GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help with Defaults on my Credit Report - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Defaults on my Credit Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Defaults on my Credit Report

Hi there,

First post and new to all this. I sent the step one letter to Studio that had placed a Default on my account in 2005 which I do not remember anything about. They came back with a letter stating that the Default was correct and simply ripped off a credit agreement slip and wrote me name and new address on it? I objected and sent a letter back again asking them to sent me a true copy of the Default notice. This is the reply:

Thank you for your letter which has been passed for my attention.

We have complied with our obligations to provide you with a copy of your credit agreement under section 78 of the CCA. (they sent me a new agreement with my name on it and new address and said this is what I would of received and signed in 2004???)

A defualt notice was issued on 23rd September 2005, Studio are not required to retain copies of the original default notices. We are required to record the fact that one was sent out and we are able to demonstrate that our systems are sufficiently robust and reliable as to ensure that when recorded on our systems a default notice is sent. We are not required to retain a signed and true certified copy of the origianal default notice. However, for your convenience, I have enclosed the text that is issued on our default notices. (cut and pasted off the internet of Section 87(1) CCA 1974).

Are they correct?

I have drafted the following reply to them but have not sent it yet:

Thank you for your letter dated 6th of October 2010 ref *************

I recently wrote to you concerning a Default on my account on my letter dated 10 September 2010. You have sent confirmation that you received that letter. As stated in my correspondence to you I recently obtained a copy of my credit file from the credit agency. I was extremely concerned to note that you had added a default notice on my Experian Credit file on 30/10/2005 yet state on the extract from Equifax that this account was paid in full in September 2005 on the Payment History section yet with a date satisfied of the 30/10/2005. I feel this default entry was not only added unlawfully but also without merit. You have not been able to supply me with an original copy of the Default notice and in doing so have immediately put you liable to a breach of Consumer Credit Act 1974, in particular s.87(1) of said Act;

Section 87(1) of the 1974 Act allows the creditor to send you a default notice giving you fourteen days from the date you receive it to pay the arrears. The default notice must contain all of the necessary information under the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 ('the 1983 Regulations'), which includes;

* a statement saying the notice is a default notice served under section 87(1) of the 1974 Act
    * a description of the agreement
    * the name and address of both the debtor and the creditor
    * details of the breach (i.e. late payment) and, if the breach can be remedied, the date by which it must be remedied or, if the breach is not capable of remedy, the amount required to be paid after the expiry of the specified date;

As is clearly evident from the lack of correspondence between us with regards to this default, the fact you have already stated you do not hold certified copy of the default that you state was sent to me, I reiterate that I have never received any such notice and as a result I contest the accuracy of the default and until such time you can provide proof that you complied with the above Act, you must remove all derogatory data from the files of any credit reference agency (CRA). You have stated in your letter to me that “We are not required to retain a signed and true certified copy of the original default notice”. I believe this to be incorrect. You also state that “A default notice was issued on the 23rd of September 2005” and “Our information systems are sufficiently robust and reliable as to ensure that when recorded on our systems a default notice is sent”. May I refer you back to my earlier statement in which I have shown you that both CRA hold different dates to which you have stated the Default was issued on and I must therefore ask you to substantiate your claim in your information system remembering that this Default was apparently recorded on your system over 5 years ago.

I have now contacted the Office of Fair Trading and explained the situation that I find myself in with your company. They explained that if I do not get a satisfactory reply to this letter then I am to forward all correspondence, which I have retained, to them and they will be happy to investigate it on my behalf. I hope to avoid this and be able to come to agreement with you.

I am more than happy to issue you a Subject Access Request which should include a copy of the documents I request, which I am hopeful will include a copy of said termination and default notices which, if they are missing, will leave me no alternative but to seek legal enforcement via CPR 31.16. Without sight of said original default notice, I cannot argue the authenticity, enforceability or execution and therefore will use this as my claim if I am forced into taking legal action, all costs will also be claimed from your company.

It would, however, be in both our interests if you simply agree to remove the default being there are so many inconsistencies with the alleged default notice, the execution, the enforceability and the legal
    compliance that you must surely have no other alternative but to remove it, least of all as a gesture of goodwill?

