GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Originally posted by alland View Post
    Oscar I would say the "Armpit Fart" may suggest the diaphragm in the servo is feked !

But without actually being in a position to personally examine it, I am only making assumptions based on what you describe, so don't take it as gospel and go ripping the thing apart until you are really sure of the problem.
    Lovely. Thats a nice big job I didnt want! ..... but would this also account for loss of fluid?.

How easyt is the servo unit to replace? - it looks like its a fixed unit (to the bulkhead) and I cant see any bolts holding it on
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Oscar, as i mentioned in an earlier post, if the diaphragm/ seals in the servo have gone, then fluid could leak into it and you will not see any leak.
      The way the servo is mounted on the bulkhead can be either bolts showing on the outside of bulkhead in the engine bay, or bolted through the bulkhead with the bolts on the inside up behind the dash.

As I said before, don't go pulling it all apart until you have confimed it is the servo causing the problem. If you have now reached a point where you are not really sure and not getting anywhere with it, maybe it's time to take it in to a local garage.

Comment

Am I right in thinking that to check the servo you can pump the brake pedal with the engine off until it's really solid, then keep your foot on the brake and start the engine. If the servo's OK you should feel the pedal move gently away from you.

Comment

Appreciate that Allan, I am not in the habit of just pulling things apart. Destroying then through frustration is another thing! I am fairly sure the servo is ok, and a couple of people, more minded than me have said this also. I haven't as yet bled the brakes again, but will do so tomorrow and see how that fairs.

Problem with local garages round here is (well, we only have one or two) which either employ idiots or are rip off prices!!

I found THIS on fleabay. I have no intentions of buying, just using as a demonstration, and to answer a query. The rubber "cover" on the right - is this vitally important, ie a seal, or is this a dust cover? - This is what is split on the inside of the car behind the pedal. Not suggesting this is the problem of course.

Apreciate I am being a complete and utter pain in the arse here!! But if it isnt this, and doesnt work after bleeding the brakes, then its either going to the garage, or down the road with a gallon of fuel (but then that would be a waste of £7!! )
          Last edited by oscar; 28 July 2011, 19:19.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by caspar View Post
            Am I right in thinking that to check the servo you can pump the brake pedal with the engine off until it's really solid, then keep your foot on the brake and start the engine. If the servo's OK you should feel the pedal move gently away from you.
            Yes & no caspar, what you describe is the correct feeling you will get through the pedal, but it won't tell you if the servo has failed seals and is allowing fluid into the diaphragm.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post

I found THIS on fleabay. I have no intentions of buying, just using as a demonstration, and to answer a query. The rubber "cover" on the right - is this vitally important, ie a seal, or is this a dust cover? - This is what is split on the inside of the car behind the pedal. Not suggesting this is the problem of course.
              The seal on the right in the picture with the clevis pin sticking out of it (to fasten to the pedal) is just a dust seal, if it was a fluid seal and had failed to account for your loss of brake fluid, you would easily see it leaking, and the carpet would be wet !

If you are 100% sure you have no leaks anywhere else on the brake system, then it can only be going into the servo diaphragm body.

Comment

Any use?

http://www.upmystreet.com/findmynear...ales-euro.html

Last edited by charitynjw; 29 July 2011, 13:39.

Comment

Can we have a layman (or woman) layman term for these things...

A bulkhead to me is some muscleman with a meathead (the sort you know if you hit with a hammer, would break the hammer).... as for the other things, what is a key again? Is that for going backwards....?

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

A bulkhead to me is some muscleman with a meathead (the sort you know if you hit with a hammer, would break the hammer).... as for the other things, what is a key again? Is that for going backwards....?

I don't know what the fek they mean...I just say the first thing that comes into my head.....

Comment

I don't know what the fek they mean...I just say the first thing that comes into my head.....
                      Sounds like my local garage.

Comment

A bulkhead to me is some muscleman backwards....?

Assuming you are not being a piss taking twat, the bulkhead is the piece of metal between the engine bay and where you sit.

Dont seem to be losing fluid now allan, all I can assume is that I have air in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                          Unfortunately not charity - they are all in the shit part of wales - the South. Closest to me would be the ones around Llandrindod and thats still 90 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                            Assuming you are not being a piss taking twat, the bulkhead is the piece of metal between the engine bay and where you sit.
                            Ahh thanks mate

Don't hold back, you just say it as it is -
                            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

The seal on the right in the picture with the clevis pin sticking out of it (to fasten to the pedal) is just a dust seal, if it was a fluid seal and had failed to account for your loss of brake fluid, you would easily see it leaking, and the carpet would be wet !

If you are 100% sure you have no leaks anywhere else on the brake system, then it can only be going into the servo diaphragm body.
                              Wouldn't be the tang, then?

Comment

Ahh thanks mate

Don't hold back, you just say it as it is -
                                lol - I wasnt too sure if you were or not, given the whistle smileys.

If I am like this on the forum, imagine what I am like when a DCA calls!!

MBNA called me agin the other night - over 20 minutes I kept then on the phone ...... thats their monthly target and bonus shot to pieces!!

Comment

Working...
                                X