GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script being chased for a debt i dont owe. - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

being chased for a debt i dont owe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being chased for a debt i dont owe.

Hi - I'm currently being chased by a debt collection agency for a debt i dont think i owe.
    a number of years ago i got into serious financial difficulty and racked up nearly £20k of debts in the shape of credit cards, store cards and loans. I decided to try and sort it out and contacted the consumer credit counseling service. on their instructions i contacted all of my creditors and obtained final settlement figures The CCCS then took over management of my finances and, after 5 hard years, i finally became debt free in march 2011..... or so i thought. Earlier this year i was contacted by a company called Fredriksons who informed me that i owed over £4600 on an outstanding loan from EGG. I wrote back informing them that i had ben given a settlement figure by EGG and paid the loan off with the aid of the CCCS - I included a copy my final CCCS statement showing the zero balance and asked them to send me a complete set of statements and payment history from EGG proving the alleged debt. This seemed to do the trick and i heard nothing from Fredriksons again. However, I have since received a demand for the same debt from Arrow Global (apparently Fredriksons were acting on their behalf). I went through the same process - wrote to Arrow with proof of paying the debt and asked for a complete statement and payment history proving the alleged debt. Arrow have written back and are refusing to send this proof unless i send them proof of all of my previous addresses over the last eight years - they cite the Data Protection Act as requiring this. I cannot provide the documentary proof they want as i dont have it. It seems we're a an impasse.

What do I do now?

As far as Im concerned, I've paid back the amount that i was told i owed. I have provided proof of this to all concerned.

What can Arrow actually do to me? am i likely to star receiving bailiffs visits or court summons?

I've tried contacting EGG directly but they no longer exist. I've tried Barclaycard, who took them over, but they have no record of me on their system.

What really annoys is that sine the CCCS took on my debt and paid it, i have never received any communication from EGG or BarclayCard saying i hadnt paid enough. I just started receiving the debt collection letters a year after the debt was paid.

If it turns out that i was given the wrong settlement figure, then what are my rights? Im assuming id have to pay the balance, but im not prepared to do that until i get proof of the alleged debt.

Any advice or insights would be massively appreciated!!
    Last edited by badgerdogg; 26 May 2012, 22:51.

Re: being chased for a debt i dont owe.

Hi mate, I'm sure Niddy will be along shortly but for the time being it looks as if your being hit on by another bunch of chancers.

If they won't talk to you until you give them previous addresses then you can tell them that if they were sure enough about your identity in the first place to contact you, then there would be no reason for them not to comply with your request.

Someone here will be able to quote chapter and verse, but all these DCA's are in trouble if they contact someone without first checking their identity.

It seems to me like they are fishing. Even if this was something overlooked by CCCS there are many other options open to you and I am sure Arrow know this.

So don't fret over it. I think that bailiffs visits and summons are off the agenda. Besides If as you say you have the paperwork from CCCS that proves the debt is cleared it would never get to court.

Regards, Handy
    Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
    Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdogg View Post
      What do I do now?
      Nothing, sit tight and keep us updated with any letters Arrow or their plebs send you....

As far as Im concerned, I've paid back the amount that i was told i owed. I have provided proof of this to all concerned.
      I agree, this all adds up however assuming you missed Egg from the DMP (unlikely as you say they've been quiet for over 5yrs) then obviously it'd still be owed, however maybe not as it may well be statute barred which explains why Arrow is chancing their luck.

What can Arrow actually do to me? am i likely to star receiving bailiffs visits or court summons?
      Nothing - they have to prove you owe the debt, you do not have to prove that you do not owe it. The onus is on the collection agent, however we can easily put a stop to this nonsense.... see below

I've tried contacting EGG directly but they no longer exist. I've tried Barclaycard, who took them over, but they have no record of me on their system.
      Save energy, it's dead with Barclays/Egg - sold to Arrow whatever.