As I was never in receipt of any of the statutory documents (Notice of Termination of Contract; Notice of Assignment or Default Notice) then the actual default notice that is shown on my credit file is unlawful and should be immediately removed. I do not want to take this through the courts but I will enforce removal by judgement if necessary, at the end of the day you have acted unlawfully by not issuing a fully compliant and correctly executed legal document. Therefore, assuming you are happy with my proposal please confirm, in writing on letter headed paper, the following points will be carried out;

* The Default Notice will be removed
    * The Status of the account will change from “Defaulted” to “Satisfactory”
    * The Balance of the account will change from “Satisfied” to “Settled”
    * The Current Balance will appear as £0.00
    * The Default / Delinquent Balance will be set to £0.00
    * There will be no date in the “Defaulted Date” field (as it will be removed)
    * There will be no date in the “Date Last Delinquent” field on the report
    * This will apply to all 3 Credit Reference Agencies, namely Experian, Equifax & Call Credit

Failure to agree will result in more formal papers being sent, by return and in the meantime, I look forward to your response within the next 21 days. Should this action not be taken I will have no other option but to forward all my correspondence and findings to the Office of Fair Trading and also make a formal complaint to them regarding Studio and this issue.

Yours Sincerely,

Thank you for reading through it and thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I have, at the moment, 6 Defaults on my account all from 2005/2006 which I am writing off to those company's involved with a CCA request but, as of yet, only Studio have got back to me with anything.
    Started with a debt of £18,323.68 in May 2005. Everything now paid off but trying to sort out credit file now which is shot to bits. Now begins the journey.

Re: Help with Defaults on my Credit Report

Cheers Miche.....I didnt see the ref number there. Just a cut and paste job. Thank you.
    Started with a debt of £18,323.68 in May 2005. Everything now paid off but trying to sort out credit file now which is shot to bits. Now begins the journey.

Comment

Hiya

If they defaulted you in 2005 it will drop off next year, don't worry about it - the hassle and cost of fighting it outweighs the fact it is there.

So long as your credit file is ok, other than that, especially for the last 3yrs then the default placed in 2005 will have little to no effect on you. Now, that said, if you have late payment markers etc added in the last 3 years then lenders will search a full 6yrs meaning the default would then come into play.

Hope that helps, but to be frank i'd ignore it - pointless fighting a lost cause so close to default drop-off date....
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by livi.till.i.die
        Thank you for reading through it and thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I have, at the moment, 6 Defaults on my account all from 2005/2006 which I am writing off to those company's involved with a CCA request but, as of yet, only Studio have got back to me with anything.
        Hiya, if you have several default all from 05/06 they will not do you much harm right now! yea, you're not going to be a class A credit customer but come off it, you ought to not really want credit anyway - after last time....

Seriously, if you're fighting for default removal then expect a hard slog with a loss at the end - sorry but you have NO legal right to dispute them, cos you admit that the account was in debt and therefore after one missed payment and 14 days notice the lender can default you and they do not have to provide you a copy now, 5 years down the line - to get one, you ought to SAR them but even then they do not have to send one, unless you looked at CPR31.16 by taking legal action against them - ermm, not wise - trust me!

Just forget them mate, seriously. ;F-
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Never in Doubt,

The thing is mate that looking at my credit file every single one of them has Defaulted it the day I rang them up and paid the account in full. Yes I was a bit stupid back them and my mum bailed me out by getting out a loan and me paying her back.

My main point is that I paid them all off, got no default notice through the post and every single one of them put it on and then showed it was settled the month after??????

They all have a "D" in the month and then the "S" straight after it?

Comment

NID,

I think I got a few of the dates wrong here. It was 2006 not 2005 so these will be on my file until 2012. This is one I have a question about. Here is what Experian Say.

