GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
    I hate cars!

Bought myself a wee runaround as I work from home now and don't need a car all the time. Anyway its a wee Fiat Punto, got her serviced to-day and the garage says all four wheels are illegal because they are a wee bit bigger than normal (they are alloys), I've checked the MOT rules and no where does say this, who is right? by the way they took 120 for the serice is that reasonable?
    MrsD, there is no VOSA restriction on the size of bigger aftermarket wheels fitted as long as they do not extend beyond the outer wheel arches and are free of fouling on the inner wheel wheels arches or any other component such as the suspension/brakes ect.

£120.00 for a service ? well it depends on what work was carried out on the service.

For a general minor service at a non dealership garage which would consist of -
    Engine Oil change
    Oil filter change
    Air filter change
    Spark plugs replaced (if a petrol engine)
    And a visual check and top up of stuff such as antifreeze, screen wash and check brake pads/brake fluid, lights ect.
    Then the average charges in our area by a reputable independent garage who employ skilled mechanics would be around £95.00 +vat and I would say that would be a maximum charged.

On the other hand if extra items such as brake pads have been replaced, then £120.00 would not be considered excessive.

Of course if you had it in a main agents dealership they tend to charge more than the independents due to higher staff wages/ site overheads...and their No1 priority..... bigger profits !!

Comment

I guess it was a minor service, don't know what they changed as they never told us. The shitty woman did say to MR D that the tyres would be an instant MOT failure if we took it back to have it MOTed as they were the wrong size. They are alloys but look fine, no sticking out and strangely enough it had just passed an MOT when we bought it. I think I'm more annoyed at Mr D for not questioning her than anything, I'll phone in the morning and chew a few ears. I hardly use a car now and just want to get from A to B quickly safely and with the minimum harassment, how hard can it be?

Comment

Hi Mrs D, can you get the tyre size for me to look at. The size is on the side wall of the tyre. It should read something like
        185/60 14. As Alland says providing it doesn't extend beyond the wheel arch or snag the bodywork or suspension then there is no problem. Boy Racers or 4x4 off roaders who fit a wheel rim larger or smaller than that originally fitted run the risk of throwing out the speedo reading. As Speedometers are not tested as part of the MOT (they should be working)then if the readings out it's up to you if you exceed the 10% error allowed at the moment.

I have to admit it sounds like total BS, but if you get me the size I will try to get a word with one of the local tyre fitters. (I get them lots of work off Lady Hooray )

BTW £120 seems reasonable for a small service providing they have done Air, Oil (Fuel) and Plugs. It's the 20% Vat that bumps it up.

Regards, Handy
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

thank you Handy and Allan, I'll have a look in the morning. I've been driving it for about a month and the MOT is end Jan, and the alloys are certainly not spanking new.

Mr D is upstairs in the huff now.........................men!!!

Comment

Wheels/tyres altering the speedo is quite correct. On my evil piece of french shite, I have alloys - 14", but I think originally, it had 13" steels (my opinion is steels are better anyway).

I know my speedo is out by about 7 or 8%. When I do 70 in the car (speedo) sat nav says I am doing 65/66. Same for other speeds also.

But why the hell get a FIAT??!! They almost as bad as Renault/Peugeot/Citoen. You know fiat stands for Fix It Again, Tony
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

it was cheap!

Comment

it was cheap!
                MrsD, regardless of being cheap, if it is a new generation Fiat eg. 2003 onwards it should give you good trouble free motoring.

Our road car side of the business is known locally for the service and repair of all Italian car variants, and for the most, we see very few issues with the newer Fiat range.

Unlike French crap (old or new) which we decline to get involved with...... despite the fact we could earn a very good living from the amount of work they require to keep them on the road...

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                  Does anyone here have an expierence with using bio deisel in a BMW 320D 06 plate? Read conflicting views all over the net.

Some say its fine providing the filters are changed every 10k miles, others say something about needed to upgrade the fuel pipes due to corrosion?
                  Bio-diesel or lipo-diesel? (link)
                  Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 11 March 2012, 21:00.

Comment

Bought myself a wee runaround ... its a wee Fiat Punto
                    Does it really run on wee?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      ROFL never seen that article before, hey ill take whatever is cheapest!!

Seriously though, really interested to know whether bio diesel would work. I understand you have to find a good source and its wise to ask for test sample to prove its quality before you buy, but i have no idea on the impact it would cause to parts, or whether some need upgrading.
                      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Seriously though, really interested to know whether bio diesel would work. I understand you have to find a good source and its wise to ask for test sample to prove its quality before you buy, but i have no idea on the impact it would cause to parts, or whether some need upgrading.
                        I have a mate that runs his van on old chip oil . All he does is collect it from the local takeaway's and filter it. The only problem he has dad is reduced fuel pump life as the cooking oil doesn't lubricate the metal pump parts as well as normal diesel. In winter he mixes it 50/50 with normal fuel.

You wouldn't want to drive at the back of him, it's not the smoke but the smell of Fish and Chips that's the problem

Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          I have a mate that runs his van on old chip oil . All he does is collect it from the local takeaway's and filter it. The only problem he has dad is reduced fuel pump life as the cooking oil doesn't lubricate the metal pump parts as well as normal diesel. In winter he mixes it 50/50 with normal fuel.

You wouldn't want to drive at the back of him, it's not the smoke but the smell of Fish and Chips that's the problem

LOL that would make me hungry everytime i drove behind!

i think a 50/50 mix sounds good, im currently using some deisel i bought about 15 years ago stored in a drum in the garage, bought it during the last fuel crisis, gotta be saving me a fortune what with todays prices, but i def wanna save some more!

Comment

I believe he was living off the fat of the land.

Comment

i think a 50/50 mix sounds good, im currently using some deisel i bought about 15 years ago stored in a drum in the garage, bought it during the last fuel crisis, gotta be saving me a fortune what with todays prices, but i def wanna save some more!
                              Have you never thought of using chromatography to remove the dye from red diesel?

Comment

Have you never thought of using chromatography to remove the dye from red diesel?
                                Didnt even know you could!

Def gonna be googling that!

Comment

Working...
                                X