GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Battery put back in and the damn car is not starting!

It's just click click click. Headlamps working and all bright enough, so with the battery being tested today at ATS if came up as:

Test Result: Voltage 12.94V
    Start Capacity 62%
    Battery Unserviceable.

Goodness knows

We also filled with brand new oil and water etc.

Comment

If its clicking, it sounds like the starter motor is not engaging.

Sometimes, though not really recommended, a slight tap with a hammer is enough to solve it.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
        If its clicking, it sounds like the starter motor is not engaging.

Sometimes, though not really recommended, a slight tap with a hammer is enough to solve it.

Cheers Oscar, and someone else said the same thing, with the hammer, but yes I can see what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
          Cheers Oscar, and someone else said the same thing, with the hammer, but yes I can see what you mean.
          They quite easy to replace with most cars - and should cost too much from a scrappie - £15-£20 at most I would think.

Last one I did was on a Fiesta, that was literally unplug two wires, take out the two bolts, replace and reverse the above.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Battery put back in and the damn car is not starting!

It's just click click click. Headlamps working and all bright enough, so with the battery being tested today at ATS if came up as:

Test Result: Voltage 12.94V
            Start Capacity 62%
            Battery Unserviceable.

Goodness knows

We also filled with brand new oil and water etc.
            That could be it - you're not supposed to oil the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
              They quite easy to replace with most cars - and should cost too much from a scrappie - £15-£20 at most I would think.

Last one I did was on a Fiesta, that was literally unplug two wires, take out the two bolts, replace and reverse the above.

Thanks for that Oscar, and nice to know too, fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                That could be it - you're not supposed to oil the battery.

Me and my wording lol

Comment

Jamie was lucky to have a lift to work this morning in our car, but his job includes being oncall as well, but mainly can do this from home.

Hubby now has the car as he has to travel to work himself and is afternoons all week. So Jamie will have to find his own way home.

He will need to get done whatever needs doing in order to get another car, it will not be a brand new car as such, but if he's lucky for a demo he will be happy with that.
                  If there are a number of jobs that need doing, I think he will be best off going for a courtesy car for now, will have to check his ins docs as well, think he's covered for that. (just not got round to checking it yet).

With the travelling he does, I think diesel will be his best option for the next car, maybe another make too lol.

Comment

With the travelling he does, I think diesel will be his best option for the next car, maybe another make too lol.
                    Does Peel Engineering - link - offer a diesel engine?

Comment

Does Peel Engineering - link - offer a diesel engine?

road legal version from £10,000 though....EEK!

Comment

Originally posted by philnicandamy View Post
                        road legal version from £10,000 though....EEK!
                        But just think of the obvious advantage - one would never be stopped for speeding!

Comment

OMG pmsl

Comment

I wonder what his reaction will be when you suggest it.

Another possibility could be a second-hand Trabant - link - which are much more affordable - link.
                            Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 23 April 2012, 15:25.

Comment

But just think of the obvious advantage - one would never be stopped for speeding!

Hmm...doubt you'd be a hit with the ladies though..

and the noise...AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Comment

we had one of these as a kid

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/...eSearch=Search

Comment

Working...
                                X