GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SXGuy
    replied
    Re: My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Im no expert, but if the clutch is covered by the warrenty then the dealer is wrong to say theres nothing he can do, it should be fixed straight away as its under warrenty.

The second thing is having to pay for the repairs before getting the money back, im assuming that was because RAC took him to a garage other than the dealership. I know if its an insurance job then they usually invoice the insurance company, how it works with warrenty issues outside the dealship i dont know, but im guessing this was unavoidable as it wasnt taken to the dealership.

Leave a comment:

• My son's consumer rights buying used car/recurring problems

Hi folks
    I did post a post the other day but unable to find it lol, no worries as I know there's been upgrades to the new fab site.

My son purchased a used 2nd hand car by HP in June with 3 months free warranty.

It wasnt cheap either, but he had 3 unfortunate breakdowns and its found to be the same recurring problem (Master cylinder on clutch).

As you know we live in Wales, he broken down in London the other day, and the RAC ended up taking it to the nearest garage, my son broken down on a Red Route road, but there was naff all he could do about it, he did however have 2 passengers with him as well and he had to fork out £75 for them all to get home last minute on the mega-bus! "Ouch"

And of course he had to fork out again for fuel to get down there to collect his car from the garage yesterday!

Warranty approved of the work, but said my son firstly has to pay the amount of whatever the job comes to, then when they receive a copy of the invoice they will refund the amount back to him (surely this should not have been the case)? say if my son never had the money to pay in the first place??

Now he called in to see the dealer yesterday to tell him about the recurring problem and all the dealer said was basically there was nothing he could do unless it happens again.
    But the point here is the warranty is being used up on the same part all the time, so the mechanic in London also gave the invoice yesterday that says this:

Clutch Master Cylinder (replaced) £56.75
    Clutch Fluid. £4.50
    Labour: £105.00
    total = £199.50.

Advisory:
    Clutch pedal feels quite stiff, and heavy, possible fault with clutch or bearing, or clutch fork, needs further investigation.

So the above was done, but still needs further investigation, my son shown the invoice and the dealer just said "I cant do anything unless it happens again"
    That is not right and I know there are rights on this!!

Now my son left it in a local garage to have it checked in the morning and is now using another car lent out to him where he has has to fill with diesel again! (More expense)!
    He has a job where it includes being "on call" so needs his car!

Last night I was checking the OFT site about buying a used car "rights etc"

The car when he purchased it last month was advertised as "Excellent Condition" Mechanically sound, all the good stuff basically!
    Now to break down 3 times in a month for the same problem is absolutely stupid!

What are your thoughts please folks? and how would I go about getting his our or pocket expenses back to him? (I assume the dealer as they set it up, but he's not much cop)! and I really don't think he knows Consumers have rights! I would like to slap some paperwork in front of him!

Cheers again.
Working...
X