GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script British Gas - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas

Hi Guys,

I am in a similar position with BG except they haven't registered a default AFAIK. I have has a string of correspondence with them, both verbal and email, and am now at the "highest level of complaint" with them.

The Circumstances: I moved into a property in July 2008, and my landlord gave my details to BG as the new tenant - fine. I never recieved a welcome pack, or any other correspondence, only the first bill. Move forward 3 years, and all is well until i tell them i'm moving out! I give a final meter reading (had paid by fixed DD until then) and they tell me I owe them some money (but i cant remember now how much). I made several payments to them over a 3 month period, and as I remember, they said it was settled. They always had my forwarding address and details to contact me should they need. Over that 3 month period, I paid £464.50! No more contact ever arose from BG.

Move forward another year to November 2012!

I apply for a loan and get turned down! Madness, my Credit file is perfect I thought. How wrong I was. I obtained a copy of my credit file and there were 3 things on there I didnt expect - British Gas - Gas, British Gas - Electricity, and a Default by Santander (a 2 minute call to Santander confirmed they had made a mistake and the history and markers were removed within 24 hours, and I got £160 compensation!). So, onto British Gas.

Rather than phone them, and go through customer services which the internet assures me would have been frustrating, I sent the following email (thanks NID):

To Complaints, Chris Jansen, Sara Richardson, Janette Pincott, Lynda Campbell, & Philip Bentley.
    FAO: Andy Eley - Head of Complaints
    Complaints Management Team
    British Gas
    PO Box 4804
    Worthing
    BN11 9QU
    CC: Chris Jansen, Sara Richardson, & Janette Pincott.

Dear Mr Eley,

Ref: Account at ****** – ACC No: ending 0345 Elec & 0800 Gas – S10 Cease & Desist

I am writing regards to some erroneous entries that have suddenly appeared on my credit file, and wish to dispute them in totality.

I am sending this email as a first point of contact, as research into my issue shows I am most definitely not the first to have this issue, and that calling through your Customer Service team will result in frustration and anxiety.

When I first moved into the above named property in 2007, I was signed up to British Gas directly by the Landlord of the property, and as such had no initial contact with yourselves on account opening. This means that at no point was I informed that you were planning on sharing my personal data, similarly, I had never agreed to such either. Had I have been informed me of this 'little' fact, then my business would have been taken elsewhere immediately!

I understand you will try and make incorrect claims about the fact that I consented in my contract with you to the disclosure by you of certain data to third parties, however to be crystal clear, this is not the facts at all. At no time did I consent and neither was it within the contemplation of the parties to the contract that I did consent to the processing by you of that data, in any manner which would be unfair or inaccurate or which in any way would breach The Data Protection Act 1998.

Therefore, take notice that I require you cease from processing my personal data and arrange for any historical data to be removed from the credit reference agencies within 14 days from the date of this letter. I have never given you authority to share my personal data, other than to fairly process it within the normal remit of conducting my account within my capacity as a British Gas customer. I have never authorised you to process any personal data with third parties, certainly not credit reference agencies. Tell me, why would I choose British Gas when you're the only energy firm that does this, if I'd known about it at the time? Quite simply, I did not and therefore believe that British Gas are in direct contravention of the Data Protection Act.

Unless you arrange to remove all the historical data from the credit reference agencies and agree to some form of suitable compensation for my troubles and distress, then I'll not only report you to the ICO for your breaches but I shall also look to contact Watchdog as they have previously mentioned the way in which you unlawfully changed contracts to include elements about sharing personal data, however unfortunately you do not have a God-given right to do this - you need your customer to agree in advance, and I did not.

I am also considering legal action against you on the basis that the 2 entries onto my Credit File – the only 2 red marks on my entire file – are causing me difficulty obtaining a decent level of finance, so please do not force my hand into starting such action as it will also be brought to the courts attention that I have tried to explain things to you thus any rebuff by British Gas will be classed as vexatious and wasting the courts time by abusing the processes when you know you have no real case to answer.

However, if you can provide me a taped recording of my consent or a signature FROM ME on an agreement that confirms I was happy to share my personal data, then please be so kind as to furnish me with a copy, and I will accept your position. If you force me to utilise s.7 DPA (1998) then I will also reclaim the £10 SAR fee from you as part of any claim against you.

Please note this is not a request but a demand to remove all historical data from my credit files.

