GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    It's for pre MOT work so I assume its drivable at the moment. So no problem.
    If the car has defects that you know of and you drive it then you are actually committing an offence under one of the road traffic acts.

Hence if you get stopped by plod because your rear tailight has blown then you say
    "has it officer ? thanks for bringing it to my attention, it was working when I left on my journey as I checked it prior to setting off, I will get it rectified asap"
    and not
    "oh yeah, it's people have been telling me about that for a few days"

Comment

I got pulled once for going the wrong way down a one way street as I was rushing to get to work.

The Policeman said didn't you see the arrows. I replied yes but I was tying to get away from the Indians.

He then said the reason he had stopped me was because I had a tail light out. I went to the back of the car and kicked the bumper and the light came on.

He said very good sir, now if you kick the front bumper will your tax disk pop up as well.

When he asked my name and where I worked I told him my name was Shagbreak and that I worked for Lord Hooray.

When he telephoned his Lordship to confirm I worked for him the Policeman asked do you have a Shagbreak at your place.

His Lordship replied don't be stupid man, I don't even give the staff chance for a bloody tea break.

Regards all, Handy
      Last edited by Handyman; 22 July 2012, 22:15. Reason: typ's
      Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
      Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Boom Boom Handy!

Bricktop, I would be interested to know how you managed to check the brake lights yourself! - long neck?

I know its ok to have a brake light out IF you also have a brakeing strip (like in the roof edge)

I wasnt aware of the lights thing ..... I know plenty that have an ECU light because of a sticky EGR? valve? 8V Astras are notorius for it. I also know some renaults where the airbag light can come on if you disconnect the battery.

I have a simpler answer than Handy taking the bulb out. Black paint or PVC tape.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
          I know its ok to have a brake light out IF you also have a brakeing strip (like in the roof edge)
          Not sure about that, MOT requirements are that both the 'normal' brake lights should be operational, however if the high level light is not working then at this point in time it is just an advisory item not an MOT failure.

Comment

Good to see you're back on form Handy.
            Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Bricktop, I would be interested to know how you managed to check the brake lights yourself! - long neck?
              It's easier than that.

Just reverse up to a fairly reflective wall and look at the pattern of the brake lights via your rear view mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                It's easier than that.

Just reverse up to a fairly reflective wall and look at the pattern of the brake lights via your rear view mirror.
                Any chance we cahnge change your name to "SmartArse" ?
                Last edited by oscar; 24 July 2012, 18:25.

Comment

Drag this up.

Anyonw know where the CAM shaft sensor is on a 1.2 Clio?? Know the crank is just above the gearbox - cant find the other one.

Comment

Drag this up.

Anyonw know where the CAM shaft sensor is on a 1.2 Clio?? Know the crank is just above the gearbox - cant find the other one.
                    Do you know what the engine code is mate?
                    When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Other than its a D7F engine, no. I now have the Haynes manual which doesnt have any info, and the local parts place doesnt list them (but said the might be dealer only)

Comment

Other than its a D7F engine, no. I now have the Haynes manual which doesnt have any info, and the local parts place doesnt list them (but said the might be dealer only)
                        Ok from memory, thats what we used to call the Diet engine (grey plastic cover on the rocker cover and upside down inlet manifold). I left Renault in 2002 although from memory not sure if that engine had a camshaft sensor on it. Have you had the fault codes read and been told its faulty then?
                        When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

Comment

Not had the codes read. It suddenly cut out and wouldnt re-start. Went back after an hour and tried and was purring like a kitten. Friend (mechanic) told me it was the probable cause.

Comment

Not had the codes read. It suddenly cut out and wouldnt re-start. Went back after an hour and tried and was purring like a kitten. Friend (mechanic) told me it was the probable cause.
                            I'd get it checked out mate as this could be down to a number of things and it would be silly to buy a part on the hope that's what is causing the problem. If you want probability it may be the crankshaft sensor. From memory, a lot of the Renault stuff of that era will run with the camshaft sensor disconnected although it can't run without the crankshaft sensor.

Hope you get it sorted anyway mate.

Cheers
                            SA

Comment

Another Q!

Is it possible to reprogramme a key easy.??

I HAVE the original key, I HAVE the original chip, but the circuit board is knackered (quite obviously) so the remote itself doesnt work. Can I buy another circuit board and simply swap them over or does it still require a full reprogramme ? - If so, at £150 the letters F and O come to mind and I will continue to lock it manually

Comment

I have found a brilliant site that charge about £20 to reprogram a key. I had 2 Laguna keys, 1 worked intermittently, 1 rarely! I spent the keys separately and both work perfectly now.
                                www.keyfobrepair.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X