GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Getting credit with old creditors query - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting credit with old creditors query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting credit with old creditors query

Hi - I ran away from alot of debt many moons ago and its all statue barred - I've even successfully fought of some old debt collectors.

My credit report is clean, positive all accept the lack of any credit accounts.

So I tried to get a simple credit card to help build up my credit file - No luck , probably due to being only on electoral roll for 8 months.

My wife has a perfect credit report and two credit cards - so I am thinking of adding my name to one...

But, both cards are with companies I owed money to in the past , do you think I can do this?

Re: Getting credit with old creditors query

Who have you tried getting credit with? Vanquis, though high interest rates, if you pay back full amount and don't accrue charges can be a useful tool.
    alternatively, you can get credit with some eg Cap 1 even if you have defaulted in the past.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

An interesting question...but one I don't know the answer to.

I don't think there's anything to stop you trying.
      Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

You need to remember a company may retain your data long after default removal. Lloyds routinely retain a customers data for 12 years whilst Barclays do for 3 years since last activity (ie day default drops off).

So although they cannot try and take (offset) from any new account they might use historical data to decline you.

You our need to start with cap1/Vanquis.

If they say no stop applying. There must be another reason, could be ER omission / n hunter data / CIFAS. Etc
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I thought the OP meant they'd tried for a card like Vanquis when they said they'd applied for a simple credit card.
          Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

Comment

Op also suggested being added as a second card holder to his other halves credit cards. I cant see a problem with this in theory since ultimately your other half will still be responsible for the debt. That being said, I wouldn't advice that they take out credit for you, if you find you cant repay it.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post

You our need to start with cap1/Vanquis.

If they say no stop applying. There must be another reason, could be ER omission / n hunter data / CIFAS. Etc
              I applied for Cap 1 and was declined and Aquacard and declined, waiting for reply from Vanquis.

I think there is something wrong with my ER details. I had to get Equifax to manually amend my record and I can't get a report from Call Credit online as they can't find my name against
              my address. Just had ER yearly review through the post and I am on there. Something is a miss here.

On a plus side, Halifax gave me an over draft and they offered me a loan at a silly APR.

I don't actually need credit, not in any debt, pay all bills etc etc.

Comment

Working...
              X