Furthermore, I understand your regulator, OFGEM, has been investigating the ways in which you suddenly started reporting against private and personal data, so a formal complaint will also be forthcoming to them should you not satisfactory deal with my simple request.

This notice is given on the grounds that the processing by you of the said data has affected my credit rating and my reputation and caused substantial damage and/or substantial distress to me and my family members in addition to that which may already have been caused and that as the processing of the said data in the way referred to in this notice would violate the fourth, first and sixth principles of The Data Protection Act 1998 to do so would be unwarranted.

I therefore look forward to confirmation that you've sorted the above, and removed all unlawful data from all third party unauthorised companies, within the next 14 days.

I can provide my current address, and contact information if required for the request to be resolved.

Yours faithfully,
    24 hours later and I get a call from them, from a Rachel Snow who is a "Senior Complaints Manager" for "higher up complaints". Several to and fro's ensue, and she claims that as they have a credit consumer licence they can simply enter details on anyones file. I shoot back about DPA, and she claims legal team tell her its all fine so there is nothing she can do. During this, it is established that I did actually owe them some money, even though it says settled on my credit file and i am 99% certain they said it was settled in 2011 after the payments I made.

After all this (it took 11 days!) I sent a follow-up email:

To: rachel.snow@britishgas.co.uk
    Cc: 'chris.jansen@britishgas.co.uk'; 'sara.richardson@britishgas.co.uk'; 'janette.pincott@britishgas.co.uk'; 'Lynda.Campbell@centrica.com'; 'phillip.bentley@britishgas.co.uk'
    Subject: FAO: Rachel Snow - CC'd Philip Bentley, Chris Jansen, Sara Richardson, Janette Pincott, Lynda Campbell.

Dear British Gas,

Ref: *****

I, with reference to previous correspondence and conversations which are getting me nowhere, send this letter as my final attempt for resolution prior to my seeking clarity from the Energy Ombudsman, the Information Commissioner, and the legal system for your clear breaches of the Data Protection Act.

I clearly stated in my first letter what the problems were, I went into enough detail to afford you the opportunity to properly and fully investigate my claims. Following this investigation you told me clearly you had the right to put my data with the CRA’s, and I do not dispute this fact. What I do dispute however, is my repeated lack of acknowledgement let alone agreement to you being allowed to do this. I never ever gave my authority to share information and I have already put you to strict proof regards this - show me the agreement with my signature on it or the call where I clearly state I am authorising you to do so.

For the record, following further discussion with my legal adviser, it is not the position of OFGEM or Ombudsman to advise if you're eligible to post details of accounts to the CRA's or other 3rd parties - it is up to the customer who would need to give you clear permission, usually by way of signing an agreement or verbally agreeing.

I have asked for this agreement bearing any signature of mine, but you fail to acknowledge this request as we both know it does not exist as I never gave any such authority and therefore you are in direct breach of varying DPA (1998) principles let alone the breaches within your own regulatory framework, which will also be rigorously pursued. I know you state that your legal team say this is a deemed contract and therefore my using your service means a contract is deemed in place, but a contract of this nature is not allowed, by law, to breach the principles of the DPA especially the 6th principle – “personal data must be Processed in accordance with the “data subject’s” (the individual’s) rights”. Furthermore, by processing this data without my EXPRESS (not inferred or deemed) permission, and that the processing by you of the said data has affected my credit rating and my reputation and caused substantial distress to me in refuting this processing, you are also breaching the 1st principle – “personal data must be Processed fairly and lawfully”. Lastly, the data you have placed on the credit file shows a discrepancy between the figure you claimed I owed, the that which I actually did (stated 19/12/12 in a call with Rachel) which in turn breaches the 4th principle – “personal data must be Accurate and up to date”.

I therefore, again, send a copy of my previous letter, copied below, to your Chief Exec. Not only will it show him that you do not listen to your customers, but it will also enlighten him to your attitude towards the law and the way you process customer data.

This is truly the last chance for this matter to resolved without the input from outside bodies, and I expect this matter to be dealt with, satisfactorily, within 30 working days of this email. Should it not, my next course of action will be the national press, tv, regulatory bodies and lastly, the legal system.

Best Regards,
    NAME REMOVED - Oscar

I then get a call from a Jodie Dalton - apparently the "Personal Complaints Manager" and is the "highest level of complaint". Because my details had been twice sent from Lynda Campbell to her, she had to take over my account!

