GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

OH's car needs an MOT on 26 August; he wants to get it to the garage thatwe use 250 mile from home to do some work before taking it to the MOT station on 28 August. Can he legally do this?
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
      OH's car needs an MOT on 26 August; he wants to get it to the garage thatwe use 250 mile from home to do some work before taking it to the MOT station on 28 August. Can he legally do this?
      Is the car taxed and insured? If not I am fairly sure not.

Only time you can take car on the road without the above is if taking it MOT station or home from there (and thats probably changed a bit since I last knew)
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yes taxed and insured. It needs some work before the MOT. The mechanic will take it for its MOT and then do the work before retesting.

Comment

Found this link, cym. Doesn't specifically state how far the MOT testing station has to be? So long as the MOT is booked in...

I take my car to a garage around the corner, and they take it to another for the MOT to be done. So provided you have booked an MOT with the garage to whom you are delivering it, I can't see you are breaking any rules?

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk....aspx?sid=3038
          If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

That's what I was hoping, but wondered if any one knew otherwise.

Comment

Yes taxed and insured. It needs some work before the MOT. The mechanic will take it for its MOT and then do the work before retesting.
              As far as I am aware then, that is fine, you are taking it for an MOT or to a place of repair.

Comment

You need Alland or Bricktop for to answer this one.
                So you say its Taxed and Insured, no problems there. It's for pre MOT work so I assume its drivable at the moment. So no problem.
                Step son in Brighton always take his car to his mate in South Yorkshire for it's MOT.

Not that his mate is anything less than thorough, just that if he needs work doing the Labour and parts are a lot less than down Sarf.

Besides he makes a few days of it to visit friends and family.

Doesn't matter where you live in relation to the Test Centre. Only problems I know off is if the car is uninsured, or
                un-roadworthy.

Regards, Handy
                Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Thanks Handy. Car has a warning light which under the new rules is a failure. We had a similar problem with our last car and a local mechanic quoted a fortune, whereas this mechanic 'is an old fashioned mechanic' and repaired the car for a few pounds!

Comment

Well that's something I didn't know. I have an intermittent enine management light on my car. Means and does sod all. It's a £10.00 sensor which at some point I will replace. If in doubt and I know it means taking the instrument dials apart, I would remove the bulb. No light No problem

But no if that's all, you can take your car where ever you like.

Regards, Handy
                    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

You can take an untaxed and expired MOT car to and from an MOT testing station for an MOT test or MOT repairs, the vehicle must be booked in, there is no specific rule regarding distance to the MOT centre, however you should take the most direct route to and from the MOT centre. In other words don't book it in then go shopping in it.

If the vehicle passes and it is un-taxed then you should go straight home and not use the vehicle until it has valid roadfund licence.

Even having a valid MOT certificate does not guarantee you are not breaking some or other law in relation to having an unroadworthy vehicle.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I have an intermittent enine management light on my car. Means and does sod all.
                      Get that sorted, you will probably fail an MOT test if it's illuminated because of incorrect emmissions, added to the fact you might be using more fuel than necessary
                      Last edited by Bricktop; 23 July 2012, 08:01.

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                        Found this link, cym. Doesn't specifically state how far the MOT testing station has to be? So long as the MOT is booked in...

I take my car to a garage around the corner, and they take it to another for the MOT to be done. So provided you have booked an MOT with the garage to whom you are delivering it, I can't see you are breaking any rules?

http://www.avonandsomerset.police.uk....aspx?sid=3038
                        Strictly speaking, the concession that allows you to drive a vehicle without MOT is as long as it is pre-booked at the MOT station is just that. However driving it to a third party garage who then take it to the MOT station on your behalf is not part of the VOSA concession. But saying that, it would have to be be a right bas*ard of a cop who would book you for such a minor infringement, but it would be a good idea to have the name of the MOT place where it is booked in just in case..

I think a problem would only arise as a "get out of paying" clause by an insurance company if you was unfortunte enough to be involved in an accident on the way to the third party garage.

Comment

As it's the mechanic driving the car between his garage and the testing station (presumably not far), would he be able to use trade plates?
                          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

alland.

The thing is, they advertise that they do MOT's, and I book it with them. I only know they take it elsewhere due to the stamp on the MOT certificate giving the name of a garage 5 miles away.

My garage is so close I could spit further! In fact, I don't even have to drive it, if I pop round with the keys they come and collect it from my drive

So if I hadn't booked an MOT with them before, I would have no way of knowing that it isn't actually them that were doing the MOT (only any repairs necessary) and I'd argue the toss with any enforcer who cared to argue
                            If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by diddlydee View Post
                              I'd argue the toss with any enforcer who cared to argue
                              And I know who'd be the winner!
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                                As it's the mechanic driving the car between his garage and the testing station (presumably not far), would he be able to use trade plates?
                                Yes because he would have the vehicle booked in for the mot, so he assumes responsibility for the car being moved between his workshop and the mot station.
                                Today even trade plates have limited use that has to be complied with.or they are taken off you.

Comment

Working...
                                X