relation of the accounts you had with them.
      For this you enclose one payment of £10 cheque or postal order, and they have up to 40 calendar days to comply.

If the businesses were separate, then it would be one SAR per business if you get my drift.

Template letter -SAR here.
      http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/temp...lity/s3-t6.php

Here below is a template letter if you want to use this to make your complaint, you will need to add what applies to you, and leave out that does not apply to you.

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ead.php?t=6720

Or the complaint questionnaire here.
      http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...stionnaire.pdf

There is another version on the FOS website (Word) as well as PDF.

If your complaint is with the same business, for example, 2 or 3 loans, same reasons for being mis sold, you can use the same letter or complaint form, just make sure you apply the account numbers.

Keep credit card ppi reclaiming separate to that of loan ppi reclaming though.
      Hope this information helps, but ask for further help if required.

Good luck.

(Also keep copies of what you send, in case you need to refer back to them again at some point).

Comment

Many thanks Di30, you've been most helpful! I will need to take a look at all that.

I guess I have to start with the SAR and wait for them to come back before I do anything.

I have one question: what does it mean "If the businesses were separate, then it would be one SAR per business"? If I had a credit card and a loan with the same bank, do I need to send two SARs then or just one?

Comment

Originally posted by reclaimer View Post
          Many thanks Di30, you've been most helpful! I will need to take a look at all that.

I guess I have to start with the SAR and wait for them to come back before I do anything.

I have one question: what does it mean "If the businesses were separate, then it would be one SAR per business"? If I had a credit card and a loan with the same bank, do I need to send two SARs then or just one?
          No just one SAR, all your info will come back on it, take a deep breath because it can be a lengthy process, Di is the real expert and will help you every step of the way, just come back here any time and ask any help with it.

Comment

Di - that is one sweet avatar

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
              Di - that is one sweet avatar
              Down vossy, down boy!!
              "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Originally posted by IF View Post
                Down vossy, down boy!!
                lol - your turn for one of those IF

Comment

Originally posted by vossy View Post
                  lol - your turn for one of those IF
                  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Loving your Christmas avatars peeps!

Just answered a call telling me they believe I may be due some PPI. I believe so too but don't want to pay for the service if I can do it free with your help.

Comment

Originally posted by reclaimer View Post
                      Loving your Christmas avatars peeps!

Just answered a call telling me they believe I may be due some PPI. I believe so too but don't want to pay for the service if I can do it free with your help.
                      Don't believe anything these telephone jokers tell you - its easy to reclaim and it free apart from a bit of postage, always use recorded, that is a must.

Comment

Reclaimer.

I knew nothing about banks PPI or anything in June.

We are a few thousand up on where were back then and it really is easy.

With Di you have an expert.

My only advice to start with is the word Patience was invented for PPI claims.

They can be maddening sometimes but well worth a go.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys.

Been looking at Turbo's posts with regards to how much you can expect to reclaim. You guys have a mathematical genious on board, most impressive!

Comment

I always think there is two parts to a reclaim.

Getting them to admit they miss-sold it to you in the first place. (not easy thing to do and boy do they like to jerk you around hence patience is a good thing to have)

And secondly good Maths skills to check they aint fleeced you yet again. And if you aint a A* maths child know someone who is. Take a bow Turbo

Comment

I guess I'll need to check those spreadsheets but I'll need to get all my paperwork together first.

Comment

Working...
                              X