GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Problem with your car? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with your car?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Problem with your car?

Advice please.

My son rang today, he broke down in his Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI, 2003 year.
    He heard a pop, then car cut out.

Oil checked, Water Res, this did need filling, so did that, managed to get it started by a passer by with jump leads, but by the time we got it home the water res was empty "already", and it was only about 2 miles from where breaking down to getting it home.

Taken the battery out to charge as well, but the machine confirmed it was already fully charged.

Any ideas please guys?

Thank you. x

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
      Advice please.

My son rang today, he broke down in his Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXI, 2003 year.
      He heard a pop, then car cut out.

Oil checked, Water Res, this did need filling, so did that, managed to get it started by a passer by with jump leads, but by the time we got it home the water res was empty "already", and it was only about 2 miles from where breaking down to getting it home.

Taken the battery out to charge as well, but the machine confirmed it was already fully charged.

Any ideas please guys?

Thank you. x
      Sorry to say Di, but it sounds like it could be a head gasket failure, your Son really needs to get it to a mechanic and checked out before it does any other damage to the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by alland View Post
        Sorry to say Di, but it sounds like it could be a head gasket failure, your Son really needs to get it to a mechanic and checked out before it does any other damage to the engine.

Thank you hon, I did think something along those lines.

He is hoping to get a new car soon, shame he didn't do it earlier lol.

Any idea on a rough price to get a job like this done, if this is the problem (on top of your head)?

Cheers so muchly x
        Last edited by di30; 22 April 2012, 20:55.

Comment

head gaskets cheap part but a biatch to fit etc they can be expensive!

Comment

Originally posted by jen_br View Post
            head gaskets cheap part but a biatch to fit etc they can be expensive!

Thanks Jen.

Is it your son that has the same car? x

Comment

Originally posted by di30 View Post
              Thank you hon, I did think something along those lines.

He is hoping to get a new car soon, shame he didn't do it earlier lol.

Any idea on a rough price to get a job like this done, if this is the problem (on top of your head)?

Cheers so muchly x
              Not really a cheap job. As Jen says, gasket is cheap enough, but you might need to get the "head" skimmed (dependent if Aluminium or steel) will also need stretch bolts.

Not sure with a Corsa, but some cars need the Cambelt to come off, and that is a precision job. Needs to go back EXACTLY in the same place.

Just a thought Allan, could it be the Water pump?
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Head Gasket and Bolt kit @ £50 from the internet you can double that for a Vauxhall dealer. What worries me is not being able to turn the engine over.

Ask him to check for Water in the oil? more than likely there will be traces of water in the exhaust. A garage can do a pressure and compression test before taking the spanners to it. This would rule out Radiator cap / coolant hose failure. After that its fingers crossed because you never know what your going to find when you strip an engine down.

Fingers crossed.

Regards, Handy
                Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                  Not really a cheap job. As Jen says, gasket is cheap enough, but you might need to get the "head" skimmed (dependent if Aluminium or steel) will also need stretch bolts.

Not sure with a Corsa, but some cars need the Cambelt to come off, and that is a precision job. Needs to go back EXACTLY in the same place.

Just a thought Allan, could it be the Water pump?

I did try contacting my bro in law who is also a mechanic, but not available, not sure if he will be able to get the job done at home, or if it will have to be taken to garage.

My son did actually mention something about water pump, because he said there appeared to be a little smoke as he parked up as well coming from the bonnet.

Comment

Thank you all for your very useful input though and I do think anything of what you all suggested is possible.

Strangely enough, the oil do not seem to be lasting either.

(he defo needs to change his car) lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      Head Gasket and Bolt kit @ £50 from the internet you can double that for a Vauxhall dealer. What worries me is not being able to turn the engine over.

Ask him to check for Water in the oil? more than likely there will be traces of water in the exhaust. A garage can do a pressure and compression test before taking the spanners to it. This would rule out Radiator cap / coolant hose failure. After that its fingers crossed because you never know what your going to find when you strip an engine down.

Fingers crossed.

Regards, Handy

Will do thank you Handy, useful suggestions there.

Comment

Forgot to ask, does any of you guys know the cost of compression tests these days please (approx) thank you.

Will the car be safe to drive to local garage do you think?

Cheers.

Comment

You should be all right to get it to the garage providing you fill up the radiator first and keep an eye on the temperature gauge on the way. If it overheats again remember to let the engine cool before removing the radiator cap and topping up with water.

A compression test involves removing the spark plugs and should be less than 1/2 an hours labour. A pressure test involves fitting a special radiator cap and pressurising the cooling system and then waiting for a period of time (The longer the better)to see if the pressure drops substantially.

I know at my local garage they would only charge @ £20.00 + vat for doing these checks.

If the head gasket needs doing I would recommend your son has the timing belt replaced at the same time unless you know what the mileage was when it was last replaced as it will have to be removed as part of the work anyway.

Regards, Handy
                          Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
                          Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

I had a Rover 214, cost to replace head gasket was quoted at £600 ish by local garage, but I suppose it depends on how much damage has been done. I decided against replacing and got £150 scrap for the car and used it towards my next purchase.

Whether this would be the same sort of figure for your son, I don't know?
                            If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all.
                              On to it now today.

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Cannot get it into the nearest garage today, but up to now went to Mon&Border and got some prices (just in case).

They gave the price of the highest W/pump, with VAT that would cost £67.56
                                Head Gasket £34.34
                                T/C/Kit (chain) if required £88.56

Forgot to get price of cambelt but can't imagine that to be that dear.

My bro in law/mechanic of Fords, received the message, and is hoping to get the chance to call in after work to take a look and maybe bring his test compressor along with him and if he is able to, we will pay him to get the jobs done, if he can. (depending on the problem).

Comment

Working...
                                X