GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Ignorant newbie doesn't know where to turn - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ignorant newbie doesn't know where to turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignorant newbie doesn't know where to turn

Hi everyone I'm hoping someone can help me...

My oh went away working at short notice so i opened his post. I found a letter saying that 1st credit would like to send a doorstep agent to assist in resolving a debt of approximately 3.5k, reduced by 70% if he got in touch quickly. The debt is with Bank of Scotland, not Halifax Bank of Scotland, which i assume means it's pre 2001 when they merged (oh is difficult to contact because of travelling). A week later i opened another letter requesting a full financial breakdown - right down to nappies, newspapers, tobacco, sweets etc - so they can work out a payment plan.

I'm scared. I'm on my own with our 1yo and don't want debt collectors at my door. The property and pretty much all the valuables (tv, musical instruments, car, erm... That's about it!) predate the relationship and/or are in my name. Tbh we're not well off so you'd not get much for it anyway, certainly not that kind of money.

How do i either put them off until oh is back to deal with it, or better make them go away completely?

Apologies for any truly stupid questions, i spend my days saying things like "vrrrm vrrrm car" and "can you point to the yellow duckie?" and it's fried my few remaining brain cells

Re: Ignorant newbie doesn't know where to turn

Hi, have you talked to your OH about this? When was the last time he made a payment to the account?

Comment

No, the first letter arrived after he went. I don't recognise the envelopes and as far as i can tell this is the first communication from them.

He had a stroke just over a year ago so may not be able to remember anyway. I doubt he has paperwork going back that far we'd be swimming in the stuff!

Comment

Hi Santanabunny and welcome to AAD
        First of all, please please stop worrying. These "doorstep agents" very rarely turn up...it's usually just a standard, templated threat to get people to panic and contact them.

Most importantly, they have no right of entry to your home, indeed no rights at all. They can't take your belongings, force their way in or make you (or your husband) pay anything or even discuss it on the doorstep. In the highly unlikely event of them turning up, either don't answer the door, or if you do, simply tell them to leave, and shut the door. They have to go if you do.
        Similarly, don't discuss anything on the phone with these people, ever.

As Buffy says, you need to speak to your husband. The fact that they're offering a 70% discount probably means there's something very wrong with this debt. For example, it may be unenforceable in court, or it may be more than 6 years since your OH paid anything, in which case it's classed as "Statute Barred" and cannot be enforced in court.
        It may even be a case of mistaken identity.

We can help your OH sort this out, just find out when he last paid it and whether he wants to dispute it...we can help with that.

Elsa x

Comment

Thank you that's a huge relief!

I think it probably is unenforceable, if it was after 2001ish it'd say HBOS *not* just Bank of Scotland. I'll ask him about it when i get a chance but i don't know when that'll be unfortunately. It all comes at once, he's been off sick and/or working part time until the date of the first letter!

Comment

Oops sorry, discount is 30% - they want him/us to pay 70% of the "total"

Comment

We've chatted via email so I'm aware of this. I can't do much by way of my contact at 1st Credit but I do suggest you follow the UE route just now.

I've previously told you hbos IS bank of Scotland so stop trying to differentiate - it's one and the same and irrelevant here.

You need to send the cca request; as linked in my last email.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                You need to send the cca request
                Can the OP send a CCA request on behalf of her husband's alleged debt?

I suppose she can with a digital signature

Comment

It can be arranged, sure
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                    It can be arranged, sure

Of course. Plenty of husbands treat their wives as unpaid secretaries

Comment

Yeah I'm only differentiating because of dates (ooh look at me, that word has lots of syllables!)

We're not married (yet) does that make a difference to how i deal with it?

Back to being thick, what's a digital signature? Is it like typing your name or more complicated?

Comment

For sure she can, I send CCA letters for my other half also

Comment

http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...Sign-Digitally

Comment

Ah ok, so i print the cca thingy but put the tamper strip where the signature goes and sign on that? I'm not forging a signature (although the one i sign for parcels with is vastly different to the one on my bank card!) but would happily write pp oh's name on it, if that would work?

Comment

Just type it, don't sign anything, or rather, tell your OH not to

Comment

Working...
                              X