GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script DCA won't let me pay by standing order - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DCA won't let me pay by standing order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA won't let me pay by standing order

I've a credit card debt with Regal Credit Consultants - its post April 2007 - so concentrating on the pre-2007 ones first. I've got the payment agreed to a level I can afford and its always paid on time.

But.....they take the payment using the bank card for my bank account. I am closing this bank account and want to pay from another account but by standing order. They refuse. They have a link on their website to request a standing order form but when you request it they call you and say no!

Any advise - I'm sure this can't be fair as long as I pay the right amount and on time surely I can pay how I like?!

Re: DCA won't let me pay by standing order

Im not an expert, and some mods may give you better advise, but as far as i am aware they have no choice but to accept any form of reconised payment.

Most will wish you to pay by direct debit, i hate that idea, as you have no control, however with a standing order you are the one in control, which is why they refuse, as you could cancel the payment whenever you wish.

My advise would be to remind them that they can not refuse a method of payment if it is a legal method, something a long those lines.

If worst comes to worst, i guess you could ask for their bank details, pay it in directly, using a reference that signifies the money is from you.

Infact if it was me, id refuse to pay until they accept the standing order, what they gonna do? take you to court, sorry your honour but i offered to pay, they refused to accept the standing order, nothing i could do about it lol
    Last edited by SXGuy; 30 January 2012, 09:15.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Mal, I agree with the post above by SXGuy.

They don't like standing order as they do not control the funds transfer, you do! Put pressure on them to accept your chosen payment method, and if they refuse, escalate the complaint.

They really do make some ridiculous statements and it makes my blood boil!
      If happy little bluebirds fly, beyond the rainbow, why, oh why can't I?

sigpic

Comment

No worries - will be drafting a letter today.......here goes!!!!

Comment

Hmm had the same with one of my creditors before I decided on bankruptcy....they insisted on standing orders & in the end they had to take whatever way of payment I desired

Good luck

Comment

Hi Malamute

What

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            Infact if it was me, id refuse to pay until they accept the standing order, what they gonna do? take you to court, sorry your honour but i offered to pay, they refused to accept the standing order, nothing i could do about it lol
            I have got to agree with SXGuy

I would not send a long letter, remember these are DCA's we are dealing with here.

Maybe something along the lines of

Please send me your bank details so that I can set up a S/O to pay the agreed sum of £xx.xx per month.

Until I have these details I will be unable to start my monthly payments.

Please send me the details within 14 days.

Sent it recorded and if they start to hassle you again, just keep sending it every month.

MK
            One day at a time, with £34K of UE debt

LloydsTSB - For the (UE) journey NatWest/RBS Mint - (Un)Helpful banking
            Marbles - they lost 'em - and my CCA, what a shame

Comment

Originally posted by malamute View Post
              I've a credit card debt with Regal Credit Consultants - its post April 2007 - so concentrating on the pre-2007 ones first. I've got the payment agreed to a level I can afford and its always paid on time.

But.....they take the payment using the bank card for my bank account. I am closing this bank account and want to pay from another account but by standing order. They refuse. They have a link on their website to request a standing order form but when you request it they call you and say no!

Any advise - I'm sure this can't be fair as long as I pay the right amount and on time surely I can pay how I like?!
              Hi,
              Pay all my creditors via intenet banking simple and easy 2nd of the month or just before no hassle no one refuses and I am in control.
              Hope they accept your payments whatever way you decide. (and they will)

Comment

Originally posted by mk_chatham View Post
                Maybe something along the lines of

Please send me your bank details so that I can set up a S/O to pay the agreed sum of £xx.xx per month.

Until I have these details I will be unable to start my monthly payments.

Please send me the details within 14 days.

Sent it recorded and if they start to hassle you again, just keep sending it every month.

MK
                Yup that letter is perfect. Short and to the point. You do not need to enter into any detailed dialogue. They refuse to provide the information, they are refusing to take a payment.

Once they do this report them to the OFT.

They are refusing your SO as before they had your bank card details, which meant they could take whatever they want whenever they want.

When you close this account and set up your new one NEVER give the new details out to any DCA under ANY circumstances.

But you knew that right

Best

SnV
                "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

BTW - just thought I'd add ALL the creditors (17 of them) on my DMP are accepting payment by standing order, even though some of them 'claimed' they didn't support this method.

Keep plugging away at them - they'll soon change their tune when they money isn't coming in!
                  "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

Comment

I pay all mine via online banking using the faster payments method even a court order payable to a claimants solicitor.

Never had any issues, soon as my funds go in I faster payment the lot job done and over for another month and I am in complete control.

Comment

It's also strictly against the banking code of business regulations. Although, I'm not sure if it applies to dca's as they are not banks. It would come under unfair practice though.

Pay how you want and tell them to get stuffed........
                      -----------------------------------------------

Happiness, is screwing over a DCA.......

Comment

I have been told this before. MBNA were ALWAYS telling people a SO was a no go.

If you know the sort code and account number, and your reference number - for example with a credit card its the 16 digit number, it might be easier to just set it up.

If they call/write and say its not possible, ask them to return the payments made by standing order! - that usually keeps them quiet. The only reason the dont like Standing orders is due to (apparent) administration costs
                        Last edited by oscar; 30 January 2012, 18:49.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                          I have been told this before. MBNA were ALWAYS telling people a SO was a no go.

If you know the sort code and account number, and your reference number - for example with a credit card its the 16 digit number, it might be easier to just set it up.

If they call/write and say its not possible, ask them to return the payments made by standing order! - that usually keeps them quiet. The only reason the dont like Standing orders is due to (apparent) administration costs
                          Plus they do not have control over how much they can take and how not just the financial sector but business in general love to do exactly that, payday lenders a prime example.

Comment

Feeling well and truly reassured (what else do I expect on here )

Will update as to my response.....

Comment

Originally posted by malamute View Post
                              Feeling well and truly reassured (what else do I expect on here )

Will update as to my response.....
                              Hi Malamute

If they refuse to provide their bank details to allow payment via standing order they are in breach of OFT guidelines.

Once you have that refusal in writing, you have evidence of unreasonable behaviour, keep it and file it to use at a later date if needed.

You then write back to them, and state, since their unreasonable refusal to provide their bank details to allow you to set up a SO all future payments will be sent by postal order. You will reduce the monthly payment by £x to cover the postal order costs.

Inform them that if they wish to provide their bank details at a future date you would be happy to set up the automatic monthly payment.

Stick to your guns and they should back down.

SnV

Comment

Working...
                              X