GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
    Replace the servo.
    Theres nothing wrong with the servo, only the master cylinder.

If brake fluid were to evaporate readily, it wouldn't be much use in hydraulic systems.
    But that is in a closed system. Fairly sure the servo / housing itself is not air locked, so I am assuming the fluid lost / sprayed into there would evaporate with the heat from the engine.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      I had a similar problem on a car once - turned out to be the slave cylinder on the clutch, this located within the clutch bell-housing, & virtually impossible to see. The clutch & break fluid top-up tank was a 'common' unit, so a leak on the clutch could affect the brakes.
      Quite a few vehilces have this ridiculous system. It is potentially a killer, as a problem with your cltch could lead to a loss of brakes which could easil lead to your death. Ridiculous! I've got the same system on my motorhome.

I assume there's no damp behind the brake pedal?

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
        Theres nothing wrong with the servo, only the master cylinder.
        OK, do as you please.

You asked for an easy way to ensure that the servo was free from brake fluid without taking it to bits but, when I suggested an alternative, you rejected it out of hand.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
          OK, do as you please.

You asked for an easy way to ensure that the servo was free from brake fluid without taking it to bits but, when I suggested an alternative, you rejected it out of hand.

Have fun.
          It wasnt a rejection, but I am not a master mechanic, neither do I have a lot of money. Personally, I do not see the point in replacing a part that is fully functional.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

It wasnt a rejection, but I am not a master mechanic, neither do I have a lot of money. Personally, I do not see the point in replacing a part that is fully functional.
            I expect you could exchange it, or buy a pre-used one from a breaker.

Comment

Going to hope Allan sees this before tomorrow afternoon.

Pretty sure its the master now.... 99% in fact. Whats the easiest way (if any) of removing excess fluid from the servo? (without taking it apart)

Can this be left to evaporate off at all?
              PM mate lol. I've asked him to come look
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Going to hope Allan sees this before tomorrow afternoon.

Pretty sure its the master now.... 99% in fact. Whats the easiest way (if any) of removing excess fluid from the servo? (without taking it apart)

Can this be left to evaporate off at all?
                Sorry caspar, only just spotted your post, always better to drop me a PM to direct me to a post, as I don't always notice them.

Ok as you say it is probably the master cylinder seals which will allow fluid to drain off into the servo via the diaphragm, there is no easy way of draining it off as the servo housing is a pressurised vacuum sealed unit (DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN IT) some of the excess fluid in the servo will be sucked out by the air vacuum pipe that goes to the inlet manifold that works the servo assembly, it will then be burnt out with exhaust gases, so if some fluid remains in the servo housing as long as you are satisfied the brake line pressure is OK once you have replaced the master cylinder you should be good to go, if you struggle to get a firm brake pedal, you may have to replace the servo unit.

Good Luck.
                Allan

Comment

Ok allan, after more advice!

Have bleed the brakes, in the order NSR, OSR, NSF, OSF. I still do not have a brake. If I pump the brake (with engine running) I can get one load of brake pressure. Have double checked the nipples and there is no seepage so these are tight.

This might sound like a stupid question, but do you need the engine runnng when bleeding (for the ABS unit) as opposed to the ignition just being fully on.

Dont know if this makes a difference, and unsure if I have mentioned this previously or not, but I can hear air (like when you squeeze your palms together) - this appears to be coming from the rubber on the inner bulkhead behind the brake pedal.

If the servo does need replacing (which I cant see as I can get pressure with no ignition) are they difficult to replace?

..... Alternatively, if your up this neck of the woods next week
                  Last edited by oscar; 27 July 2011, 21:38.

Comment

Oscar, on most ABS systems you need to have the engine running in order to open the ABS valves to allow successful bleeding of the system.

The worrying bit is the sound of air pressure near the bulkhead, this could simply be air still in the system, because you are not purging the ABS unit enough. Or it could be the servo/ master cylinder unit failed. (not hard to replace, but you do need to identify the problem before spending money on something that possibly isn't broken !)

Remember, It can take quite a a bit of repeat bleeding to completely clear the system.

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
                      Oscar, on most ABS systems you need to have the engine running in order to open the ABS valves to allow successful bleeding of the system.

