GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script How to get account numbers? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to get account numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get account numbers?

I have a few accounts in debt with from ages ago and I have no idea how to get account numbers from years and years ago... These CRAs only tell me last 4 digits.

-edit-

Read below but basically CapQuest sending letters demanding payment an court on an unknown debt.

Working out what to do...?
    Last edited by Flughesy; 6 December 2012, 03:01. Reason: More important for me to change topic
    There is more shadiness in the business world than in the criminal world.

Re: How to get account numbers?

Originally posted by Flughesy View Post
    I have a few accounts in debt with from ages ago and I have no idea how to get account numbers from years and years ago... These CRAs only tell me last 4 digits.
    Well if the accounts are that old, why do you now need the numbers... shouldn't you be awaiting statute barred?

Tell us more, then we can help. Main point of fact, generally you would not refer to a CRA to establish what accounts you have as not all lenders use a CRA, similarly not all use the same CRA.

Info will vary, so ideally try and remember who you had credit with and then write in asking, but I'd not do this without good reason....
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Surely the CRAs also thell you the company that you had the account with?

Why not just SAR them for the info?
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

What does Statute Barred mean in laymens terms?

Basically I know I have a bank debt which has defaulted and I have no idea what to do.

I just got a letter from CapQuest funnily enough saying I owe 600 odd pounds for something I have no clue about and account was opened in 2004 then defaulted in 2008. Funnily enough it includes account and reference number.

The debt I had whatever and whoever it was has been sold on to a company!

The only possibility is it could be RBS as that's who I used to bank with.

I'm wary of contacting companies over the phone because I myself work in telesales and know its business tricks and tactics vs customers and I am not an expert, solicitor or know it all.

Is a DSAR the best thing to do and who would I write to?

Keeping in mind CapQuest threatened court action if not paid or planned payment within 7 days.

My goal is to keep all money that is rightfully mine! Perhaps paying them the least possible without them persuading or tricking me in to paying too much and improve my credit score. Ideally I'd like to settle my debts but I don't know if the history/debt/default will be removed in 2014, is it worth ignoring all and waiting and not acknowledging the debt.

I appreciate any help thank you.

Comment

I'm signed up on a multi credit reference agency: checkmyfile

I have mail orders I have no idea about comes in total to over 1000 and I dont want to be paying companies that seem to be able to add money on for no reason or 20 pound to send me a letter.

Comment

Just hang tight, someone with all the advice you need will be along to tell you exactly what to do - don't do anything until they tell you.

Comment

Capquest bark loudly - dont worry too much about that "threat"...
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

What does Statute Barred mean in laymens terms?

Basically I know I have a bank debt which has defaulted and I have no idea what to do.

I just got a letter from CapQuest funnily enough saying I owe 600 odd pounds for something I have no clue about and account was opened in 2004 then defaulted in 2008. Funnily enough it includes account and reference number.

The debt I had whatever and whoever it was has been sold on to a company!

The only possibility is it could be RBS as that's who I used to bank with.

I'm wary of contacting companies over the phone because I myself work in telesales and know its business tricks and tactics vs customers and I am not an expert, solicitor or know it all.

Is a DSAR the best thing to do and who would I write to?

Keeping in mind CapQuest threatened court action if not paid or planned payment within 7 days.

My goal is to keep all money that is rightfully mine! Perhaps paying them the least possible without them persuading or tricking me in to paying too much and improve my credit score. Ideally I'd like to settle my debts but I don't know if the history/debt/default will be removed in 2014, is it worth ignoring all and waiting and not acknowledging the debt.

I appreciate any help thank you.
                In the case of most debts, 'statute barred' relates to Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. What it means in layman's terms is that once a period of six years has elapsed without a payment or written acknowledgment of the alleged debt, the creditor is no longer able to enforce through the courts.

Mortgage shortfalls are treated separately. The creditor in that case has twelve years in which to take legal action. In Scotland, the limitation period is only five years, and the debt is extinguished at the point where it becomes statute barred, but I see you are in England so this will not apply.

CrapQuest and their ilk always make silly threats like 7 days. They probably also posted the letter late by a bog-standard third class postal service, so by the time it reached you the time had either expired or was very close to it. That is the usual trick.

You are completely justified in being wary of speaking with this type of company over the phone. The best advice is simply never to do so.

The first obvious question is does the account number quoted on the letter relate to any account you have ever owned?

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                  In the case of most debts, 'statute barred' relates to Section 5 of the Limitation Act 1980. What it means in layman's terms is that once a period of six years has elapsed without a payment or written acknowledgment of the alleged debt, the creditor is no longer able to enforce through the courts.

Mortgage shortfalls are treated separately. The creditor in that case has twelve years in which to take legal action. In Scotland, the limitation period is only five years, and the debt is extinguished at the point where it becomes statute barred, but I see you are in England so this will not apply.

