GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by oscar View Post
    Garage?? Could manage one of those pop up sideless gazebo things .... pole dancers here arnt up to much (actually, the women arnt up to much!)
    Garage I can do without....but rough women down your parts ?

....what can say other than......good luck getting your car fixed oscar...

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
      Dream on Oscar, the days of getting my mits dirty messing with cars are long gone, these days I am more your "leaning over your shoulder,telling you how it should be done" type of mechanic
      I have often heard it said, them that can do and those that can't teach

I know how you feel Allan, my days of rolling around on the ground under a motor are now dictated by whether I can afford to let someone else do it for me, or if I don't have any choice in the matter.

Now If I could only get the boss to take on an apprentice Handyman

Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
      Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Afternoon!

After an answer! Obviously with my little Pug about to go to scrap yard heaven, am looking about.

Does anyone happen to know if a Daihatsu Chararde GLXi SE has a timing belt or chain (97 plate) as thats usually the first thing to change if buying a car.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Afternoon!

After an answer! Obviously with my little Pug about to go to scrap yard heaven, am looking about.

Does anyone happen to know if a Daihatsu Chararde GLXi SE has a timing belt or chain (97 plate) as thats usually the first thing to change if buying a car.
          Earlier year Chararde models had a cam belt, so I doubt if they would have gone back to a timing chain on later versions, normal belt change on the late 80s early 90s models had a belt change requirement at 60k or five years which ever came first.

Comment

Taken a gamble on a car - Fiat Punto SX60. It wont start. Was fine until a few days ago, fanbelt snapped and it cut out. Replaced and now wont start.

Cambelt looks fine, and turns with the key. Turns over fine, just wont fire. Petrol is coming through the filter so pump ok, but doesnt appear to be smell from exhaust ....

I dont think it is anything major, and can get my money back cos of previous work done and the MOT and tax.

Any ideas? (know its a long shot with not seeing car!!)
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Oscar have you got a spark ?
              if not then check that when you replaced the fanbelt you have not disturbed any sensors

Comment

Not here yet Allan so not checked. Unsure how to check spark with it being a coil pack - the old leads were easy enough - just take one out and hold it up in the dark.

My initial thoughts where that the fan belt had hit something when it pinged. (As thats when it stopped - when the fanbelt snapped)
                Last edited by oscar; 7 July 2012, 12:39.

Comment

Right then I would also agree, maybe the belt breaking hit the crank sensor plug or wiring ?

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                    Right then I would also agree, maybe the belt breaking hit the crank sensor plug or wiring ?
                    Not looked yet (car not here yet either!) but assuming that it is the crank sensor.

Obviously if its snapped the sensor, thats easy enough - get another.

But, if its snapped the wiring, would this be easy enough to splice togehter?

Comment

Not looked yet (car not here yet either!) but assuming that it is the crank sensor.

Obviously if its snapped the sensor, thats easy enough - get another.

But, if its snapped the wiring, would this be easy enough to splice togehter?
                      Wiring is just that bunch of wires. Be fiddly but not impossible to splice around any areas of it being cut through
                      I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

• Re: CLUTCH

I'm really really shocked and pleased at the same time, my dad has had the car fixed , he told hubby to take it to see how much it would cost and he has paid for it to be fixed . This is so lovely of them, he made a joke saying that it is coming out of my inheritance , joking aside he leaving his house to me and my two brothers , but hope that won't be for a good few years yet

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                          Wiring is just that bunch of wires. Be fiddly but not impossible to splice around any areas of it being cut through
                          If it turns out to br the crank sensor, just replace it, splicing the wires is not recommended , doing that can change the voltage pulse from the sensor to the ECU

Comment

CAr is here, had a quik look this morning. Cran sensor, the outer casing of the lead is split / broken and quite a bit of movment in the wire so wouldnt take much to break.

Am going to manually turn crank, make sure belt has jumped a tooth - which I know can happen if the fan belt hits it. Then will replace the sensor.

Been told that it is sparking - that has already been tested so obviously just a niggle.

Comment

Had someone else look - agreed timing is out (assume belt juped as found part of the fan belt near one of the pulleys)

Anyway - am struggling to find the timing marks to reset it all (belt is blank) - can see the notch in the top pulley, but other than that, cant see owt else.

Tried net - but there is that much shite on there, its like needle and haystack

Comment

All sorted. Timing belt had jumped

Comment

Working...
                                X