GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Barclays Reserve Usage Fees - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barclays Reserve Usage Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barclays Reserve Usage Fees

A de facto limit of £1,000 if you go overdrawn without authorisation. £22 every 5 days plus £8 charge for each item returned over that limit.

I wrote a hardship letter to Barcrap Bank as they wouldn't let me have an overdraft. They wrote back saying "go into a branch and get them to manually override the computer."

I go to branch and woman taps a few keys and says "computer says no." I ask about the manual override and she says "no. computer says no."

I send a second letter to bank saying that reserve usage has cost me £2000 in 24 months and bank charges £1000 over same period. When I went into branch I was told no manuakl intervention possible.

Bank replies partially upholding my complaint and avising I return to branch. Same thing happens again.

Now, over 2 year period Barcklays screw me for £3000 when, had I had an overdraft, that wouldn't have happened. They sent me 40 letters saying I was using my reserve and in those letters say *(sic) "regular use of your reserve is not the point of it and it will get withdrawn if you becomne reliant on it." Well it was obvious i was reliant on it as de facto overdraft and their 40 letters prove it.

Bank never sent me an i/e sheet or offered a plan to get me out of reserve usage reliance.

So I complained and they said no to refund of charges and as far as reserve was concerned "tough" as I had the option to leave it any point. Well, no, not really cos I needed it to survive.

Eventually goes to the FOS who have said bank were fully compliant with hardship handling.

I have responded to FOS saying how can this be, since bank did not offer any assistance when I initially asked for assistance.

Any views?

Re: Barclays Reserve Usage Fees

Ihave had the same problem with barclays - I am in the process of putting together another complaint to a specific person (within the bank), howver, the person I need to speak to has gone off line for a while.

If I remember correctly, they never wrote to me about breaching T&Cs re constantly in the reserve. IN fact the only time they got into contact with me was when I exceeded the reserve!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by The Debt Star View Post
      Any views?
      Other than the FOS being single handedly funded by Barclays and possibly in their back pockets?

Nope, no other views from me i'm afraid matey
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
        Ihave had the same problem with barclays - I am in the process of putting together another complaint to a specific person (within the bank), howver, the person I need to speak to has gone off line for a while.

If I remember correctly, they never wrote to me about breaching T&Cs re constantly in the reserve. IN fact the only time they got into contact with me was when I exceeded the reserve!
        £88 per month if constantly in reserve. Add on top of that charges for returns. One month they took 10% of my income in reserve usage and charges.

The FOS itself says that charges and fees that "spiral" overdrawn accounts are unfair but when you complain to the FOS they aren't interested. The bank also LIE and tell the FOS all manner of crap to justiofy their actions and the FOS just buy it.

I have told the FOS to ask the bank for proof they sent an i/e sheet and offered a repayment plan. I know they didn't so it'll be interesting to see how the bank respond - they have tried to lump their hardship response on my overdraft in with a separate complaint I made 12 months later on a separate CDCS loan.

If you haven't received the reserve letters mate then I would think you have a good case.

Comment

Defo complaining to the indp assessor when this is done as FOS response is appalling.

Comment

Barclays again Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Can't comment on "reserve" never been there but they apply the same unprincipled unethical approach to many of their operations. They skate completely on the fringes of the law, codes of practice and guidelines all of the time.

regards
            Garlok

Comment

One month they took 10% of my income in reserve usage and charges.
              When I exceeded the reserve (cos they didnt help beforehand) they were suddenly able to remove the reserve, increase my O/D, and make an arrangement to pay the overdraft down. To assist me with this, they HAD to apply the charges I had accrued in the last two/three weeks and added £170 in TWO days!!!

I have told the FOS to ask the bank for proof they sent an i/e sheet and offered a repayment plan.
              FOS are a waste of time (and space and oxygen). I shot myself in the foot with mine a little. He sent a response letter, I asked for it to be escalated. He responded back saying I couldnt till he had finished, but he had finished now so I could.

I sort of lost my sense here and emailed him saying there was little point in doing so if he couldnt be bothered to address my issues or questions and hide behind the test case.

I didnt do myself much good in that my original letter "scared the shit out of them"(I believe that was NIddys repsonse)
              Last edited by oscar; 19 June 2011, 16:32.
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                Barclays again Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Can't comment on "reserve" never been there but they apply the same unprincipled unethical approach to many of their operations. They skate completely on the fringes of the law, codes of practice and guidelines all of the time.
                Oh, indeed - one just needs to look at their antics in Seth Efrica during apartheid.
                Last edited by CleverClogs (RIP); 19 June 2011, 15:00.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                  Oh, indeed - one just needs to look at their antics in Seth Efrica during apartheid.
                  Absolutely.

Comment

When I exceeded the reserve (cos they didnt help beforehand) they were suddenly able to remove the reserve, increase my O/D, and make an arrangement to pay the overdraft down. To assist me with this, they HAD to apply the charges I had accrued in the last two/three weeks and added £170 in TWO days!!!
                    Yeah, similar case scenario to how they treated me.

I have a long and equally unpleasant relationship with Barclays.

Comment

I didnt do myself much good in that my original letter "scared the shit out of them"(I believe that was NIddys repsonse)
                      Yes mate - you went for the jugular with the mediator - wise, real wise

I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

well I wrote back to mine demanding a referral to the ombudsman too, but I had nothing to lose as she had already rejected my complaint. I then get a letter saying she is going back to the bank for "more information." what a joke. They'll lie to her any way. Being as its Barclays.

Comment

well I wrote back to mine demanding a referral to the ombudsman too, but I had nothing to lose as she had already rejected my complaint. I then get a letter saying she is going back to the bank for "more information." what a joke. They'll lie to her any way. Being as its Barclays.
                          Mine was better. I basically told the FOS they didnt have a fucking clue what they were doing, and that it was a waste of time writing to them cos I already knew their answser.

Well, in not so many words anyway .... I actually quoted all their own rulings and legislation at them. Basically tried to tell them how to suck eggs!

Comment

Did you go to the FOS Service Review Team? Apparently they review cases as well as adjudicator conduct. appears to be a lower tier than the independent assessor at the FOS.

Comment

I didnt. I have another complaint due to go to barclays regards this - now a bit less agressive and giving more information. Letter is going to the guy who has been brought in to reduce complaint levels - good luck given barclays get twice as many as their nearest "competitor" (not sure competitor is the right word - no wants to achieve fame by being top .... then again, maybe barclays dont want any more customers!)

Comment

Working...
                              X