GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Mortgage Arrears caused by benefits shortfall - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mortgage Arrears caused by benefits shortfall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage Arrears caused by benefits shortfall

I would like to ask if I can reclaim the arrears charges that are being added to my mortgage? the reason being is that the DWP pay the interest on my mortgage and pay late so I occur a charge for the payment being received late.

I need to know if there is anything I can do as I do not want this matter escalating in to the thousands. GMAC RFC were my original mortgage company but have now been taken over by Paratus AMC Ltd.....and I thought that GMAC were fined for charging people too much money when they got in to arrears...and it now looks like Paratus are charging £39 as arrears penalties.

Can I reclaim this please?
    Attached Files

Re: Reclaiming Mortgage Arrears Charges

Originally posted by transformer999 View Post
    I would like to ask if I can reclaim the arrears charges that are being added to my mortgage? the reason being is that the DWP pay the interest on my mortgage and pay late so I occur a charge for the payment being received late.

I need to know if there is anything I can do as I do not want this matter escalating in to the thousands. GMAC RFC were my original mortgage company but have now been taken over by Paratus AMC Ltd.....and I thought that GMAC were fined for charging people too much money when they got in to arrears...and it now looks like Paratus are charging £39 as arrears penalties.

Can I reclaim this please?
    Hi

I am certain you can, they did refund me when I was going through some issues with them.
    Ours was messed up a few years back, insurance and then it went onto DWP interest which like yours taken ages, because forms were getting lost, 4 or maybe 5 times in total then, I wrote to the lender to ask to make some plan of action and they kept refusing.

I ended up complaining to the FOS who fast tracked under the hardship criteria, who requested that the lender to refund the charges, because it was no fault of our own of waiting for matters to be dealt with.

I am not sure if there is any sort of letter on here somewhere for it though, but yes do write a letter, explain your situation and if they refuse you can always did what I done, complain to the FOS who agreed with me.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks di30 very useful and helful response. I will write and see what they first and then post up...thanks

Comment

Thanks di30 very useful and helful response. I will write and see what they first and then post up...thanks

Your welcome and all crossed here for you.

We can try working through this if they refuse.

Comment

Thanks di30....more than likely they will refuse....what I was wandering was that would it be a good idea to first ask for a list & breakdown of charges...to make sure what I want to reclaim? make more sense don't you think?

Comment

Hiya

Yes I think that would be a good idea, at least then you have them on hand.

Have you requested a Subject Access Request (SAR) from them before?
            If not then it may be a good idea to do this, and you should receive all information on the account, which may be a help for you.

Comment

Since starting this thread in April this year to be honest I did not write to my mortgage company regarding the arrears they believe I have on the account.

I have received another letter recently requesting I send and I & E form as I am approx £600 arrears. Now this sum is totally made up of their own charges and was wandering that maybe I should write to them now?

I could do an SAR or request a breakdown on how they have arrived at this figure for arrears? Not sure what to do...so much going on all over the place at the moment and would appreciate any help from anyone on this.
              Attached Files

Comment

Since starting this thread in April this year to be honest I did not write to my mortgage company regarding the arrears they believe I have on the account.

I have received another letter recently requesting I send and I & E form as I am approx £600 arrears. Now this sum is totally made up of their own charges and was wandering that maybe I should write to them now?

I could do an SAR or request a breakdown on how they have arrived at this figure for arrears? Not sure what to do...so much going on all over the place at the moment and would appreciate any help from anyone on this.

Hiya

In my opinion, I would definately request for a SAR, this should hopefully be a help to the reclaiming, as it should include details of the figures as well.

You can either wait for the SAR to arrive first, then try making a reclaim, or continue whilst waiting for the SAR.

Maybe in this case wait for the SAR first, so you have everything in front of you x

Comment

Thanks di30.....writing out SAR ASAP right now!!!!!!!!!!!! will let you know how I get on, and thanks for popping in.

XX

Comment

Thanks di30.....writing out SAR ASAP right now!!!!!!!!!!!! will let you know how I get on, and thanks for popping in.

XX

Its my pleasure.

Will keep a check on your posts. xx

Comment

Now that is strange? I have received another letter yesterday from Paratus claiming that I am now £871.01 in arrears??????

Last letter they sent was dated 29 August 2012 and this latest letter is dated 31 August 2012!!!

The difference between these two amounts is £264.32...how the hell can they have added an extra £264.32 in 3 days?

I have sent off my SAR and will know more what these charges are for....plus I was thinking that GMAC was fined a lot of money for charging people extortionate arrears charges....but looks like they still are doing it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Now that is strange? I have received another letter yesterday from Paratus claiming that I am now £871.01 in arrears??????

Last letter they sent was dated 29 August 2012 and this latest letter is dated 31 August 2012!!!

The difference between these two amounts is £264.32...how the hell can they have added an extra £264.32 in 3 days?

I have sent off my SAR and will know more what these charges are for....plus I was thinking that GMAC was fined a lot of money for charging people extortionate arrears charges....but looks like they still are doing it.
                        That does seem very odd in a matter of just a few days!

The SAR should hopefully reveal all you need to know. x

Comment

That must be the quickest SAR request I have ever seen....only sent it last Monday....

Just received my SAR back from my mortgage company Paratus./..and in the middle of adding up the charges to date...be back soon.

Comment

That must be the quickest SAR request I have ever seen....only sent it last Monday....

Just received my SAR back from my mortgage company Paratus./..and in the middle of adding up the charges to date...be back soon.

WOW, that's cool!

Comment

arrears so far:

31/01/2012 ARREARS FEE £50.00

01/03/2012 £39.00

05/03/2012 £39.00

11/04/2012 £39.00

10/05/2012 £39.00

09/07/2012 £39.00

08/08/2012 £39.00

I have also checked that I have been charged for non DD payments and also a few payments of £40 for insurance....now I am not sure what they are for but go back to 2004......and was wandering are all these fees re claimable?
                              Last edited by transformer999; 15 September 2012, 13:03.

Comment

Working...
                              X