GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Help with Satisfied Default - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Satisfied Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Satisfied Default

Hi there,

I've been reading this forum and others over and over for the best couple of weeks and was wondering if someone could offer some advice on my situation.

I have on my credit file details of a credit card agreement with Crap1 which I defaulted on in February 2011. When I have checked through all of my documentation relating to the account I have found the default notice to be defective for the following reasons:

1. There is no specific date for the breach to be remedied by.
    2. There is no specific information regarding the amount required to remedy the breach.

The account was paid off in August 2012 and whilst I was making payments to clear the balance I claimed for the unlawful charges which had been applied to the account. The charges amounted to approximately £96 and the total balance at the date of default was £296.

After reading ICO guidelines it seems I do not have a case to remove the default on the grounds of the charges applied, as the balance was not made up of charges alone. I also understand that just because the default balance has been paid does not mean that it will be removed and that it will be there for 6 years from the date of default.

I have done a lot of reading on cases similar to mine and have read about unlawful recision on the back of a dodgy default notice.

Would the fact that the default notice does not comply with the relevant legislation give me grounds for removal of the default from my credit file? If so, what would be the best way to tackle this?

I have found various cases that would possibly help me, for example the following;

The consumer credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983, and that a failure of a Default Notice or Termination Notice to be accurate not only invalidates such notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd V Swain & Co NLD 14 July 1998 but it is an unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt (Wilson V First County Trust Ltd [2003] UKHL 40, Wilson V Robertsons (London) Ltd [2006] EWCA Civ 1088, Wilson V Pawnbrokers [2005] EWCA Civ 147) - but would also give the claimant a claim for damages in the sum of £1000 (Kpophraror V Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119).

Where do I start with this? Does anybody have an example of a letter I could send to Crap1 to get the ball rolling or have any information they could share from their experiences which could help me?

thank you all in anticipation!

Re: Help with Satisfied Default

A default in line with s.87 / s.88 Consumer Credit Act is nothing to do with your credit file - they are separate entities.

You could default the agreement by being a month late with repayment, in line with s.87/88 but to default your credit file would mean you must miss at least 3 contractually due payments.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Damn... Not the news I was hoping for, I think I've exhausted just about every avenue I could possibly go down to try and get the thing off.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

6 years without credit is a mighty long time for a default less than 300 quid IMO...

Comment

Unless you need a mortgage or something, credit really isn't the be all and end all. Trust me. Ive gone for years without credit.

When I went bankrupt in 2004, I made a decision that if I couldn't afford it, I don't need it. And that's set me on a path whereby my money accounts for what I need and I don't rely on credit for anything.

Ok, I have a good job, and yes now I do own a house, but ive never relied on credit for anything, it is easier than you may initialy think.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          Unless you need a mortgage or something, credit really isn't the be all and end all. Trust me. Ive gone for years without credit.

When I went bankrupt in 2004, I made a decision that if I couldn't afford it, I don't need it. And that's set me on a path whereby my money accounts for what I need and I don't rely on credit for anything.

Ok, I have a good job, and yes now I do own a house, but ive never relied on credit for anything, it is easier than you may initialy think.
          Hi SXGuy,

Yeah, I'm in no hurry to get any debt again believe me!

i already have a mortgage but I'm now on the lenders standard variable rate and being rinsed, no chance of remortgaging to get a better deal because of a default for less than £300... Pretty harsh IMO...

Comment

Which lender is it? Santander tend to offer another fixed rate with no credit checks once the old one runs out.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
            X