The call lasted around 35 minutes, and centered around her claiming that a "deemed contract" which is what I had, (she confirmed I had never signed, nor given direct verbal permission for my data to be shared) - was enough for them to report on the CRA regardless of my thoughts. I told her had I have known about the reporting I would have never been with BG. She said that was my prerogative, but even if I had known, the supply started with them, and there would have been a period of 4-6 weeks changeover where my deemed contract would have stood.

I am not, nor have never been a bad payer. British Gas are the only single red mark on my Credit file and I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall trying to get this resolved.

Jodie is currently investigating as to whether I was given "fair opportunity to pay" before they made entries to my credit file, and that my DPA argument wouldn't ever hold up if it made it to court.

I think it is her trying to wriggle out and get me not to chase, so I told her fine, do whatever you need to do to get the details off of my credit file, and you can make yourself feel better by saying it wasn't the breaches of the DPA that made you remove them.

I am now awaiting a call back!

How do i proceed with this from here?!?!?!

(sorry for the essay!!)
    Last edited by oscar; 23 January 2013, 15:56.

Re: British Gas Late Payments affecting Mortgage!

Wait till they remove the entries then complain to the regulators. Your DPA argument would so have merit in court!!

Good luck
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

What if they will not remove the markers? What if they say they sent me letters I know they didn't? My concern is that they will stonewall me....

Comment

Wait for a formal response. Too many "what ifs" don't actually matter right now cos we could discuss something that is irrelevant. However I suspect, knowing BG, this is far from resolved. If they claim to have sent letters then SAR them and get proof direct from system notes. It's for them to prove delivery. Not for you to prove non delivery.

They are a nightmare and should never be allowed to utilise CRA's....
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

OK!

Missed a call from her at lunch today, and she has gone home now, so need to wait for her to call tomorrow.

Thanks Niddy.

Comment

Righty! Another long post!

I finally received a call from Jodie. Her position was, we definitely sent you a lot of emails and letters so you knew about the debt. I said that was fine as I was not disputing the debt, and that she needed to stop fixating on this fact. I was disputing the right of BG to share my data without my knowledge or explicit consent.

She said she would check with the "Data Protection guy", so whilst she was doing this, I sent her another email.

Sent: 21 December 2012 14:29
            To: 'jodie.dalton3@britishgas.co.uk'
            Subject: Aaron Smith

Jodie,

Further to your request in our earlier conversation, please find below the information within the Data Protection Act 2008 – Schedule 2 & 3 as taken directly from Data Protection Act 1998 .

To share data with any 3rd parties you must comply with at least one part as a minimum from both Schedule 2 and 3.

SCHEDULE 2
            CONDITIONS RELEVANT FOR PURPOSES OF THE FIRST PRINCIPLE: PROCESSING OF ANY PERSONAL DATA
            1The data subject has given his consent to the processing.
            2The processing is necessary—
            (a)for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is a party, or
            (b)for the taking of steps at the request of the data subject with a view to entering into a contract.
            3The processing is necessary for compliance with any legal obligation to which the data controller is subject, other than an obligation imposed by contract.
            4The processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject.
            5The processing is necessary—
            (a)for the administration of justice,
            (b)for the exercise of any functions conferred on any person by or under any enactment,
            (c)for the exercise of any functions of the Crown, a Minister of the Crown or a government department, or
            (d)for the exercise of any other functions of a public nature exercised in the public interest by any person.