What really annoys is that sine the CCCS took on my debt and paid it, i have never received any communication from EGG or BarclayCard saying i hadnt paid enough. I just started receiving the debt collection letters a year after the debt was paid.
      Quite right, that's cos you probably have paid it. Confusingly, you may have paid it direct to Egg via CCCS yet Egg already sold the rights to the debt, you never know but in any case - don't worry

If it turns out that i was given the wrong settlement figure, then what are my rights? Im assuming id have to pay the balance, but im not prepared to do that until i get proof of the alleged debt.
      Ahh, that's where it all changes - BUT why have they not then been in touch for over 5yrs? Listen mate, stop worrying, stop speaking to these plebs on the phone and stop getting wound up - from now YOU take control - start by sending this to Arrow, it is self explanitory - do not edit or amend anything other than the bits you're meant to as described within the template and whatever you do, DO NOT send them any ID nor your 'actual' signature!

---> Our Templates | Harassment & Intimidation Templates | You know nothing of the Debt / Prove It

Good luck, keep us updated
      I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Hello and welcome, you might recognise my username ( I am so unoriginal) . As Niddy says keep us updated , I scan letters and thing but remove all my personal details then post on here
        User Guide - How Do I add Attachments to my Message?

Someone will always come and give advice really quickly, and they have even sorted me out
        Good luck
        Jon

Comment

Gentlemen ..... thank you for your advice and support! very much appreciated!

I'll download the letter and send it off to Arrow tomorrow - I'll let you know what their response is.

Cheers

Gary

Comment

Just a couple of quick thoughts -

you say dont send them any letter that's been signed with my actual signature.... unfortunately, I've already done that. before i joined this forum I'd written to Arrow and Fredriksons with copies of my final CCCS statement proving all my debts were cleared - and i signed those letters - does that cause a problem?

I definitely didn't miss EGG from the DMP as I have proof on my CCCS final statement that I paid the amount I was told I was owed... I think its likely that I was given an incorrect settlement figure by EGG.

The EGG Loan that's in dispute was a consolidating loan paying off a maxed out EGG credit card..... both the original card and the loan had PPI attached to them - I'm thinking of trying to reclaim the PPI on both - do you think this is a good idea? Not sure who to make the claim against, as EGG no longer exist.

cheers

Comment

Well don't sign from now

New start. Yea?

It's paid so send the prove it template and sign with fancy pc font on word
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Personally I would take one issue at a time. Get this sorted first, and then address any issues re ppi if you are able to. Di30 is the ppi expert on here, so if / when the time comes, she'll be the one to help you, but in the meantime concentrate on sorting this out.

It is not something I would be worrying about very much.

Comment

ps don't reclaim yet. Plus if the dmp reduced a larger debt; paid or not they will offset as you still owe them even though they'll never chase you; if you were say daft enough to chuck a grand into your old current account and they did a dmp on an old loan; they'd offset that grand.

If the rights were sold in totality (absolute assignment) then yea a reclaim is ideal.

Its sometimes best to walk away however if this debt is yours (say the loan and card never got merged for example) then we can try offset debt for ppi.

Send letter and do nothing else just yet.

Comment

I'd say yes as worst case scenario is a no go. Nothing bad can come from trying the reclaim route
                    I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

Originally posted by kilasuit View Post
                      I'd say yes as worst case scenario is a no go. Nothing bad can come from trying the reclaim route
                      See my last post. Strongly not advised

Comment

100% agree with Niddy. A reclaim of ppi should be the last thing you look at doing just yet. Get this sorted first, the ppi will take care of itself one way or another.

Comment

Wow! Super quick answers! thanks again!

Niddy - Thank You, I'll send the letter tomorrow - digitally signed - and leave the PPI for now

I'm really glad I've found this site - Its so nice to know that there's people like you guys on my side

Cheers One and All!

Comment

But yeah as noddy says the ideal would be that there isn't any issues with a reclaim BUT there is always the offset rights for all the banks etc

As Bboo says though tackle 1 thing at a time though
                            I am an IT Professional with a Background in most Microsoft Based Technologies. Currently Proud to Work at one of the Leading UK Universities. I have that Mentality of "If I can provide Useful Input - then I will Try my best to do so"

Life is full of Ups and Downs. Shame it just aint simple.

Comment

I'll bloody noddy you

Comment

Working...
                              X