GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Flood's Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flood's Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flood's Diary

HI all, This forum has been a great read over the last few nights. I was going to wait till the New Year to start in earnest, but had so much inspiration reading the last few nights, here goes.

I am a UK national that has lived in Scotland until February 2011 when I moved to Abu Dhabi for a year or so, I returned to the UK in April, but have now headed out to Dubai for the foreseeable future. I have a wife and 2 kids back in UK on a joint mortgaged house with a secured loan taken out years ago to pay off lots of debts.

Note, my time in Dubai is not spent at brunches by the beach as I am saving like mad to pay the secured loan off as it is at 20% APR or so!

I am now a resident of the UAE, living in Dubai and I am off the voters roll in Scotland. I have 2 joint current accounts with my wife, as well as the joint mortgage/secured loan.

I will list my current debts below that show on my credit report, but may have more once i get home for Christmas.

Hopefully this intro has given all info required to help assist me and hopefully this is the best place for advice on my issues.

Thanks for reading

Flood

Re: Flood's Diary

Type of account : bank account/overdraft with Lloyds TSB

Date commenced: 01/02/2007

Approx balance: £625

Date last paid Shown as defaulted: 26/02/2008

Are you on arrangement or not paying: Not paying.

Account owner (Lloyds TSB on Equifax, but I am not at home to see who last letters were from)

This was from an old bank account that had been hit with overdraft/ bounced DD charges during a period of severe financially difficulty. I was getting hit with many charges each month around the time that most of my other debts were arising, due to defaults as TSB were taking hundreds of pounds a month off me.

I am hoping that the debt will be statute barred in Feb 2013 if my maths is OK.

This entry is shown twice on my credit report, once settled in September 2011 and another still open with LLoyds TSB. Both entries are with Lloyds and not an agency. Is this allowed as it is showing twice, although one is settled?

Comment

Type of account : Credit Card with Capital One ( I think)

Date commenced: 17/08/2004

Approx balance: £644

Date last paid Shown as defaulted: 07/02/2007

Account owner Lowell Portfolia 1 Ltd

This is from a old credit card taken out in 2004 and that I ran into bother with in 2007. I assume that it is statute barred and I am just looking to see what I need to do to inform the creditor. It should drop off my report in March 2013.

Comment

Type of account : Hire Purchase with Bank

Date commenced: 2005/2006 tbc

Approx balance: £626

Date last paid Shown as defaulted: 28/02/2007

Account owner 1st Credit

Hopefully Statute barred as well, and dropping of my Credit Report in March

Comment

Type of account : Hire Purchase

Approx balance: £467

Account owner 1st Credit

Comment

Type of account : Hire Purchase

Approx balance: £330

Account owner 1st Credit

Comment

Type of account : Mobile Phone

Date commenced: 1/11/2007

Approx balance: £189 (default £65??)

Date last paid Shown as defaulted: 21/12/2008

Account owner Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd

Not sure if this one is worth oaying off. It shows balance as £65, but balance at £189. Not sure if I should just try and pay the balance as it has a few years to run before SB and getting removed as a default on my credit report. It is better to be shown as settled? ?

Comment

Type of account : Mobile phone

Date commenced: 13/3/2006 tbc

Approx balance: £115

Date last paid Shown as defaulted: 10/10/2007

Account owner T-Mobile
                ( on Credit report),but I have had letters from DCA before.

Hopefully Statute barred as well, and dropping of my Credit Report in October. Worth making a payment to show as settled?

Comment

Type of account : Hire Purchase (car) Bank of Scotland

Date commenced: 23/3/2006

Approx balance: £3,708

Date last paid Shown as defaulted: 30/4/2008

Account owner Hillesdens, but now looks like Nolans solicitors

This should show at SB in May next year, but I have now had a letter from Nolans who are saying that they are now pursuing debt and that they will take me to court, witha pay up in 7 days letter.

Not sure what to so about CCA's etc as I am outside UK. I do not want my wife to get pursued as I do not think that they can chase me while out of UK??
                  Last edited by stevieb; 11 December 2012, 20:12. Reason: missed a ] out

Comment

Hiya, welcome to the forum, the mods will be along soon (if not already before i click submit), and advise you, but from what i can see (and this is just my opinion)

The ones you believe are statued barred prob are, so long as its 5 years (in scotland) from when you last paid.

2ndly, its very unlikely the mobile phones will remove the default even if you pay it off, it will just be marked settled.

and lastly, you can have two defaults one marked settled, it would indicate that the debt was sold on if it was between the bank and a DCA.

How long will you be in dubai for? even in worst case these debts get a CCJ before being statue barred, would it matter if the move was perminant?

Someone else would advise you whether sending a letter explaining the debt is statued barred or just continue to ignore em would be the best action.
                    Last edited by SXGuy; 11 December 2012, 19:25.
                    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Should any dcas contact you with regards to a SB account, there is a template to send them Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | Statute Barred - Scotland (5 years)
                      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post

How long will you be in dubai for? even in worst case these debts get a CCJ before being statue barred, would it matter if the move was perminant?
                        The trouble with the Middle East is that it is all short term. You cannot really put any faith in duration. I would just like to clear my feet and move on, in case I come back.

I have had on and off debt problems for probably 16 years or so. I just see a bit of light at the end...

Comment

Originally posted by flood View Post
                          [B]Type of account : Hire Purchase (car) Bank of Scotland

Date commenced: 23/3/2006

Approx balance: £3,708

Date last paid Shown as defaulted: 30/4/2008

Account owner Hillesdens, but now looks like Nolans solicitors[/B

This should show at SB in May next year, but I have now had a letter from Nolans who are saying that they are now pursuing debt and that they will take me to court, witha pay up in 7 days letter.

Not sure what to so about CCA's etc as I am outside UK. I do not want my wife to get pursued as I do not think that they can chase me while out of UK??
                          Hi and welcome,

Unless this account was joint with your wife they can't chase her in your absence instead. As SXGuy says, if you plan on this move being permanent then would any of this matter?

If you intend to come back sometime in the future then the accounts that become SB should have long dropped off your file.

If I were in your position I'd be sending off a CCA request pronto. You could possibly delay this one until it becomes SB.
                          Last edited by oldyboy; 11 December 2012, 20:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixie View Post
                            Should any dcas contact you with regards to a SB account, there is a template to send them Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | Statute Barred - Scotland (5 years)
                            Thanks, will get on it tomorrow night. Its late here!

In the bit for account number, what do I put in if i do not know the account number? The credit report always misses that out?

I assume that if I send off and here nothing, in Scotland although the statute barred is 5 years the default stays on for 6? Is that from first missed payment or the default date? As I have read different dates mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by oldyboy View Post
                              Hi and welcome,

Unless this account was joint with your wife they can't chase her in your absence instead. As SXGuy says, if you plan on this move being permanent then would any of this matter?
                              Thanks,
                              If they knew I was a non UK resident would they bother pursuing though? They would be spending money with no result as I do not think that CCJ's are enforceable out of EU?

Assuming of course that they could not chase my wife or my house.

Comment

Working...
                              X