GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Time limit for a default to be issued - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time limit for a default to be issued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time limit for a default to be issued

Hi
    My son had a mobile phone on contract. Unfortunately, he lost his job and needed to cancel the contract (over 6 years ago). He called and cancelled and received a figure to settle the account, which he paid over the phone. Following this, we moved house twice in a short period of time. About 3 years later, he received a letter from a company chasing a debt related to the phone contract. It transpired that they had added costs to the bill after giving him a settlement figure. He had been unaware of this due to us moving and the phone company not having our new address. He ended up with a default on his credit file but the account was not defaulted until 2 years following his last payment to the account. He continues to be chased for this debt. The main point however of my question to yourselves is, should the default be dated from 6 months after the last payment or can a company wait and do it anytime??? If they had done it when the account had actually gone into "default", then it's time limit of 6 years would almost be up. However, because of their delay, he is now stuck with waiting an extra 2 years. Hope I have explained this OK but please let me know if you need any further info.
    Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Time limit for a default to be issued

Hi & Welcome

ok first, send a SAR to the mobile company and try and get the historic notes etc from the time. Template - http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/inde...vanced-request

* edit the request to suit your situation.

then you'd check the info & find evidence of the "agreement". If there are no notes, and whilst you're awaiting the SAR call the mobile provider and explain what you explained above - forget the default, I mean argue that you agreed an amount to settle and then years later you were chased for the same debt. Get THEM to resolve it. Then you argue that there should be no default as this was settled 6+ years ago.

Thats how to deal with this. Keep us updated. We'll guide you along. Last resort, you can utilise the Ombudsman.
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Many thanks for your speedy reply. That sounds like a good plan! I have looked at the SAR template but am not sure what the instructions mean about sending a cheque or postal order??? (Does he need to make it out to the company in question) and when you say he does not have to sign, do you mean not to sign at all or sign just by typing his name and not an actual written signature. Can you explain for me? Also, if it turns out they were right to add extra charges to close account, how will he stand on the timing of the default issue (just out of interest). Sorry to ask stupid questions but not used to dealing with all this
      Last edited by courosedeb; 18 September 2013, 22:46. Reason: Having trouble with me smiley faces lol

Comment

In this instance he is fine signing normally and he needs to send a £10 cheque.

in fact hold fire till tmw and I'll write you a template. Can you clarify the mobile network please and also who did he settle with, the network direct or a debt collector?
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

As for the default; the oft state it should be registered within 6 months of the account going into default. This was clearly 6 months after he stopped paying.

Dont worry about that right now. I presume he's not paid the second amount that he's being chased for has he? Who is now chasing him, ie which DCA?

Comment

Hi, The provider was Three and he settled with them direct. He has not paid anything since that settlement. Not sure what DCA are chasing him....will ask him and get back to you tmw. Thanks again
            Last edited by courosedeb; 18 September 2013, 23:42. Reason: Add info

Comment

Can you clarify when he phoned and settled, the amount paid and the amount currently bring chased for. Then I'll sort you a letter to send 3's CEO

Comment

In any event the charges added over 6 years ago would now be Statute Barred wouldn't they, so unrecoverable?

Comment

How are you hope everything is fine.
                  if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                  X