GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script next step? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

next step?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• next step?

Hi, I've been seeing lots of posts about you on the MSE forums & would value your advice. I apologise in advance for the length of the post, but would like to give some background!

I was pretty succesful in my career, then with my husband invested in a couple of buy to let properties for his pension as he's self employed. Fast forward a couple of years & the bubble burst! I lost my job in 2006 due to ill health ( stress at work leading to acute anxiety) then the recession hit hard as hubby in building trade. We limped along til mid 2008, paying some things - missing others. As I wasn't in a good place healthwise I stopped opening letters cos i knew they just wanted money i hadn't got & couldn't cope with added anxiety.

Situation now... started to unravel debts as i had kept the unopened letters. Pleased to say this happened about a month ago & already made some headway, I just want some advice that i'm doing things right way round as i don't want to make any situation worse. I got my credit files from experian & equifax. I have 1 CCJ, & 12 defaults, all with DCA's. Defaults are 4 from mobile phones & 8 credit cards/loans. I contacted CCCS but they couldn't help me at mo as i had deficit funds until i repay my mortgage debts (another 3 mths) they advised i make £1 offers.

I was thinking at the outset i would have to get an iva, but was worried cos of my age (55) that i would be forced to remortgage at 60. I decided just to look at everything closer. I found i had ppi on 3 cards that i didn't know about so was going to go for miss-sell, before i did i rang to see if i could make a back dated claim, i can so i've just sent them back - will keep you posted. Question for that is, if i do get insurance to pay on them would i be able to reclaim charges & miss-sell later?

I've also claimed fees back on the other 5 cards i know i wasn't paying ppi on (3 have agreed so far -result!) & ppi miss-sell on a card i'd already paid up in 2006. I'm just wondering that as the cards(apart from 1) were in default i know the money will reduce the debt but will that be seen as a payment not a reduction by the DCA's? It doesn't matter on the ones I've dealt with so far but I now have 1 egg card left & a Sainsbury's bank loan that i don't have any statements for to see if i was paying ppi. I intend to send of for the CCA's but am holding back as not sure if that will be an acknowledgement, & i don't want to do that just yet as i will have acknowledged enough & realise the dca's will be demanding enough with them! Both defaulted in 2006. I'm hoping that if i do manage to get some money back through my claims i will be able to offer F&F on the 4 mobile accts, & then snowball? the others (all around 2K) Question on this is, as I cant pay anything at mo am i right to think best way for these would be to try & pay a F&F on say Egg, then claim charges/ppi ? I'm thinking if i claim charges 1st as i have done on the others i have no leway to offer F&F as it will just reduce amount on the cards, but if one repayment (from the already paid card's claims) is enough for me to get a decent amount to offer as a F&F then i would actually get any reclaim money, & so could use that to offer to Sainsbury's & do it again using that to offer F&F on other accounts. Am I way off mark?? I'm so pleased about results ive already had the forums are a god send i never thought i'd be able to tackle my problems they seemed too overwhelming. TUIA
    I wish I was a glow worm, a glow worm's never glum.
    Cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines from your bum

Re: next step?

Hi

why have you gone down this route? If they have already defaulted you then leave it - let sleeping dogs lie and after 6yrs it will all be gone (Statute Barred) - If you've not posted anything yet then don't!

I can't advise much right now til I know whether you're saying you have or are planning to send letters..... you should consider UE as well.... see here: ---> viewforum.php?f=13
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Eek!! ;F-
      So far i have sent reclaim letters to
      mbna - paid up acct(still waiting for reply)
      barclaycard - owed £414 but not defaulted(had £306 reclaim accepted)
      capital one -defaulted (still waiting for reply)
      sainsbury's x 2 - defaulted (they accepted claim)

i've sent insurance claims to
      rbs, mint & virgin(all defaulted)
      not made any other claims or sent any letters to ol or dca's

i've sent ppi miss-sell claim to
      mbna (but i'd closed this acct in 2006- paid in full)

not done anything about
      sainsbury's loan, egg card & 4 mobile co (all defaulted)

I thought from reading the mse forums i was doing the best thing by reducing my debts as much as poss through reclaims & then offer F&F, just wondered if i'd been better doing it other way round. I take it you think i'm best doing nothing & wait until they're statute barred? Please can you advise as could still do that for the ones i've not done anything about? If i don't get accepted under my sickness cover will the fact i've claimed be seen as an acknowledgement if i only wrote to the insurer's? Can you clarify the situation re statute barred for the 3 in default i've claimed for?