SCHEDULE 3
            CONDITIONS RELEVANT FOR PURPOSES OF THE FIRST PRINCIPLE: PROCESSING OF SENSITIVE PERSONAL DATA
            1The data subject has given his explicit consent to the processing of the personal data.
            2(1)The processing is necessary for the purposes of exercising or performing any right or obligation which is conferred or imposed by law on the data controller in connection with employment.
            (2)The [F151 Secretary of State] may by order—
            (a)exclude the application of sub-paragraph (1) in such cases as may be specified, or
            (b)provide that, in such cases as may be specified, the condition in sub-paragraph (1) is not to be regarded as satisfied unless such further conditions as may be specified in the order are also satisfied.
            (a)in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or another person, in a case where—
            (i)consent cannot be given by or on behalf of the data subject, or
            (ii)the data controller cannot reasonably be expected to obtain the consent of the data subject, or
            (b)in order to protect the vital interests of another person, in a case where consent by or on behalf of the data subject has been unreasonably withheld.
            4The processing—
            (a)is carried out in the course of its legitimate activities by any body or association which—
            (i)is not established or conducted for profit, and
            (ii)exists for political, philosophical, religious or trade-union purposes,
            (b)is carried out with appropriate safeguards for the rights and freedoms of data subjects,
            (c)relates only to individuals who either are members of the body or association or have regular contact with it in connection with its purposes, and
            (d)does not involve disclosure of the personal data to a third party without the consent of the data subject.
            5The information contained in the personal data has been made public as a result of steps deliberately taken by the data subject.
            6The processing—
            (a)is necessary for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings),
            (b)is necessary for the purpose of obtaining legal advice, or
            (c)is otherwise necessary for the purposes of establishing, exercising or defending legal rights.
            7(1)The processing is necessary—
            (a)for the administration of justice,
            (b)for the exercise of any functions conferred on any person by or under an enactment, or
            (c)for the exercise of any functions of the Crown, a Minister of the Crown or a government department.
            (2)The [F153 Secretary of State] may by order—
            (a)exclude the application of sub-paragraph (1) in such cases as may be specified, or
            (b)provide that, in such cases as may be specified, the condition in sub-paragraph (1) is not to be regarded as satisfied unless such further conditions as may be specified in the order are also satisfied.
            7A(1)The processing—
            (a)is either—
            (i)the disclosure of sensitive personal data by a person as a member of an anti-fraud organisation or otherwise in accordance with any arrangements made by such an organisation; or
            (ii)any other processing by that person or another person of sensitive personal data so disclosed; and
            (b)is necessary for the purposes of preventing fraud or a particular kind of fraud.
            (2)In this paragraph “an anti-fraud organisation” means any unincorporated association, body corporate or other person which enables or facilitates any sharing of information to prevent fraud or a particular kind of fraud or which has any of these functions as its purpose or one of its purposes.
            8(1)The processing is necessary for medical purposes and is undertaken by—
            (a)a health professional, or
            (b)a person who in the circumstances owes a duty of confidentiality which is equivalent to that which would arise if that person were a health professional.
            (2)In this paragraph “medical purposes” includes the purposes of preventative medicine, medical diagnosis, medical research, the provision of care and treatment and the management of healthcare services.
            9(1)The processing—
            (a)is of sensitive personal data consisting of information as to racial or ethnic origin,
            (b)is necessary for the purpose of identifying or keeping under review the existence or absence of equality of opportunity or treatment between persons of different racial or ethnic origins, with a view to enabling such equality to be promoted or maintained, and
            (c)is carried out with appropriate safeguards for the rights and freedoms of data subjects.
            It is incredibly clear upon reading, and re-reading the above stipulated legal terms set out in the Data Protection Act (2008), that you have failed to comply with EVERY SINGLE POINT stated, which would give you the right to penalise me for 6 years of credit history.

You seem incredibly fixated on the fact I owed money to British Gas. Allow me to make it clear – once I was told (3 days ago) that I did indeed owe you money, I have not disputed the fact. However, had I have definitively known about this fact, I would have rectified it at the time. This point has no bearing on your clear and blatant breaches of the DPA – and is a point I would appreciate not being used any further to try to justify the breaches stated.

Furthermore, in addition to the above DPA breaches, you have also breached my rights under the Consumer Rights Directive (2008) on the basis of an Unfair Contract. Article 32 – General Principles states:
            “A contract term is regarded unfair if, contrary to good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in one parties rights and obligations to the detriment of the consumer” – It is my right under the terms of the Data Protection Act to NOT have my data shared with ANY third party without my EXPLICIT consent, and also without the issue of a Privacy Notice (note, not hidden within your T&C’s) stating how my data will be used within and by your organisation – which was also not received. British Gas continually claim I had a deemed contract with you – if you continue to state this fact, then I will pursue breach of contract on the basis of the CRD.

I wish to discuss this issue no further, and clearly we are at a stalemate. Should you not make moves to remove the data from my file within the original 30 working day deadline stated, then the routes previously mentioned will be rigorously pursued.

Regards,
            Aaron Smith
            Now what? lol. I just hope she comes back with her tail between her legs I guess?
            Last edited by IF; 22 December 2012, 00:34.

Comment

I received a call in response to that email saying that "the privacy guy" thinks BG would be fine and that "it would not be in [my] best interests to pursue an issue which clearly has no grounds or merit".

