GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script PPI cover from Legal & General ????? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PPI cover from Legal & General ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPI cover from Legal & General ?????

As we are now struggling with the monthly bills, i decided to ask the bank for a list of direct debits going out.

I noticed a 2 payments going out to Legal & General every month and decided to phone them to find out what they were.

The one i knew about and it was for mortgage death protection, but when i queried the other one they told me it was for PPI for sickness, accident and unemployment.

I said to the woman I did not realise I even had a policy for this as I may have claimed when my wife was off work from Nov 2010 to Aug 2011 due to spinal problems.

She said it was possibly too far past her sickness date to do anything about it but she would send a claim form out anyway (this was 31st Jan)

We recieved this today and it says that people have to be off work for at least 180 days to qualify for any claims. and then they would only pay the time off after this so as my wife was off for 9 months they would only pay 3-4 months anyway.

My question is this, I did not know about this policy and only found out due to me checking direct debits (it appears this has been going since around 2000)if I did might have claimed but if I knew about any policy at the time, which i did not, I would never have taken out a policy that you have to be sick for over 6 months to qualify for a claim anyway.

Does anyone think I may have a claim for mis-selling, as I did not know about the policy, did not know we had to have at least 6 months on the sick and I also had full pay from my employer for 12 months anyway, so I believe the policy was useless.

I am seriously thinking of sending a claim into them for the money I have paid all these years without knowing. Does anyone know what Legal & General are like about reclaims. I already have a reclaim in progress against RBS for misold PPI on a loan.

best
    M
    Last edited by mjr001; 1 February 2012, 15:12.

Re: PPI cover from Legal & General ?????

Originally posted by mjr001 View Post
    As we are now struggling with the monthly bills, i decided to ask the bank for a list of direct debits going out.

I noticed a 2 payments going out to Legal & General every month and decided to phone them to find out what they were.

The one i knew about and it was for mortgage death protection, but when i queried the other one they told me it was for PPI for sickness, accident and unemployment.

I said to the woman I did not realise I even had a policy for this as I may have claimed when my wife was off work from Nov 2010 to Aug 2011 due to spinal problems.

She said it was possibly too far past her sickness date to do anything about it but she would send a claim form out anyway (this was 31st Jan)

We recieved this today and it says that people have to be off work for at least 180 days to qualify for any claims. and then they would only pay the time off after this so as my wife was off for 9 months they would only pay 3-4 months anyway.

My question is this, I did not know about this policy and only found out due to me checking direct debits (it appears this has been going since around 2000)if I did might have claimed but if I knew about any policy at the time, which i did not, I would never have taken out a policy that you have to be sick for over 6 months to qualify for a claim anyway.

Does anyone think I may have a claim for mis-selling, as I did not know about the policy, did not know we had to have at least 6 months on the sick and I also had full pay from my employer for 12 months anyway, so I believe the policy was useless.

I am seriously thinking of sending a claim into them for the money I have paid all these years without knowing. Does anyone know what Legal & General are like about reclaims. I already have a reclaim in progress against RBS for misold PPI on a loan.

best
    M

Hiya M

I believe you have a case here, the fact that if you "did" know you had PPI then you would have put in a claim when required for sickness.

I have no experience with Legal & General, but I expect they have received many complaints just like other businesses that were involved in selling PPI products.

You need to make it clear that if you were aware you were paying for the PPI, then a claim would have been made when your wife was absent from work with sickness.
    You could also make a point, that you had only just found out about this when you questioned this on the telephone just recently, give the date, as they should record telephone calls, this would also be proof you can use if you had to, but hopefully it will be all straight forward with the reasons you have.

Also add details that "you" would have been protected by your employer, so believe the policy is/was worthless to you.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by di30; 1 February 2012, 16:37. Reason: grammer

Comment

If your complaint is with:

Legal & General Assurance Society

Please write to us at:
      Legal & General Assurance Society Limited
      City Park
      The Droveway
      Hove
      BN3 7PY

Comment

I have now sent off the letter and FOS questionaire to Legal & General, with a hope they give back the money that was taken.

My question is that if I now cancel the Direct Debit, does it make any difference to my reclaim at all.

On The FOS questionaire i put the payments were still being made, which they were when I sent this and the letter yesterday to Legal & General, but as this policy was not known about and worthless can I now cancel the DD without it affecting my reclaim.

best
        M

Comment

I have now sent off the letter and FOS questionaire to Legal & General, with a hope they give back the money that was taken.

My question is that if I now cancel the Direct Debit, does it make any difference to my reclaim at all.

On The FOS questionaire i put the payments were still being made, which they were when I sent this and the letter yesterday to Legal & General, but as this policy was not known about and worthless can I now cancel the DD without it affecting my reclaim.

best
          M

Hiya

You have the right to cancel the policy at any time, like any other insurance, and it should not make any difference at all to your complaint, however, I understand they should also cancel this when the case is resolved, but it's always best to request they cancel in writing just to make sure its done, as it's worthless to you anyway.

Comment

quick update, sent the PPI claim letter in. Received a letter taday saying they will make a descision by 02/04

We shall see.

Comment

quick update, sent the PPI claim letter in. Received a letter taday saying they will make a descision by 02/04

We shall see.
              The best of luck x

Comment

We shall see.

Good Luck - They will most likely reject you & try to fob you off.

I have had a long running battle with them and found them very difficult,dismissive and rude.