Wish i'd found you first ;F-

Comment

Hi again

Meant to ask, what is UE? What do I do?

Thanks

Comment

UE is unenforceability - see here: --->>> viewforum.php?f=13
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hi again,
            Thanks i'll try & absorb UE later. Are you able to give any further advise to the questions i asked in post before UE question?

Comment

Hi
              Right well the reason I thought not to leave those dogs is although they sleep a lot, they've been known to circle me with their gnashers showing, so worried that they'll pounce & rip me to shreds (well a ccj anyway). Then off course they'll sleep a while & then another pack will attack a while later lol

I'm finding I smile a lot now thanks to you guys! In the 70's we got into trouble after my husband got made redundant & I wasn't working as had small children. We were only 20 at the start of it, & consolidated to get rid of the debts only to realise we couldn't afford payments (you think the interest is bad now - not anywhere close to those seemingly unregulated days) then the threats came & we paid what we could to the loudest barks but still ended up with ccj's & not all at the same time either, so we entered an at least 10 yr phase of a demolished credit file (although we didn't have a clue what that meant!) Anyway once bitten have tried so hard to never go back to those dark days, but hey here I am all those yrs later but a lot older & a teeny bit wiser but still the same scardey cat til I found forums lol.

In the last mth my journey has bee at a fast pace
              1) Decided I really need to face my demons, so added up both our debt - around 35K EEK!! First thought was to hide again but been through enough lately so thought if i could get proactive might help me become strong again. So I rang CCS & an appt was made for 1 week later.
              2) In that week found the forums & because I couldn't believe I'd ever be able to repay 35K thought IVA may be the answer for me. Soon realised it wouldn't as I would maybe be told to remortgage at 60, don't think i'd get one but didn't want to worry for 4 yrs either! As I said earlier we've got 2 BTL properties. One is in neg equity at mo & the other has at most 30k equity. We'd hoped at the end of the term there'd be enough to repay the equity we'd released which was 15k dep each for the 2, plus have some for my husband's pension.As we used 30K from remortgaging our home on interest only, we really need to repay the deposits back into ours so knew at this stage we need to find another way. Some forum members made me feel guilty on that other site for even daring to think about trying to not lose everything in order to pay my debts .
              3) CCCS couldn't help as we have a deficit until we've repaid all mortgage debt (dec) but advised to offer £1. I was on the forums 24/7 though at this point so decided to try the reclaim/ F&F route 1st. Started to feel empowered when I was adding up the amounts I'd get reduced. Then started wondering if I'd be best to offer F&F as & when I could firstly then reclaim so i'd get the money to offer another F&F, repeating when I could. So whilst looking for answers heard about NID.
              4) Halted sending anymore letters, read UE not understood 100% but listed mine (will also add my husband's debts). I have heard uf unenforcibility from reading a story in the papers that someone had been taken to court for repossesion & the judge threw it out as it was unenforceable & it meant the couple had no mortgage debt! I thought that you had to go to court etc,
              5) Don't know what happened in my sleep but woke up this morning with what I think is 100% knowledge of UE (hope I'm right)
              Here goes.....
              If I find something in the CCA that makes it unenforceable - I don't have to pay anything more! The hounds can do as much howling as they want BUT they can't take me to court, they've already done their worse & got a default!! After 6 yrs the default will drop off. 6 yrs after I paid a penny they become SB, so not only will the defaults drop off - the debt can never be enforced. That applies to all my cc/loan defaults, just the ones I've had succesful claims ones will now have to start again as acknowledged so they'll not be statute barred until 6 yrs from now.
              AM I RIGHT??
              Also I have to find out if they are UE, if they are I sit tight with a grin on my cheshire cat face, if not, I can restart thinking about offering F&F. I couldn't understand why none of these accts, despite the threats, had never gone to court, just got passed on - maybe it's cos they knew the debts they were chasing was UE!
              HAVE I GOT IT???

