GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    Could well have been the ignition switch to starter solenoid lead.
    Coming from the starter which is on the rear of the engine on the Corsa (if I remember correctly)there will be one thick copper wire (Battery lead) and a thin (15 amp) wire going to a spade end. This is normally hidden inside a waterproof rubber cover.

I have to say that it's a possibility.

Regards, Handy
    Dont know, all I can remember is that engine wouldnt turn over - starter motor didnt even turn, yet all lights and everything else could be/were on full, and it would start with a push.

I remember being pointed to it (the wire), got someone to look at the dash while I "wiggled" a wire behind the radiator. The dash lights would go off then on off on etc etc and you would get a "click".

Next time it failed to start I wiggled the wire a little and hey presto. Think I crimped it with pliers after a couple of days.
    Last edited by oscar; 23 April 2012, 22:22.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. I was at my local garage this morning asking them to do an emission test on my old motor. This is what fails most cars these days, but the calibration of the equipment means that one garage will fail your car but another will pass it.

Depends how much money they want to take you for. Beware cut price MOT's they are nearly always a loss leader. £54.00 I believe is the correct fee.

They are talking about making the MOT every 2 years. I along with most of the mechanics I know are against this move. Some people will only replace a headlight bulb when they get pulled or have to take their car for a test.

Can you imagine how many ill maintained (Dangerous)cars would be on the roads if they bring this in.

Regards, Handy

Thanks again for this Handy

Will be nice if Jamie can get the car back to a safe condition to part ex, the body is immaculate, shame about the other.
      I know every car can have its probs, but I have to admit - the driving he's been doing in the last few months, Newcastle in regards of his job promotion, 6 hours drive from here, and other surrounding areas of the above.

Tyres are all still fab, ok they were not cheap to start with but need to keep safe on the roads.

Oh yes, now that would be dangerous, every 2 years!! scary!

We have over the last few years taken our cars to ATS for MOT's, and will not go for cheap offers advertised, I don't trust companies that do that to be honest.

Comment

Cars don't you just love them, anyone seen the pictures of my engine on my Adventures thread? So now I am selling the car on at a massive loss. After putting in another engine I now have a noisy tappet. On most cars this would be an easy job to sort, but not on this one. Last Time I buy a Sciztubishi. I had a buyer and took it to the garage he uses to be checked only for it to fail on the emission's test. I flushed the engine and did a chemical de-coke, still no different. It passed the MOT back at the end of January with no problems and was well within limits.

To put it right needs another £300 + I am taking it back to my own garage to have them check it. They are as honest as the day is long, like I said there can be a wide variation in the calibration of the equipment used by different garages. The chaps doing the test have to believe that their equipment is set correctly.

Anyway I put a for sale sign on the car at yesterdays car boot sale (there has to be a joke in this) I have dropped the price by 1/3 rd of what I was asking. I got a fair bit of interest even though I told folk what was up with it and it would need £300 or more spending on it if they wanted to get it back in top condition.

I am taking it to a chap for a test drive tomorrow evening. The best part about this is he bought my last car from me

He has had the old Jeep for over 15 months now and it hasn't given him a bit of trouble, he also knows I am straight.

I know how it feels to be ripped off, couldn't do it to anyone else.

So fingers crossed as my new car needs taxing and insuring if I am to get it on the road next month.

Regards all, Handy.
        Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
        Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Cars don't you just love them, anyone seen the pictures of my engine on my Adventures thread? So now I am selling the car on at a massive loss. After putting in another engine I now have a noisy tappet. On most cars this would be an easy job to sort, but not on this one. Last Time I buy a Sciztubishi. I had a buyer and took it to the garage he uses to be checked only for it to fail on the emission's test. I flushed the engine and did a chemical de-coke, still no different. It passed the MOT back at the end of January with no problems and was well within limits.

To put it right needs another £300 + I am taking it back to my own garage to have them check it. They are as honest as the day is long, like I said there can be a wide variation in the calibration of the equipment used by different garages. The chaps doing the test have to believe that their equipment is set correctly.

Anyway I put a for sale sign on the car at yesterdays car boot sale (there has to be a joke in this) I have dropped the price by 1/3 rd of what I was asking. I got a fair bit of interest even though I told folk what was up with it and it would need £300 or more spending on it if they wanted to get it back in top condition.

I am taking it to a chap for a test drive tomorrow evening. The best part about this is he bought my last car from me

He has had the old Jeep for over 15 months now and it hasn't given him a bit of trouble, he also knows I am straight.

I know how it feels to be ripped off, couldn't do it to anyone else.

So fingers crossed as my new car needs taxing and insuring if I am to get it on the road next month.

Regards all, Handy.

I shall have to take a nose on there soon Handy

Good luck for the test drive tomorrow, I'm sure all will be ok.

It's good to know who your dealing with, and over the years we have been ripped off, but never again, we all live and learn, I think lol.

I like a jeep, Jamie does too, a good car on the road me thinks, been in a few of them, excellent runners on the road.

Fingers crossed for you Handy and thank you for all the help.