Company name: LLOYDS TSB BANK
            Account type: Credit card / Store card
            Special Instruction Indicator: Partial Settlement
            Special Instruction Start Date: 01/07/2006
            Started: 08/11/2001
            Default Balance: £2,996
            Current Balance: Satisfied
            Defaulted On: 27/02/2006
            File Updated for the Period to: 18/03/2007

I paid them £2808 exactly as a reduced payment. As you can see the default has been placed on the account in the 27/02/06. Just dug on the statement of the account they were all paid from. Clearly has it on there as being paid on the 13/02/06. I paid this off 2 weeks before they placed the default on???? Is that right? Sorry if I am being a pain mate. Its not that I want credit right now but this will now be on my account until 2012. Just applied for my credit score.....323.....OMG.

Comment

Nid,

You are getting famous mate. Just got a letter from Lloyds stating that they will investigate this and will get back to me, however, the following was in the letter:

"Given the contents of your letter, I am concerned that you may be obtaining advice as to your legal rights from a third party or internet forum site, which is incorrect. If followed, it is entriely possible that this will cause you to breach the terms of your agreement. We are aware from such sites they inform you that until we respond, your agreement may be temporarily unenforceable. However, this only means that the Bank would be unable to enforce a court judgement to oblige you to repay your debt. It does not, however, affect your legal obligation to make payments as required by your agreement. You should therefore continue to make payments as usual during this time even if you belive it to be unenforceable."

Now this is not a run of the mill letter as it is signed by the person dealing with it and goes into more detail regarding this account further down the page. After me explaining that I paid this before the Default was placed on the account I suddenly get this letter and asking me to wait till they investigate it. Think they have cocked up here. Just got to wonder why he put the statement above in this letter even though he knows the account was paid in full 4 years ago and has a balance of £0.00???

Comment

Never in Doubt,

The thing is mate that looking at my credit file every single one of them has Defaulted it the day I rang them up and paid the account in full. Yes I was a bit stupid back them and my mum bailed me out by getting out a loan and me paying her back.

My main point is that I paid them all off, got no default notice through the post and every single one of them put it on and then showed it was settled the month after??????

They all have a "D" in the month and then the "S" straight after it?
                Hiya,

I understand what you're saying but if you paid them the same day as default date then you were 14 days too late - basically when the account is ONE payment late the bank can recall the debt, usually a default notice allows you 14 days to bring the debt into order, i.e. clear the arrears. Now, as you've made a "partial settlement" and NOT a full payment then technically you've been defaulted, cos you never agreed at the time to mark your credit file as settled - not partially settled. I can only advise as is best mate, and unless you have proof from your bank statements then not much you can do - however I can't see your logic cos you just said today that you do not want credit again so why pay for a credit score - the credit score is irrelevant to someone that does not want credit - plus it is a meaningless figure plucked from thin air, I now formally give you a score of 750 - there, feel better? Point is each lender scores their own products - NOT the CRA's so their scores should be avoided at ALL costs - never buy one again, seriously - or you'll be surely sad when you apply based on that, to get rejected cos the lender scores higher!

Anyway, if you dig out all your paperwork and provide exact dates you paid and exact default dates i'll look into things, I also need the amounts you paid against the amount showing on the DN - i.e. was it a full payment or settlement......

Regards to getting credit again, being these are 4years in you're gonna struggle to get them removed, similarly if you do not want credit again then so what if they remain on your file for another whole year??

You need to tell me the truth if you want help...... For instance I do not need credit, so never check my file and never get a credit score - and i'm not in debt either! So why would someone that doesn't want credit be bothered about a default that is due to drop off in a year, and why would that same person get a credit score? Hmmmmmm ;Hmm ;Hmm ;Hmm

Comment

NID,

I think I got a few of the dates wrong here. It was 2006 not 2005 so these will be on my file until 2012. This is one I have a question about. Here is what Experian Say.

I paid them £2808 exactly as a reduced payment. As you can see the default has been placed on the account in the 27/02/06. Just dug on the statement of the account they were all paid from. Clearly has it on there as being paid on the 13/02/06. I paid this off 2 weeks before they placed the default on???? Is that right? Sorry if I am being a pain mate. Its not that I want credit right now but this will now be on my account until 2012. Just applied for my credit score.....323.....OMG.
                  See my quote above in red/bold - where, does it "clearly" say that - cos I cannot see it and i've read it three times already!

