GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Collections Direct Help Needed for Mum - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collections Direct Help Needed for Mum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collections Direct Help Needed for Mum

My mum has received two letter from "Collections Direct" company threatning court action of two unpaid bills. Gas £134.10 & Electric £149.12.

Now I know that she has been with EDF for the past few months and was with British Gas before them. She paid all that was owed to BG before she went with EDF but no idea what these two bills are for as this is the first she has heard of them.

How do we find out what these are for and which utility company they are from please?
    Last edited by transformer999; 22 January 2012, 12:18.

Re: Collections Direct Help Needed for Mum

It'll be the old account. So I'd presume BG.

Your new supplier would write with red bills!!!!
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Niddy but she does not owe any amount to the old supplier and the new one is set up with DD payments.

Comment

have you read ferguson v british gas?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul. View Post
          You mean this: ---> http://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2009/46.html

Love the opening statement from Judge Jacob

1. It is one of the glories of this country that every now and then one of its citizens is prepared to take a stand against the big battalions of government or industry.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Paul. View Post

Thanks Paul...with all that is going on with me at the moment I don't think or hope my mums case gets that far, so will try and nip it in the bud.

Plus we found out the supplier is Npower...and my mum does not recall being with them. I have written a letter to them and will wait to see what response they give and will post up soon as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by transformer999 View Post
              My mum has received two letter from "Collections Direct" company threatning court action of two unpaid bills. Gas £134.10 & Electric £149.12.

Now I know that she has been with EDF for the past few months and was with British Gas before them. She paid all that was owed to BG before she went with EDF but no idea what these two bills are for as this is the first she has heard of them.

How do we find out what these are for and which utility company they are from please?
              This may have something to do with meter readings when your Mum changed supplier. The outgoing account provider is supposed to pass an accurate meter reading to the incoming supplier so you don't get charged twice for the same gas/electric usage. Did anyone read your Mum's meter at the changeover or are the old/new companies doing the maths from estimates? This happens a lot when the outgoing supplier gets greedy and over-estimates I would tell your Mum to get copies of the last bill from BG and the first bill from EDF and see whether any of this nonsense is being based on facts or fiction

There's always a complaint to the Ombudsman (not the FOS it's a different one for energy suppliers) www.ombudsman-services.org and/or if you're really cross report them to the energy regulator OFGEM if you can't make EDF/BG see sense so check out the complaints procedure on their website too www.ofgem.gov.uk

Fingers crossed

*Collections Direct* have a duty to name the creditor (EDF or BG) on those letters too.

Comment

Thanks PlanB...I will ask my mum later if someone did read her meter and let you know. I have more pressing things to sort out at the moment. Thanks a lot for you help.

Comment

If Npower is the baddie your Mum can still threaten them with the Ombudsman. First request a copy of all bills from them. If Npower wasn't her supplier they won't be able to do that Ask all three (BG, EDF & Npower) for a copy of any contract from the start too. This is not to prove UE but to see whether your Mum actually agreed anything with them in the first place.

I've heard of cases where a supplier claims you as a customer just becuase you've gone on a comparison website and entered all your personal details for a quote

Remember the supplier isn't actually delivering the gas to your Mum's front door in a lorry - this is just a billing operation on a computer which is where errors can and do occur

Comment

Great advice and yes that is a good idea PlanB....I will get on to that later today
                    Last edited by transformer999; 14 October 2012, 21:35.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                      I've heard of cases where a supplier claims you as a customer just because you've gone on a comparison website and entered all your personal details for a quote
                      It has not been completely unknown for a utility sales-wallah to blag personal details from someone's neighbours, to collect data from looking through their dustbins or simply to invent data, so that they'll get another sale and will be able to eat for another week.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        It has not been completely unknown for a utility sales-wallah to blag personal details from someone's neighbours, to collect data from looking through their dustbins or simply to invent data
                        You make that sound like a junior reporter's night shift on the News of the World

Comment

There is a word commonly used to describe Npower sales-wallahs - link 1, link 2.

They are known as liars.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                            You make that sound like a junior reporter's night shift on the News of the World
                            Did I?

In that case, I should apologise for any slight I may have made against the journalist.
                            You cannot hope to bribe or twist
                            The British tabloid journalist
                            And, having seen what the oaf will do
                            Unbribed, there's no occasion to!

On the whole, though, I'd say the journalist had a little more honour.
                            Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 23 January 2012, 17:03. Reason: improved flow of poem

Comment

Long time since I posted on here. In April 12 I wrote a letter on behalf of mum disputing the NPower debt. I sent this letter to BCW and below is their response.

Since then my mum did not hear anything from them again until yesterday she received a letter from Moorcroft sent her a letter. They state that to prevent legal proceedings my mum must pay or contact them.

Now as my mum has not heard from BCW since their last letter in April 12 in which they advise that their client (NPower) to send my mum a copy of the invoice.....and until then they will cease all collection activities. My mum has never received a copy neither heard from BCW since then either.

I was thinking would it be a good idea to send Moorcroft a copy of BCW's letter and advise them that they are dealing with my mum's request?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X