I will of course keep you all posted here too, cheers.

Comment

Could be you are not getting enough out of the alternator to recharge the battery? but ATS should have done this as well as checked for loose connections on the Battery, Starter and Alternator. On the Corsa this would take me all of 3 minutes.
            Slipping belt?

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
              the body is immaculate, shame about the other.
              ... As the bishop said to the actress.

Comment

Okay, got it started but only by getting a new battery on it, tried all the above suggestions first (thank you) .
                But it wasnt having it, so it is drivable to take to the local garage in the morning.
                Firstly though, my bro in law, did say if he can after he finishes work, he will try to bring a compressor with him, fingers crossed.

We managed a discount on the battery, because I have mates working for the business that sell them.

Hubby put on the new battery, it fired up straight away, left the car running for a little time, and we did note water coming out of the exhaust (this is where the water is disappearing then)?
                So I take it this is going back to the Gasket??

Also little specks of oil coming from housing.

So with the oil and water disappearing quick, now I do wonder??

Comment

Water from the exhaust on start up with modern cars fitted with a catalytic converter (you don't need to worry about what it does ) is normal a bit like condensation. If it continues when the engine is good and hot is a pointer to a blown head gasket. This means that on the exhaust stroke of the engine radiator, coolant is getting drawn into the cylinder and blown as steam out of the exhaust. Another check is to rev the engine at a @ 5000 rpm with the radiator cap removed (Don't take the cap off with the engine to temperature as you could get scalded)and look for gas bubbles in the water tank. Another give away is pressure in the radiator header tank when the engine is cold. Before start up feel the water pipes, they should be soft and squeeze in easily. When you remove the cap if there is a hiss of escaping gas this is another indicator.

When running the engine with the oil filler cap off you will get little specks of oil blown out. If there seems to be a spray of oil or exhaust gases in the valve cover then it may be a leak between the cylinder or an oil way.

I could go on but without seeing the car myself all I can offer are suggestions.

Regardless it seems like a spanner job.

Regards, Handy
                  Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,

Comment

I could go on but without seeing the car myself all I can offer are suggestions.
                    So what's it when the garage boss makes that sucking noise and starts to shake his head slowly?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                      So what's it when the garage boss makes that sucking noise and starts to shake his head slowly?

Been there, done that. Quick fit are the worst as most of their fitters work self employed. What they make over their rent is theirs so the more they can do you for

I was once quoted over £180 for parts and fitting that only cost me £70 and took 1/2 an hour to fit.

I decided it was worth taking the car off the road a couple of days until I got the bits at the right price, rather than have a Dick Turpin done on me.

Regards, Handy

Comment

Water from the exhaust on start up with modern cars fitted with a catalytic converter (you don't need to worry about what it does ) is normal a bit like condensation. If it continues when the engine is good and hot is a pointer to a blown head gasket. This means that on the exhaust stroke of the engine radiator, coolant is getting drawn into the cylinder and blown as steam out of the exhaust. Another check is to rev the engine at a @ 5000 rpm with the radiator cap removed (Don't take the cap off with the engine to temperature as you could get scalded)and look for gas bubbles in the water tank. Another give away is pressure in the radiator header tank when the engine is cold. Before start up feel the water pipes, they should be soft and squeeze in easily. When you remove the cap if there is a hiss of escaping gas this is another indicator.

When running the engine with the oil filler cap off you will get little specks of oil blown out. If there seems to be a spray of oil or exhaust gases in the valve cover then it may be a leak between the cylinder or an oil way.

Regardless it seems like a spanner job.

Regards, Handy

Cheers Handy

You are handy indeed, and excellent advice, thank you.

Will try again a little later, hubby gone to work now, or just wait for inlaw to have a go now, just hope he remembers to bring his compressor kit as well.

I think the engine was running for a good 15 mins when water was still splurting out.
                        However, hubby said he did note there was like deposits blowing from the exhaust some days back, he noticed as Jamie drove off.

Thank you again.

Comment

I was once quoted over £180 for parts and fitting that only cost me £70 and took 1/2 an hour to fit.
                          Replied here ----> link

Comment

Another update.

My bro in law turned up with his compressor, and it appears to be the water pump, as he was pumping the system thingie, water sprayed everywhere , a free shower i suppose lol.

Soooo by getting this part, it's a job we can do ourselves lol, my bro in law as said in earlier post is a mechanic (fords), and offered to help, but Jamie is not very patient and said he doesn't know how much longer he can wait!
                            I told him everyone are working funny hours, and even if he get's it in a garage they may not be able to do it the same day.

My inlaw said he will have time to fix this on the weekend, at the same time the cambelt can be changed me thinks, with the MOT coming up in due course as well.

Thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
                              , at the same time the cambelt can be changed
                              I was going to suggest just that. At least then it is done and out the way for a good few thousand miles (not sure what the recommendation is for a corsa - about 30K I think)
                              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                                I was going to suggest just that. At least then it is done and out the way for a good few thousand miles (not sure what the recommendation is for a corsa - about 30K I think)

Thank you Oscar.

Comment

Working...
                                X