GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    If it's a leaking sump in most cars, (not my Szitibushi) you can drop the sump and re-seal without too many problems with RTV silicon. If it's coming from the bellhousing then it's normally the clutch side Crankshaft oil seal and that's a major strip down for an item that is relativly relatively cheap and only takes a few minutes to fit. But unfortunately the Gearbox and Clutch has to come out. That's why I mentioned the oil additive as a stopgap measure.

Sorry for going on.

Regards, Handy
    Definately not the sump - too far to the nearside. From where its leaking (few drops when I pushed car back) its pretty much in a direct line with the engine gearbox seal. I had an idea that was a big job, because as you say, you need to split the box to get at it. It might only take a few minutes to fit, but its a couple of hours to strip and then the same to rebuild (If I am right, I think you need to pop the drive shaft as well from the gearbox side)

Think it may be coming to the end anyway. It also has a noisy bearing/cog on the power steering belt.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Does your pug have an automatic belt tensioner? most cars do these days. I have known no end of these fail causing a noise like the alternator / Steering pump is failing? Although it can make the belt slip a spray of good old WD40 applied with the straw around each of the pulleys can often point out the offending part. Keep your fingers out of the way of the belts though (ouch, don't try this at home). The noise reduction can be very noticeable.

I'm looking forward to Alland coming back, I know what I know but he's the real professional

Regards, Handy
      Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
      Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Does your pug have an automatic belt tensioner? most cars do these days. I have known no end of these fail causing a noise like the alternator / Steering pump is failing? Although it can make the belt slip a spray of good old WD40 applied with the straw around each of the pulleys can often point out the offending part. Keep your fingers out of the way of the belts though (ouch, don't try this at home). The noise reduction can be very noticeable.

I'm looking forward to Alland coming back, I know what I know but he's the real professional

Regards, Handy
        It does have a tensioner (not sure where) as it was slackened not so long ago as it was found to be far too tight. But it was noticed then that the bearing / pulley was noisy (engine running with no belt). WHEN i win the lotto on saturday, I will get rid of it.

Just dont know what to buy next! Has to be economical though (and cheap to buy)
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

If you have won the lotto it won't need to be cheap and economical

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
            If you have won the lotto it won't need to be cheap and economical
            It will when he's squandered all his winnings.
            Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 26 April 2012, 17:06.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              Definately not the sump - too far to the nearside. From where its leaking (few drops when I pushed car back) its pretty much in a direct line with the engine gearbox seal. I had an idea that was a big job, because as you say, you need to split the box to get at it. It might only take a few minutes to fit, but its a couple of hours to strip and then the same to rebuild (If I am right, I think you need to pop the drive shaft as well from the gearbox side)
              Does that mean you do have a leaking bell end?

Think it may be coming to the end anyway. It also has a noisy bearing/cog on the power steering belt.
              Won't its safety depend on the steering nut?

Comment

On the matter of belt slippage, I seem to recall using a spray of rosin or something similar to improve the grip of the flat belt drive on my Warwick lathe (link) before I got my Myford.

Comment

Jamie hired a newish KA for 3 days, £75, that was with a full tank of fuel, before he hands it in, he has to fill it to the brim.

It all adds up!

Car to be done tomorrow, let's hope that fixes it lol.

Comment

A bit of a late start, but pump is out, and now getting on with the work!

Shall let you know how it all goes.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                      A bit of a late start, but pump is out, and now getting on with the work!

Shall let you know how it all goes.
                      Just make sure care is taken when refitting and setting up the cam belt...you don't want the valves hitting the pistons.....or it will be

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                        Just make sure care is taken when refitting and setting up the cam belt...you don't want the valves hitting the pistons.....or it will be

Good luck
                        Thank you alland oh yes and we don't want that to happen or I will be lol.
                        Cheers for that. x

Comment

YAY, all done!

However, my bro in law did make some suggestions to him, with his MOT coming up next month is to change the bushes and/or track arms, knocking here and there on driving.

Thank you all for your amazing help, you've all been wonderful Xxxx

Comment

Hurray. A job well done, and lots of money saved. Plus lots of amazing help given.

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                              Hurray. A job well done, and lots of money saved. Plus lots of amazing help given.

Cheers hon

And yes lots of money saved, especially as inlaw done the labour, helped by hubby. And fantastic advice from these amazing lot on here too. Very grateful.
                              That's the thing with youngsters these days, they want to drive but never maintain.
                              Oil filter was changed as well, brand new oil, because the filter had collapsed "oops" lol.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                                That's the thing with youngsters these days, they want to drive but never maintain.
                                Maintaining cars is difficult. I might well know whats wrong, but actually being able to fix it is another matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X