They rejected my claim,then the FOS Adjudictaors decision (who found in my favour) so had to wait for an Ombudsman to have a look at it which took over a year.

He found in my favour and has told them to pay up - waiting to see how much.

Moral of the story - keep on fighting!

Matty

Comment

I hope they don't give me the run around. They will surely be fighting a losing battle. With my wife being on the sick for 9 months and me not claiming because I did not know about the policy is surely proof enough for them to pay up.

I also put a claim in a month earlier than these with Rbs bank over a loan, which I thought from the start had a slim chance if any of getting a refund. But they just offered nearly 4k after I sent them one letter

M

Comment

Quick update, today received an A4 pack from these idiots, with paperwork from when I took out my mortgage, about the mortgage offer, etc, etc along with letters from the financial advisor who did the mortgage and cover in 2004.

it says in the letter from the mortgage advisor in 2004 that cover was taken out for death benefit from Legal & General (Which I know about, and I am still paying for) but the unemployment one (which is the one I put in the claim for) was declined as I did not want it (which is what I thought). All good so far :-)

There is then a letter which was supposadly sent to me a couple of months later in 2004 from the financial advisor saying I phoned them and asked for the cover for unemployment to be added (This is news to me) and they are not witholding my claim with them, then goes on to say about financial services ombudsman if i am not happy with their descision. Also says" I have given you my personal direct phone number if you wish to discuss anyhting with me).

My question is, where do i go from here, do I now just send the ombudsman questionaire to the ombudsman (The one I filled in and sent a copy of to Legal & General in the first place)

Is there any sort of reply that someone could word correctly to send back to these morons, maybe about financial hardship. My mother passed away on Feb 5th and i still have not paid anything towards the cost of her funeral, could someone maybe write me a template sort of letter with which I could send them back ??

regards
                    M
                    Last edited by mjr001; 24 March 2012, 12:13.

Comment

Quick update, today received an A4 pack from these idiots, with paperwork from when I took out my mortgage, about the mortgage offer, etc, etc along with letters from the financial advisor who did the mortgage and cover in 2004.

it says in the letter from the mortgage advisor in 2004 that cover was taken out for death benefit from Legal & General (Which I know about, and I am still paying for) but the unemployment one (which is the one I put in the claim for) was declined as I did not want it (which is what I thought). All good so far :-)

There is then a letter which was supposadly sent to me a couple of months later in 2004 from the financial advisor saying I phoned them and asked for the cover for unemployment to be added (This is news to me) and they are not witholding my claim with them, then goes on to say about financial services ombudsman if i am not happy with their descision. Also says" I have given you my personal direct phone number if you wish to discuss anyhting with me).

My question is, where do i go from here, do I now just send the ombudsman questionaire to the ombudsman (The one I filled in and sent a copy of to Legal & General in the first place)

Is there any sort of reply that someone could word correctly to send back to these morons, maybe about financial hardship. My mother passed away on Feb 5th and i still have not paid anything towards the cost of her funeral, could someone maybe write me a template sort of letter with which I could send them back ??

regards
                      M

Hi there

At first I would write back and tell them you do not agree with the decision they made, and want them to reconsider your complaint, because you have genuine grounds to make a complaint and a reclaim on your PPI.

I would then ask them to provide you with concrete evidence they have - on how they came to the conclusion of the phone call you supposedly had made to ask about adding the Insurance as you do not believe that is correct, so are now asking them to provide you with the evidence they have to prove this and on why they rejected your complaint.

Ask them to write to let you know within 14 days if they will be reviewing your complaint, and confirm if you hear nothing by then or if they do not change the decision you will be taking matters further.

(They should enclose details of the FOS) and let you know the eligibility - if your able to complain to the FOS or not with an enclosed leaflet. (In the final decision).

So sorry of the sad loss of your mum too, my thoughts are with you x

If you do end up making a complaint to the FOS, I would ask them to consider dealing with your complaint by fast tracking, with your circumstances as you posted above.

Hope this helps, but keep at them.

Good luck x

Comment

mjr001

I agree with Di - Make them to prove it - Ask for recordings of the allgeded telephone conversation and prove of posting / delivery of the letter(s).
                        Deny ever making / taking such a phone call or receiving any letter from them.
                        I would go as far as to accuse them / the broker of making it up.

Matty

Comment

Originally posted by MattyA View Post
                          mjr001

I agree with Di - Make them to prove it - Ask for recordings of the allgeded telephone conversation and prove of posting / delivery of the letter(s).

Matty
                          Sorry for the delay in responding, I wrote Legal & General another letter basically saying the above, they responded saying the same sort of crap as their first letter and it was their final response. If I did not like it - take it further.

So I sent all paperwork, letters sent and received to the FOS and had a reply saying they are looking into it, but could take in excess of 12 months. Oh joy of joys

Mark

Comment

I would ask them for a copy of the new application or health dec that you would normally have had to be complete to add the benefit.

Also you could ask for a copy of the financial advisers file, again because you normally can't just add extra benfits like that, after the date of issue!!!

This all seems very strange to me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MattyA View Post
                              mjr001

Matty
                              I doubt that the broker will have a copy of the phone call, in fact I dont know any small brokers that do that, as for calling the broker a liar , be a little careful in that you are accusing the guy of fraud. If it's true the guy should be bared , but if it's a case of ones recollection changing to fit the facts you want now it's not really fair!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X