CrapQuest and their ilk always make silly threats like 7 days. They probably also posted the letter late by a bog-standard third class postal service, so by the time it reached you the time had either expired or was very close to it. That is the usual trick.

You are completely justified in being wary of speaking with this type of company over the phone. The best advice is simply never to do so.

The first obvious question is does the account number quoted on the letter relate to any account you have ever owned?

SH
                  Spot on about the letter! I found it funny letter dated 29th November and it came only today, thought this myself another scare/pressure tactic.

Can they fake it ie saying I made a payment once or have acknowledge the debt! What stops them faking or lying?

I have learned a lot working for a telesales company so being one that persuades and influences a little and being around others that are experienced a bit I know a little how they work and their intentions.

Comment

I dont recognise it although it may be right, I think I've only really had a gym membership which it could be and its added up, a contract or something. How can I get them not to add anything extra and prove what exactly this is for?

Then there's mail orders which my mum will have taken out under my name and card when younger which is Arrow Global, I have never used a mail order or catalogue in my life.

Comment

Can they fake it ie saying I made a payment once or have acknowledge the debt! What stops them faking or lying?
                      It does happen. I remember one case on the last forum I used to post on, back in 2008, where the debt collectors alleged that a debtor had made one isolated payment at a certain time. They made a bad choice, beause he was able to prove that he was out of the country at that time and couldn't possibly have done what they were suggesting.

In another case which I remember from around the same time, another debt collector sent a letter saying "this debt is not statute barred. You made a payment on 6th May 2004". No proof was ever given, they just sent that letter to get the case into court. In the end, the alleged debtor even got his MP involved in the case, and the debt collectors had to pay compensation. I don't have the exact details as I wasn't personally involved.

As I believe in naming and shaming vile debt collectors, I can tell you that the first offenders were Lowell, usually known as Clownell or the Leeds Losers, and the second were Cabot Financial, usually known as Crapbot Farcical.

The potential for treachery and deceit is always there with debt collectors, which is why we never sign any letter which is sent to them. They can easily lift a signature from a letter and use Photoshop to put it onto a reconstituted agreement.

The more accurate the records you can keep, the better, especially when it comes to statements of account. If they try to create a fake payment, and it doesn't show up on statements, the court will want to know why.

If you don't have any definite knowledge of the number quoted on the letter, I would be inclined to send a 'prove it' letter to make them show their hand.

Here is a template -

Our Templates | Harassment & Intimidation Templates | You know nothing of the Debt / Prove It

You would need to amend it slightly, because it asks for a creditor name and there is not one quoted on the letter. It should at least get them to reveal what this is about.

SH

Comment

So would I send this to CCS Collect themselves who sent me letter or to CrapQuest? Or even RBS?

Another question, my parents got married and I have had a name change so would I just sign in my current name even though my name was different when I had the debt?

Comment

Also will my response to them encourage further action on their part letters or doorstep nobs?
                          Will they just consider this me acknowledging the debt?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Sorry, you said in post #4 that the letter had come from CrapQuest. If it has come from CCS Collect, I would be inclined to ignore it. I've just spent an hour researching this rabble as I'd not come across them before. It seems as though their chain of letters is pretty well known and that all their threats are just hot air. Apparently, they do a lot of harassing for private parking operations.

They appear to be phishing and to be just taking chances on frightening you into paying. It is one bottom of the barrel DCA mailing on behalf of another (why can't CrapQuest write their own letters?), and no mention of an original creditor.

I've found several cases online of the exact same letter being sent, sometimes on behalf of CrapQuest, sometimes on behalf of parking sharks, and sometimes for other debt collectors. It usually gets followed up with another silly threat, so I would ignore for now and see if this follows the same pattern.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by ScabHunter View Post
                              Sorry, you said in post #4 that the letter had come from CrapQuest. If it has come from CCS Collect, I would be inclined to ignore it. I've just spent an hour researching this rabble as I'd not come across them before. It seems as though their chain of letters is pretty well known and that all their threats are just hot air. Apparently, they do a lot of harassing for private parking operations.

They appear to be phishing and to be just taking chances on frightening you into paying. It is one bottom of the barrel DCA mailing on behalf of another (why can't CrapQuest write their own letters?), and no mention of an original creditor.

I've found several cases online of the exact same letter being sent, sometimes on behalf of CrapQuest, sometimes on behalf of parking sharks, and sometimes for other debt collectors. It usually gets followed up with another silly threat, so I would ignore for now and see if this follows the same pattern.

SH
                              appreciate you're help and my mistake yes the CCS Collect sent the letter, it would not surprise me if they are the same or similar company working together just seems like a technique in to making people pay.

The thing is it does appear on my credit history which I see from on checkmyfile.

Comment

Working...
                              X