GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by garlok View Post
    the plugs themselves were each in a deep recess. The standard service tool ( as specified in the workshop manual not the Haynes one either) was 100mm length of garden hose to grip the ceramic of the plug to restart the threads without crossing. And the darned things were on the back face of the engine to boot.

regards
    Garlok
    All ready had that one bit of fun G - mine is the same. I got mine (or three of them) out arounf June and they looked fine. no 4 was under the injector unit and too difficult to get at. I actually used a deep socket and extension bar.

After a Renault and a 306, think I am going to leave french crap alone!!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I have been told, on the forum at that allan gave a link to that the problem could well be a temperature sensor at the front of the engine - its apparently green in colour.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
        After a Renault and a 306, think I am going to leave french crap alone!!
        .... or get a diesel!

I have been told the problem could well be a temperature sensor at the front of the engine - its apparently green in colour.
        Never seen a car with a green engine!

Comment

I have been told, on the forum at that allan gave a link to that the problem could well be a temperature sensor at the front of the engine - its apparently green in colour.
          Sensor replaced and all seems good. Sensor cost £17 so a cheap job at the end of the day.

Just got to sort the exhaust rattle and the whine now - just not sure where the whine is coming from!

Comment

Just got to sort the exhaust rattle and the whine now - just not sure where the whine is coming from!
            The whine on my car comes from the missus

The noisy'er the engine the less I hear the whine

Regards, Handy
            Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
            Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

just not sure where the whine is coming from!
              A vineyard?

Comment

Hi are there any wonderful mechanics who can help with a Clio. It's a 2004, 1.4l and immobile
                I think it is a problem with the immobiliser and it is intermittent.....
                Sometimes when you you turn it on it is silent, sometimes it turns over but doesn't fire AND sometimes it starts! We got a mechanic to visit, he plugged in a hand held diagnostic machine and said 'it isn't showing a fault so you will have to take it to a Renault dealer'. He did not open the bonnet or do anything remotely like a mechanic should.
                However, while the machine was plugged into the cigarette holder the car started, so now when the battery isn't flat, if there is something plugged in it may work.
                I have googled this , found out that it is very common and that there appear to be a 101 fixes. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful

Comment

Originally posted by cymruambyth View Post
                  Hi are there any wonderful mechanics who can help with a Clio. It's a 2004, 1.4l and immobile
                  I think it is a problem with the immobiliser and it is intermittent.....
                  Sometimes when you you turn it on it is silent, sometimes it turns over but doesn't fire AND sometimes it starts! We got a mechanic to visit, he plugged in a hand held diagnostic machine and said 'it isn't showing a fault so you will have to take it to a Renault dealer'. He did not open the bonnet or do anything remotely like a mechanic should.
                  However, while the machine was plugged into the cigarette holder the car started, so now when the battery isn't flat, if there is something plugged in it may work.
                  I have googled this , found out that it is very common and that there appear to be a 101 fixes. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful
                  Firstly it is not unusual for a mechanic to not open the bonnet and shake a few things about to see if it starts, these days of OBD (On Board Diagnostics) to show possible faults by plugging in a diagnostic fault reader is the first thing to try. Unfortunately not all faults are picked up with the readers....then it is time to bang a few things to see if it works !

Serously though, Clios like most French crap cars, suffer from electrical issues.
                  I very much doubt if it an immobiliser fault, as the car will not normally engage the starter motor when immobilised, although there is a transponder on the steering column which communicates between the ignition key micro chip and the car immobiliser, these have been known to fail and it may still allow the car to turn over but not fire because the ECU which starts the fuel pump cycle does not recognise the key chip.

But I would be more inclinded to think it is earthing fault to the fuel pump, the pump needs to run for 4 seconds to build line pressure before it will fire the engine, if the pump does not run the car will not start.

Or check that the plug is secure on the distributorless coil, this is what sends the spark to the plug leads, you should find it on top of the left side of the engine.

Failing obvious visual checks to see all sensors are plugged in and pipes are in place, I would suggest biting the bullet and tow it in to a Renault main dealer, their diagnostic equipment accesses much more stuff than your average mechanics after market OBD readers. It could save you money in the long run rather than going from one garage to another and getting nowhere.

Good Luck.

Comment

Agree with Allan here, Cymru. We have a Renault Master Van and don't ask. Serious advice to anyone thinking of buying anything Renault----- DON'T.

If they go wrong they can never be put right is my experience. We have to use Easy Start spray when the engine is WARM! Guess what? The diagnostics show no faults. Guess what? to change the engine loom and ECU you nedd gas cuttting equipment!!

French-----

regards
                    Garlok

Comment

Alors, les voitures sont merde!

Comment

i'm saying nothing...2yr old citreon 1.6HDI c4 been garaged more than on the road

thankfully motability foot the cost but its so unfair the car's useless!! only another 12mnths to go thank god then we're rid of the shed

Comment

Got in my £300 Citroen Xsara 1.9D for the first time in 3 months yesterday, let the glow plugswarm up and started immediately. Had it for 2 years and never had a problem with! I guess I've either been lucky, or someone swapped the badges!

Comment

Pug engines in them though I believe? the engine's never been an issue on ours it's been electrical bits braking bits (the watchdoge one..scared the bejesus out of me one day the OH planted her feet firm in the footwell & the brakes applied themselves!) and various sensors seem to blow on a daily basis

wipers packed up the other day as well had to take half the car apart to replace a motor...radio head unit packed up last year as well waiting for a replacement as we speak..apparantly we used it too much?
                            Last edited by philnicandamy; 10 January 2012, 19:05.

Comment

Pug, Cit, Ren - all the same shit with a different badge. I had a clio (think I would have learnt with that and not got a pug) but that didnt give me any problems really apart from niggles - certainly not starting problems.

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                                Firstly it is not unusual for a mechanic to not open the bonnet and shake a few things about to see if it starts, these days of OBD (On Board Diagnostics) to show possible faults by plugging in a diagnostic fault reader is the first thing to try. Unfortunately not all faults are picked up with the readers....then it is time to bang a few things to see if it works !

Serously though, Clios like most French crap cars, suffer from electrical issues.
                                I very much doubt if it an immobiliser fault, as the car will not normally engage the starter motor when immobilised, although there is a transponder on the steering column which communicates between the ignition key micro chip and the car immobiliser, these have been known to fail and it may still allow the car to turn over but not fire because the ECU which starts the fuel pump cycle does not recognise the key chip.

But I would be more inclinded to think it is earthing fault to the fuel pump, the pump needs to run for 4 seconds to build line pressure before it will fire the engine, if the pump does not run the car will not start.

Or check that the plug is secure on the distributorless coil, this is what sends the spark to the plug leads, you should find it on top of the left side of the engine.

Failing obvious visual checks to see all sensors are plugged in and pipes are in place, I would suggest biting the bullet and tow it in to a Renault main dealer, their diagnostic equipment accesses much more stuff than your average mechanics after market OBD readers. It could save you money in the long run rather than going from one garage to another and getting nowhere.

Good Luck.
                                Thanks for all the inspirational replies!
                                The comment about the steering column may be right because when the problem first started we cleared al the things such as mileage to make the car start.
                                A friend called the AA out to deal wit this problem, they said it was common, cleaned something at the front of the engine and the car has worked ever since. She can't remember which part it was!

Comment

Working...
                                X