The worrying bit is the sound of air pressure near the bulkhead, this could simply be air still in the system, because you are not purging the ABS unit enough. Or it could be the servo/ master cylinder unit failed. (not hard to replace, but you do need to identify the problem before spending money on something that possibly isn't broken !)

Remember, It can take quite a a bit of repeat bleeding to completely clear the system.
                      Cheers Allan, was aware about repeat bleeding in some cases.

The air noise I think is coming form the rubber behind the brake pedal - like a conical rubber - like a CV boot i suppose by the feel of it (dont know how else to describe it. - thats where it sounds like - was starting to get dark when I looked!!

I suppose pressure is the wrong word as well - its like, an "armpit fart" - you know, put your hand under your armpit and flap like a chicken!

If I need the engine running, thats going to make the NSR fun to bleed!! - right next to the exhaust pipe ..... wonder if anywhere does a gas masks?!

Looks like I have a busy Saturday coming up! Suppose I should also say I have replaced the Master Cylinder (unit from breakers but all seals ok)
                      Last edited by oscar; 27 July 2011, 22:18.

Comment

Oldish Vauxhall Corsa (not mine, btw, the stepson's)

Started ok one morning, drove to my house & parked, went back to start it 10 mins later - engine/starting motor not turning!

Fuses have been checked & ok.

Lights, instrument warning lights, indicators, windscreen wipers etc all ok.

Just in case, car battery has been charged (many hours).

Also, tried jump-starting - zilch!

Someone has suggested 'relay switch' - are they the ones handily located above the fuses, positioned so that you have to wreck half the dashboard to access them.
                        If so, which one?

Someone else also mentioned an immobiliser, & something about a 'chip' in the ignition key - ?? (it's a POC Corsa, for goodness sake!!)
                        (I haven't got the key here to check it)
                        If so, is this a 'Vauxhall garage only' job?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated!

Comment

Cheers Allan, was aware about repeat bleeding in some cases.

The air noise I think is coming form the rubber behind the brake pedal - like a conical rubber - like a CV boot i suppose by the feel of it (dont know how else to describe it. - thats where it sounds like - was starting to get dark when I looked!!

I suppose pressure is the wrong word as well - its like, an "armpit fart" - you know, put your hand under your armpit and flap like a chicken!

If I need the engine running, thats going to make the NSR fun to bleed!! - right next to the exhaust pipe ..... wonder if anywhere does a gas masks?!

Looks like I have a busy Saturday coming up! Suppose I should also say I have replaced the Master Cylinder (unit from breakers but all seals ok)
                          Oscar I would say the "Armpit Fart" may suggest the diaphragm in the servo is feked !

But without actually being in a position to personally examine it, I am only making assumptions based on what you describe, so don't take it as gospel and go ripping the thing apart until you are really sure of the problem.

Comment

Started ok one morning, drove to my house & parked, went back to start it 10 mins later - engine/starting motor not turning!

Someone has suggested 'relay switch' - are they the ones handily located above the fuses, positioned so that you have to wreck half the dashboard to access them.
                            If so, which one?

Someone else also mentioned an immobiliser, & something about a 'chip' in the ignition key - ?? (it's a POC Corsa, for goodness sake!!)

Ok first of all Corsa's have a reputation for dodgy electrics, so it could be anything from simply a sticking starter motor.

A couple of things to try to eliminate the immobilisor or the key transponder unit.

Put the car in second gear, handbrake off (IGNITION OFF) and try rocking it backwards and forwards to "free up" the starter motor, then try again to see if the car starts up.
                            If still not starting try and bump start it either by getting a hand or two to push start it or by towing it.
                            If it starts, then you have eliminated the immobiliser and ignition key transponder chip.
                            So it is down to either the starter motor or starter motor relay.

Either way, forget going to a main Vauxhall dealer, any decent auto electrician could sort it a lot cheaper.

Comment

Cheers, alland, you're a diamond!!

Comment

If so, which one?

Totally different car, but I had this on a fiesta. I managed, purely by chance to find it was a loose wire (on the coil I think, but could have been the starter) - there was enough of a connection to get ignition lights, but nothing else. I know when the ignition was turned on and if you "wiggled" it, you could hear a clicking noise as the electrics went on and off.

Comment

Working...
                                X