GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problems With EDF! - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems With EDF!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems With EDF!

Hi all,

I'm having a little problem with EDF at the moment and any advice would be great.

I pay my electric on receipt of the bill and as I hadn't received a bill in months i contacted EDF and asked for one, they said they would send one asap. It was getting on for 12 months until they finally sent it!! I received a bill dated 18/4 which was for £265.12, which wasn't too much of a problem to pay but soon after i received another bill dated 29/4 for £220.69 making the whole amount £485.81. Now this was a problem to pay!! Due to not being billed and then having 2 my account went into debt ;-( I advised EDF that i couldn't afford to pay the whole of this amount so it would have to be £25 a week or so until its paid and they agreed to it.

A few weeks later i had a man knock at the door telling me he'd come round on behalf of EDF and my debt! I explained the situation and i was paying it off as and when i could. He said as i'd been in contact with EDF that was fine and left (i did notice he'd written 'DOG' on his paperwork in big letters as he'd heard my dog barking and was obviously making note of it!)

Now i've just received my latest bill from EDF and I'm still obviously in debt as it hasn't all been paid yet but i saw there was a 'miscellaneous fee' for £30. I emailed them to ask what this was and they said it was for the pre-disconnection visit to my property and putting me on a pre-payment meter!!!! I had no idea they were planning this as i've had no correspondence from them regarding it. I cant believe it, especially when the situation occurred due to bad billing. I really don't want to be put on a pre-payment meter, I don't think my landlord would like it either ;-(

Is there anything i can do? Perhaps beg and borrow the remaining amount then pay and switch before i get another visit?

Re: Problems With EDF!

Hi Clairebear,
    Sorry to hear of your trouble with EDF.
    First things first: have you checked both bills are correct, i.e via readings?
    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Missy,

Thanks for the reply. Yep i do believe they are correct but the bills cover such a long period its hard to tell. The first bill dated 18/4 was for the period 25 July 2011 ~ 24 Jan 2013....just the 550 days on one bill!!! I'm not sure why its such a long period as i paid a bill in Aug 2012 (which was shown as a credit on this bill) so this bill should have been from Aug 2012 not July 2011. Strangely the bill i paid in August has disappeared from my on-line account so i cant see it any more!

The second dated 29/4 was for the period 25 Jan 2013 ~ 26 April 2013 which is a little better to understand. From what i can tell they look ok ;-/

Comment

Hi.
        why does it date back to 2011? When was the last time you paid them?
        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I really don't know why they have billed me for such a long period when i paid a bill in Aug 2012. It does show it on the 2011-2013 bill as a credit so i know there not charging me twice as it states 'last time you owed:- 25 July 2011 ~ 26 July 2012 £107.45' then it shows a credit of £140.45 where i paid the bill and a bit extra.

Its just all terrible, confusing billing from EDF!! At the time i never said anything about the bill covering such a long period as i could see they hadn't over charged me so just left it, wish i had picked them up on it straight away now.....especially after i had the second bill come through days later

Comment

hiya,

It's about the standard i would expect from these crappy utility companies. Some seem better than others in fairness, slightly!

I would call their accounts department asking for a full breakdown of your account as something is a miss here.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Comment

Thanks Missy will do! I'm not happy as up until now I've always been in credit with them. I cant understand how there billing periods can be so different when I'm supposed to have a bill quarterly?! These are the billing periods for my last four bills:-

25/07/2011 - 26/07/2012 = 368 days
              25/07/2011 - 24/01/2013 = 550 days
              25/01/2013 - 26/04/2013 = 92 days
              27/04/2013 - 01/08/2013 = 97 days

In the meantime, i'll still pay my £25 but can they come and swap me onto a pre-payment meter or can i hold off any of there actions until this is dealt with?
              Last edited by Clairebear; 15 August 2013, 15:58.

Comment

25/07/2011 - 26/07/2012 = 368 days

Someone else, i forget who, told me on one of my threads that they can not bill you for usage after 12 months of no bills, this puts them over by 3 days.

Comment

Thanks SX, i'll have to look into that! I'm so angry at them I've not been able to sleep properly. Tried contacting there customer services yesterday to be told its been passed onto the debt handler and i have to speak to those directly and also book a time for them to come and change my meter!! There not listening to me and the fact i'm in this situation due to there billing!!!

I was wondering this morning as the bill is in my name only, could i tell them I'm moving out at the end of the month then have my other half apply for gas & electric in his name from another supplier, like he's just moved in? Obviously I'll still have the EDF debt to pay but if were not with them then they cant just come round and change my meter to pre-payment?

Comment

Have you actually complained officially? if not, you need to. They've made so many mistakes it's obviously some dumpling who hasn't a clue that is handling this.

Find out who the CEO is and email him with the whole sorry story, be angry and assertive in your email but not abusive (so hard, I know), CEO's hate getting these emails and most have a team to deal, and that's usually when these ballsups get dealt with. I have given up complaining or phoning customer services, we've had a problem with out bank and out power supplier and an airline in the last 2 years, I have gone to the CEO everytime, got it sorted and received compensation and oodles of apologies. Business is hopeless, the chances of finding someone sensible and interested in a customer service environment a nil to bugger all. They are set targets to deal with complaints really quickly and the quickest way to deal with most complaints is to palm it off somewhere else....................................think about it.

found this EDF CEO Vincent de Rivaz, vincent.derivaz@edfenergy.com

Comment

Thank you so much MrsD, I'll draft an email today. i've mailed there CS and billing team but it's got me no where so the next step was going to be there complaints dept. I'm just a little panicked at the moment when it comes to this as I've read all these stories about them coming round with a locksmith and or the police with the right to enter your property and change the meter. I work from home and I'm by myself all day so if they come i'll be here alone and the prospect terrifies me ;-(

Comment

Hi, follow MrsD's advice and get your email off ASAP; also stress how worried you are being in the property on your own.

Every time I have a complaint I go to the CEO and I have had prompt replies and success.

Comment

yep get it off ASAP because EDF will likely move swifty to obtain a warrant to enter to change the meter, they dish these out like confetti, so if they know you dont want it changed, they will go ahead and get one.

Comment

Hi Clairebear,
                            Sorry for the delay in replying to you. As already said, complain to the CEO - its the only way. All Utility companies are known for bouncing people around the building opposed to actually taking ownership of a problem and dealing with it.
                            Totally understand your anger on this, but try to relax as i am sure you will get to the bottom of it with AAD's help.
                            Is your meter inside, or outside the property?

Cheers
                            Missy

Comment

Thanks Missy the support is priceless! I'm just finishing off my email now and shall be sending it over, fingers crossed i get some sense back.

Well my meter is outside in a cupboard but i believe they think its inside as that guy who visited put 'DOG' on his paperwork. I think he was making notes for when/if they try to come in, saying there's a dog in the property! I did have my meter changed a few months ago to a smart meter, ive heard electricity companies can disconnect or change you onto pre-payment at the touch of a boutton and there's no need to visit, not sure if that's right but if so i don't think EDF know i have that either.

Comment

Working...
                              X