Frustrated, I sent another email!

Sent: 21 December 2012 16:20
              To: jodie.dalton3@britishgas.co.uk
              Subject: FW: Aaron Smith

Jodie,

Further to our last conversation, and with me having come away from that call feeling like I need to defend myself and prove my worthyness as a credit customer, and also to show you the damage that British Gas alone have caused to my credit file, please see the below images.

I stand by my original position that had I have known about British Gas feeling they have the right to report to the CRA without my express permission, I would have moved company immediately. Also, this arrears came about following poor communication after the END of the supply – NOT during – which was a time when my account was kept ALMOST perfect.

The bottom line is I did not know, nor did I provide permission to do so. I was never provided the T&C’s containing the CRA information and was not contacted after I made payments totalling £464.50 to say they were not enough.

I am now extremely upset and distressed at British Gas’/Your stance that you are in the right regardless of my continued proof that you are not. You claim I am taking the terms of the DPA and CRD out of context, even though I have been ASSURED by people at OFGEM and the ICO that my case would have merit in the court of law, and I would stand a strong chance of winning any claim placed against yourselves.

Furthermore, an initial attempt to fob me off turned out to be a lie, when it was stated that as you hold a Credit Consumer Licence, you “have a legal obligation to report”.

I am now in a position where I feel your repeated rebuffs are vexatious, and clearly designed to wear me down so I give up. I stand by the date of 24th January (the original 30 working day deadline given), before I take further proceedings to have these illegally placed markers removed from my name.
              Thoughts?
              Last edited by IF; 22 December 2012, 00:34.

Comment

She backtracked!!!!

Called me up and said "I don't know about the data or contract stuff so will leave that to the relevant team, however, I am looking to try and get you out of this by looking at how the account signup process was handled by your landlord as nobody has the right to sign you up to third party data but you, and if you didnt read or recieve the T&C's, then you cant be bound by them!"

Left it at that, and said we would speak after christmas!

Comment

Re: British Gas

I've moved your posts to your own thread Draco85
                  Last edited by IF; 21 December 2012, 17:56.
                  "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

EXCEPTIONAL NEWS!

BG have confirmed they will be removing the entries on my credit file as soon as possible.

They have escalate the issue to the manager of the "keys team" - who is the person who deals with entries and removals, and they will be gone within the next 72 hours!

Thanks for the initial advice from this forum.

Comment

Brilliant news Draco85
                      "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

The buggers actually have three current, consumer credit licences:
                        1. for gas
                        2. for electricity
                        3. for central heating

These I have appended below.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Not topic related, but still with regards to 'BG' and hitting people with credit rating on their accounts.

tells the story of how an innocuous missed gas bill payment years ago threatened to derail her plans to buy a home

Linky: How forgotten debts can create havoc with your credit score
                          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It would seem its not quite over yet!

Had a call from Menna (another complaints advisor) because Jodie Dalton has been sick/in hospital since end of december.

After confirming they would be removed, I got this email from them:

From: Oaten, Menna [mailto:menna.oaten@britishgas.co.uk]
                            Sent: 15 January 2013 19:38
                            To: Mr Smith
                            Subject: Your British Gas Enquiry - *****

Hello Mr Smith

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me recently.

As agreed I'm currently trying to get any defaults removed from your credit file. The information I've sent to our specialised department has currently been rejected which means I'll carry out more investigations and provide extra information to ensure these defaults get removed.

As explained this will take longer than normal however I understand the time constraint you've given and I'll endeavour to get this matter resolved by then. I'll be in touch once I've an update on this however in the meantime if you want to discuss anything further you have my contact details.

Kind regards

Menna Oaten
                            Customer Relations
                            I replied with a simple corection:

Sent: 16 January 2013 10:10
                            To: 'Oaten, Menna'
                            Subject: RE: Your British Gas Enquiry - ******

Hi Menna,

Thanks for this.

Just to clarify, I am not just looking to have the defaults removed from my file – I am looking to have the 2 entries in their entirety removed. Everything – Good and bad.

Please can you confirm this is what you are getting removed by the 23rd January?

Regards,

Mr Smith
                            I'm starting to worry they are going to backtrack here.....
                            Last edited by Never-In-Doubt; 16 January 2013, 10:23. Reason: removed your forename

Comment

No they can't backtrack - if so then we can look at formalising complaints

Sit tight, you'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X