Comment

Originally posted by findingaway
                Here goes.....
                If I find something in the CCA that makes it unenforceable - I don't have to pay anything more! The hounds can do as much howling as they want BUT they can't take me to court, they've already done their worse & got a default!! After 6 yrs the default will drop off. 6 yrs after I paid a penny they become SB, so not only will the defaults drop off - the debt can never be enforced. That applies to all my cc/loan defaults, just the ones I've had succesful claims ones will now have to start again as acknowledged so they'll not be statute barred until 6 yrs from now.
                AM I RIGHT??
                Also I have to find out if they are UE, if they are I sit tight with a grin on my cheshire cat face, if not, I can restart thinking about offering F&F. I couldn't understand why none of these accts, despite the threats, had never gone to court, just got passed on - maybe it's cos they knew the debts they were chasing was UE!
                HAVE I GOT IT???
                Yes you are right, basically you've got it worked to a "T" - well done. As you have reclaimed from some, you've reset the SB clock to 6yrs from date of reclaim.....

Regards to what to do next, yep - apply for the CCA (plus send £1) then wait and see what comes back, email to me and i'll then confirm if UE or not. If so, you ignore them as they can take no formal action (or if they try then you apply for set-aside quoting s.127 - my signature). If they are enforceable, you blag it and pretend they are not until you actually get court papers served (if at all, not all will follow this route) and then agree to a monthly payment plan or F&F settlement out of court, instead of defending the court papers.

Make sense?

Comment

Yes crystal clear! Not gonna beat myself up for doing it wrong way round - not the first time I've made mistakes & sure it won't be the last lol - but at least the defaults will all drop off when they would have, just SB take longer but I can live with that! keeping my fingers crossed re insurance claims though.

I'll send the CCA letters off this next week.
                  i've defected to unenforcibilty thread now, just to reduce any confusion lol

Comment

Oh before I forget, I meant to ask you if a CCA request was the "prove it" letter I've seen people talking about on the other forum?

Comment

No go to templates and it's number 1 in the unenforceable templates. I can't link cos am on iPhone.....

Comment

Hi all,

I've just been checking my credit file to see if the 2 sainsbury's reclaims have been taken off the amount yet. They haven't & they are both with DCA's.

I've remembered seeing something about if it has been bought by a DCA I can request the cash instead ... I don't wish my money to go to a third party, but can't find it in a search, so now not sure where I saw it. Can anyone let me know if it's true? If it is, would it be ok to ring the no sainsbury's gave me "if they could offer further help"?

Comment

Originally posted by findingaway
                          Hi all,

I've just been checking my credit file to see if the 2 sainsbury's reclaims have been taken off the amount yet. They haven't & they are both with DCA's.

I've remembered seeing something about if it has been bought by a DCA I can request the cash instead ... I don't wish my money to go to a third party, but can't find it in a search, so now not sure where I saw it. Can anyone let me know if it's true? If it is, would it be ok to ring the no sainsbury's gave me "if they could offer further help"?
                          The DCA will not have full assignee rights to the debt and so will usually pass back to the lender to deduct reclaim amounts from the overall balance owing. Its done like this to stop people trying to get a cash-back deal which technically, the banks see as wrong! They would I s'pose.....

But in theory, you'll find the account will be passed back to the lender who will, if successful, deduct all charges agreed from the actual account in question unless that leaves a positive sum in which they would then refund you or use it to offset ;EEK

Comment

Thanks Niddy

According to paperwork Sainsbury's sold these 2 accts - 1 to Hillesden, the other to Cabot & in the letter claiming I was treated fairly blah blah, they said the money would be paid to the agency. It's just I'm sure I read somewhere about being able to request it paid back to you if the debt had already been sold on. Maybe just wishful thinking...

Comment

Hi ;Hi1

Just wanted to check I'm ok to do NOTHING with this at mo other than file!

Got a letter from apex today re their client RBS - just bog standard " instructed by RBS after prev attempts by other agencies" (Last letter was from AIC in April) goes on to say " this is potentially your last oppurtunity before further action will be cosidered" So saying nothing I've not heard before.

Only reason I'm checking on this is I have filed a claim for sickness cover on the ppi (via the ins co) over a week ago now so should be hearing from them shortly, don't know if that's triggered the change of agency.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X