GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Update on the immobiliser problem. My oh googled it and after trying several different "solutions" he hound that by resetting the key code ie turning the key to position 1 for 5 minutes it would click ans work. It did, however we need to do this nearly every time we use the car!
    Should we get a new key for £70 of is the problem with the immobiliser, as we don't want to waste the money!
    Thank you
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
      Update on the immobiliser problem. My oh googled it and after trying several different "solutions" he hound that by resetting the key code ie turning the key to position 1 for 5 minutes it would click ans work. It did, however we need to do this nearly every time we use the car!
      Should we get a new key for £70 of is the problem with the immobiliser, as we don't want to waste the money!
      Thank you
      Strange one this, It would appear the transponder unit (immobiliser) is recognising the code in the key, but why it only works after 5 minutes is confusing. I think you need to get the car diagnosed on a ecu scanner before spending any money on a new coded key.

Comment

Hi I'm back again.......
        The latest problem isthatthe car has failed it's MOT due to a broken offside rear coil spring. The garage has said that they need to be replaced in pairs? Is that true?

Thanks
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Have heard it before, but not sure if its true.

I have replaced a front spring on one side. My uncle has done the same for the rear.

out of curiosity, have they given you a price for the repair (either single or both)

Comment

£45 per spring £180 in total ie both springs.

Comment

Hi I'm back again.......
              The latest problem isthatthe car has failed it's MOT due to a broken offside rear coil spring. The garage has said that they need to be replaced in pairs? Is that true?

Thanks
              I would always advise a customer to replace both springs on the same axle. eg. two front or two rear.

The springs fitted when new have an identical poundage rating per spring for a particular vehicle, over a period of time due to the load weight of the vehicle they sag and lose some of the poundage rate as the spring coils become aged, therefore a new spring does have a different lb rate than the older one still on the car.

Changing one spring will affect the balance of the car and could also cause uneven tyre wear.

Comment

Does anyone here have an expierence with using bio deisel in a BMW 320D 06 plate? Read conflicting views all over the net.

Some say its fine providing the filters are changed every 10k miles, others say something about needed to upgrade the fuel pipes due to corrosion?

I aint an expert so i have no idea!

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                  The springs fitted when new have an identical poundage rating per spring for a particular vehicle, over a period of time due to the load weight of the vehicle they sag and lose some of the poundage rate as the spring coils become aged, therefore a new spring does have a different lb rate than the older one still on the car.
                  Makes sense I suppose!

Though a couple of my friends are .... fairly hefty. I expect that would counter act my repairs!

Comment

Hi I'm back again.......

Thanks
                    I had the same thing at MOT time. The KwikFit garage said I only needed one spring replaced to pass the MOT but he recommended doing both (twice the price!) to save me having to return another day. I have no problem in making another visit when the job is needed so I only had one done. That was over a year ago and no lopsided feelings yet

Comment

Looks like all the family are going to have to travel on the near side!

Comment

Looks like all the family are going to have to travel on the near side!
                        Or up your intake of Green & Blacks to balance the weight
                        Last edited by PlanB; 1 March 2012, 21:43.

Comment

I hate cars!

Bought myself a wee runaround as I work from home now and don't need a car all the time. Anyway its a wee Fiat Punto, got her serviced to-day and the garage says all four wheels are illegal because they are a wee bit bigger than normal (they are alloys), I've checked the MOT rules and no where does say this, who is right? by the way they took 120 for the serice is that reasonable?

Comment

Originally posted by evenlessdopey View Post
                            I hate cars!

Bought myself a wee runaround as I work from home now and don't need a car all the time. Anyway its a wee Fiat Punto, got her serviced to-day and the garage says all four wheels are illegal because they are a wee bit bigger than normal (they are alloys), I've checked the MOT rules and no where does say this, who is right? by the way they took 120 for the serice is that reasonable?

Sorry Mrs D no nothing about cars but sounds a bit steep £ 120

Comment

Surely if they are too big, the speedo would read incorrectly, as the radius would be bigger? That might be where legality comes in?

How about safety also; would a wheel that is too big be able to be fitted correctly (bolt threads etc?)

Dunno, just a couple of thoughts.....
                              If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

£120 service doesn't sound too bad, especially if you account for air filter, oil filter, oil change, sundries (windscreen wash/brake fluid etc...) plus the labour and visual checks that they do - was it a full service or interim?
                                If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X