GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Fresh start - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fresh start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh start

I went to live overseas just before my 30th birthday i'm now 37 i must admit i left some debt. I came back to this country over a month ago due to my dads death and i'm staying at my mums. She's wanting me to stay longterm as i'm her only child. If i do i need to get a new job a bank account etc thats the background

my question is ive used a service called trust online which searches for ccj on my last previous address and the one even before that both have come up as clean no ccj. Does this mean no ccj were issued or just that its fallen off the register. I've tried to get my credit file online but it needs a bank card in my name which i don't have. I've also been told to pay 2 pounds to get it sent to me but as i'm not on the electoral register i assume they would want further documentation like a bank statement or utility bill. which i don't have.

how do you get your credit file without any of this information ?

Thanks

Re: Fresh start

Hi Older Wiser and welcome

Sorry not sure about the credit file as when I have sent off for mine I paid the £2 on line - but if you hold on I am sure somone will be able to help you .

Good luck

Comment

Thanks for the reply LooLoo I think I can use any debit card as long as it's registered to the house. My problem would be if I'm not on the electoral register they will probably ask for bank statement utility bill which I don't have. I've used trust online to search and no Ccjs have been found I'm just thinking they may have fallen off after the six year period. I didn't think it would be so hard to get my credit file.

Comment

Hiya, firstly if you want a bank account get a simple one like Co-op and you will need passport-- D/L and some sort of bill which is the issue at the moment I realise.

yes chances are 6 years has passed they have tried to chase you and its no longer an issue.

You can write to Experian and request your CF

Comment

Originally posted by Older.wiser View Post
          I went to live overseas just before my 30th birthday i'm now 37 i must admit i left some debt. I came back to this country over a month ago due to my dads death and i'm staying at my mums. She's wanting me to stay longterm as i'm her only child. If i do i need to get a new job a bank account etc thats the background

my question is ive used a service called trust online which searches for ccj on my last previous address and the one even before that both have come up as clean no ccj. Does this mean no ccj were issued or just that its fallen off the register. I've tried to get my credit file online but it needs a bank card in my name which i don't have. I've also been told to pay 2 pounds to get it sent to me but as i'm not on the electoral register i assume they would want further documentation like a bank statement or utility bill. which i don't have.

how do you get your credit file without any of this information ?

Thanks
          Well done, you're now whats known as ready to climb the credit ladder - get yourself on the electoral register first and foremost then consider opening a bank account..... basically everything from before, is now gone and you're free to start again.

Well done - info to help is here: ---> How to get back onto the Credit Ladder

Linky to get on voters roll is here: ---> Register on the Electoral Register
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for helping me out with my new/old username never in doubt.

So to update I sent my form off to council to be added to the register. I should be added according to the council by the 27th April. Whats my next step. Mums wih the Halifax but I'm not sure if they do a basic bank account. Anyone recommend a good basic one to start me off.

Comment

I found Halifax easy to get but that was 7 years ago.

Coop ive heard is easy to get

Comment

You should be able to get a basic account with the Co-op.

I got mine a year ago and I've been very happy with it (apart from not being able to use the debit card at Asda's self-service petrol pumps.)
                Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I think someone's mentioned the cashminder before and I've read the post on the sub prime board about starting afresh. Is the cashminder still the electron ? What other restrictions how about hotel reservation. Any other basic accounts that has full debit card or do they all use electrons. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Older.wiser View Post
                    I think someone's mentioned the cashminder before and I've read the post on the sub prime board about starting afresh. Is the cashminder still the electron ? What other restrictions how about hotel reservation. Any other basic accounts that has full debit card or do they all use electrons. Cheers
                    The Cashminder is a visa debit card. Only Santander & HBOS issue Electron.
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by pixie View Post
                      You should be able to get a basic account with the Co-op.

I got mine a year ago and I've been very happy with it (apart from not being able to use the debit card at Asda's self-service petrol pumps.)
                      That is because all banks that issue visa debit (online cards) instead of Electron must be authorised at POS. Therefore these types of card will decline/reject at petrol pay at pumps; planes and onboard trains as all these are offline facilities which only a full bank account (or offline cards) offer. That is to stop you going overdrawn, naturally.

For instance, at Tesco pay at pump, they request a £1 authorisation - so if you're skint, and have a full bank account or credit card, that has £1 left in it - you'll be able to exceed your limit by using it at a pay at pump etc - with basic accounts they cannot allow this so they restrict the card.

You'll find it is only planes, trains and pay at pumps that refuse these "online cards". The online card is a direct replacement for Electron.

Hope that helps to explain them....

Comment

Older wiser you mentioned hotels. I was ok using my co-op cash minder card to reserve the hotel - the problem arises when you check in - normally they take a swipe of your credit card in case you do a runner they can then charge that amount to your credit card. If you only have a debit card they they will normally take a deposit off it - last time we went they took £250 off of Mr Looloo's debit card - then we paid using hotel vouchers so they just refunded the money back on his card.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                          That is because all banks that issue visa debit (online cards) instead of Electron must be authorised at POS. Therefore these types of card will decline/reject at petrol pay at pumps; planes and onboard trains as all these are offline facilities which only a full bank account (or offline cards) offer. That is to stop you going overdrawn, naturally.

For instance, at Tesco pay at pump, they request a £1 authorisation - so if you're skint, and have a full bank account or credit card, that has £1 left in it - you'll be able to exceed your limit by using it at a pay at pump etc - with basic accounts they cannot allow this so they restrict the card.

You'll find it is only planes, trains and pay at pumps that refuse these "online cards". The online card is a direct replacement for Electron.

Hope that helps to explain them....
                          Thanks for that - that makes it 100% clear now to me - I was wondering about the plane thing and now i know!

Comment

Originally posted by LooLoo View Post
                            Thanks for that - that makes it 100% clear now to me - I was wondering about the plane thing and now i know!

Easy way to figure it out; they can't actually dial down to earth for authorisation at 50,000 feet can they

Similarly with trains, as they move at high speed the connection is not static enough to dial up for authorisation so the PDQ (hand held machine) stores the pre-swiped card data and when the user plugs it in at HQ (on a pooter) the data will then be authorised at that time....

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

Actually, I have no problem using it at Tesco pay at pump, just Asda.
                              Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Working...
                              X