GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Default on very old account - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Default on very old account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Default on very old account

Dear Chz80,

I'm pleased the FOS found in your favour. I am in EXACTLY the same situation as you describe and was hoping you could share any advice with me about dealing with the FOS. In short, in 2013 Barclays passed on an defaulted overdraft to a debt collector despite me not having had any interactions with the account since 2003! I'm currently writing to Barclays and the debt collection agency but not getting anywhere.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

Best wishes

Joe

Re: Recently entered default on very old account

What's wrong? If you've heard nothing since 2003 there will be no default plus it'll be statute barred.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Well, they said that they requested repayment of the overdraft in 2013, so it's not Statute Barred - so they stuck a default notice with all 3 credit agencies in November 2013...... When I last had any dealings with the account I presumed it was £0 and hadn't heard anything until the debt collection letter came today

I phoned the bank today and they said to deal with the debt collectors. Which I'm refraining from doing!

(Thanks for your help BTW)

Comment

In my defence though, they didn't communicate with me at all from 2003-2013 because (and I quote) "what you do with your overdraft is none of our business".... Nice!

Comment

Aaaah ok who is the dca? Ignore them for now, let's get the facts from the actual bank.

You need to stop ringing the bank and send this ASAP - then when you get it back confirm here, to us, non usage since X date... Then we'll help you resolve this.

-> http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/old/...vanced-request

No more phone chats. If they or the dca ring hang up / fail security.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you. The only trouble is that, as it was 10 years ago, I don't have my old account number / sort code. I presume I'll need to phone them to get this!?

Thanks again.

Comment

No don't phone. I would see what Niddy says, but I would enter a line to say data relating to your name and old address.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by joebaloney View Post
                Thank you. The only trouble is that, as it was 10 years ago, I don't have my old account number / sort code. I presume I'll need to phone them to get this!?

Thanks again.
                nope you'd simply remove the line on the template that refers to the account number and then give them the address at the time you held the account (assuming it's different). Chances are they will ask for ID so stay in touch with us before responding to any such request and again NO MORE PHONE CALLS - you really need to get that into your head, stop phoning. Phoning is bad. They trip you up and screw you over, stop talking to them. Lol

Comment

Thanks to both of you.

Comment

Got it. No more phone calls!

Comment

OK, just to confirm, the link is to the 'advanced' SAR. No need to reply if this is the correct link. Otherwise, I will send it today.

Thank you.

Comment

Yes that's where the link leads so yep, that's what you send

Good luck

Comment

Re: Default on very old account

Hi Joe, moved your posts to your own thread
                          "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

Just a thought but wont your old account info be on the letter sent to you?

Comment

No. I received a "verification letter" from the debt collectors with no details on it (other than my name & previous addresses). I then applied for my credit report which showed the bank account which had been defaulted in November. That only named the bank and some other details but not the account details. When I phoned the bank, they confirmed they'd passed the debt onto a DCA (Buchanan Clark & Wells).

Comment

Working...
                              X