Comment

Nid,

You are getting famous mate. Just got a letter from Lloyds stating that they will investigate this and will get back to me, however, the following was in the letter:

"Given the contents of your letter, I am concerned that you may be obtaining advice as to your legal rights from a third party or internet forum site, which is incorrect. If followed, it is entriely possible that this will cause you to breach the terms of your agreement. We are aware from such sites they inform you that until we respond, your agreement may be temporarily unenforceable. However, this only means that the Bank would be unable to enforce a court judgement to oblige you to repay your debt. It does not, however, affect your legal obligation to make payments as required by your agreement. You should therefore continue to make payments as usual during this time even if you belive it to be unenforceable."

Now this is not a run of the mill letter as it is signed by the person dealing with it and goes into more detail regarding this account further down the page. After me explaining that I paid this before the Default was placed on the account I suddenly get this letter and asking me to wait till they investigate it. Think they have cocked up here. Just got to wonder why he put the statement above in this letter even though he knows the account was paid in full 4 years ago and has a balance of £0.00???
                    That's Lloyds for you - I know they have followed me on MSE - they think I am wrong though, bless - they always say that! ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Silly schoolboy petulance really..... they think you'll believe them over a neutral that has nothing to gain/lose? hmmm - ok, Lloyds - whatever you say ;-y ;-y

;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Comment

[quote=Never-In-Doubt]
                      Originally posted by "livi.till.i.die":2a03egm4
                      NID,

See my quote above in red/bold - where, does it "clearly" say that - cos I cannot see it and i've read it three times already! [/quote:2a03egm4]

Sorry I didnt get back to you last night mate I was at Hampden. I have got my bank statement infront of me that says that I paid them £2808 exactly on 13/02/06 which is 2 weeks before they put the default on. The only reason that I started all this as I went to trade in my car and get a new one to save on Petrol/Road Tax. They rejected my credit request and I didnt know why as I have not applied or had any form of credit in 4 years. Looked at my credit file for the first time and thats when I seen them all on there. Its not so much the fact they are on there from all that time ago but I sat there and couldnt understand why they were on there even though I had paid them all of and never received a default notice. I have 6 on there from 2006. Lloyds put a default on 2 weeks after it was paid off. Yes it was a partial settlement but only less than £188 from the balance on my credit card. They took off the interest and late payment fee's for that month that came to £188 and I paid the rest off. As I said mate, its not so much I am desperate to get credit more to the point that with a wife and 3 kids it would be easier to sleep at night knowing that I "Could" get some if we needed it. Will get myself on a scanner mate and send you the letter from Lloyds.....You could put it on your wall and tell people "Thats me they are saying are wrong all the time"

Comment

Hiya

Ok, you need to formally write in to the DCA and tell them what you've told us that the DN is wrong as you'd paid it, send a copy of the proof as well. Then copy the CRA's into your request and formally request that they also remove the erroneous entry. It will be a slog but you should be able to sort this being you have the proof of payment, prior to the default date which means you remedied the breach, ergo no DN should ever have been issued. Both the lender/dca and the CRA's are responsible for resolution.....

Good luck.

Comment

Just an update Nid. One of the Defaults has now been removed. Littlewoods wrote to me stating that they did not file for a default notice in Oct 2007 and therefore cannot supply me with a copy of said Default notice. Has been removed from my credit file within 48 hrs of that letter......RESULT.

Comment

Niddy,

On the note about the default on Lloyds TSB above. After 2 months now and 12 recorded delivery notes they have now asked me to complete a change of address form as they can't tell me any results of their findings until I do this even though they have been writing to me for 2 months. Its asking for my signature and proof of residence and to take it into a branch. I dont have an account with them so I dont understand why I have to fill it all out, sign it and send it back to them?????

Comment

Hiya

You do not need to do that, just write back and tell them this! Request a SAR - and quote the DPA to them, i.e. you do not have to provide ID nor a Signature....

Comment

Working...
                              X