GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What OS (Operating System) do you use? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What OS (Operating System) do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What OS (Operating System) do you use?

I have used Window$ since Win95 came out and last used XP Pro.
    That was up until last October, when I was persuaded to try Ubuntu (linux). I was going to upgrade to a new PC, Win7 along with a bigger, faster system.

Until I tried Ubuntu, I instantly saved myself £1,200.
    I last upgraded my system in 2006 and the tower alone cost me £400. With XP I was unable to use the 64bit processor (XP is only 32bit) and due to that, only able to have 3Gb RAM, now I can use the processor to it's 64bit capability and upgrade to 8Gb RAM.

Now, under Ubuntu, it's even better, I can upgrade my processor to a Phenom III and with that, I can upgrade my memory to 64Gb RAM. Yeah, that may be upgrading the system in the end but isn’t that better than spending what I would have spent in the first place.
    I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Re: What OS (Operating System) do you use?

Rizzle will love this!

I'm a win7 kinda guy. Nice n stable - am busy enough without pc bug solving
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
      Rizzle will love this!

I'm a win7 kinda guy. Nice n stable - am busy enough without pc bug solving
      Its not as bad as you think. It's not all CLI based, it's windows based - just like MS Window$.

You <can> install programs using CLI aka 'Terminal' or use (For my OS) 'Ubuntu Software Centre' and that installs the program for you and because 99% of the programs are from there, they are 100% safe from viruses, even the remaining 1% not in there is still safe. Theres not even any need for a firewall.

Yes, I will admit, it <IS> daunting at first but you get used to it. Mind you, saying that, I have been using computers since I was 12 way back in the days of the ZX-81 .

I’ve taught myself Assembly Language (6502) on the Commodore C-16 and later in '92-'93 City & Guilds in 'C' & 'COBOL' level 2 and IT. Never got anywhere in learning programming with Windows as the programming SW was way outa my price range, now with linux (Ubuntu) there’s Python.

Which brings me onto another advantage of linux... the software is FREE, hell... if you wanted to, you could run a dual boot with 2 OS's, a linux distro and a windows one or if you want, run Ubuntu and instal WINE (it enables you to install certain Window$ software) for those who cant completely make the break from Window$ or cant find a similar program under your chosen linux disrto.
      I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

To be honest, i like using win7 and ubuntu.

For a start, ubuntu with a few tweeks lets you surf annonymous and thus enter the .onion networks.

Niddy is right about win7, i dont think ive had one fatal error since i got it with my laptop, i must say i kinda miss the blue screen of death now lol

I love ubuntu simply because its got me out of scrapes more times than i can think, it has ntfs mount support, so when windows wont load for whatever reason, bung an ubuntu live cd in, boot it up, mount the drive and transfer files.

Or better yet, repair the drive and your good to go, with windows, you need various programs to run at boot and various function combinations and thing of course crossing your fingers hoping it works.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

k/ubuntu here.

Got to admit that I hate the default Unity desktop on ubuntu, and am used to KDE being an ex Mandriva/MDK user.

As said, it's not really hard to use or get used to. Just a bit of a "shift" that is all. If I remember correctly someone did a blind survey getting random people to try KDE telling them it was a preview of the next Windows version, and a lot said it was an improvement.

At this point, forking out for Windows OS/software seems an utter waste. For the occasional legacy app that I might want to run, I can use Wine or even something like Windows XP/7 in a virtual machine like VirtualBox.

Much much lighter on system resources as well. On Windows this laptop is a bit sluggish and doesn't take much to max the memory out. On linux, without a huge OS burden and security software bloat that needs to be loaded before you can even start a text editor, the same lappy just flies.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
            To be honest, i like using win7 and ubuntu.
            And thst probably because there isnt a version of the Window$ SW you are using available for Ubuntu <YET> OR you just can't make that final break from Window$?

I will be exploring Python eventually and hopefully writing a program or 2, so I too can leave Window$ completely and not rely on WINE. (e.g. DVD Decrypter/HP Photocreations (fails in Wine)/Surething CD & DVD Labeller (also fails in Wine) to name a few).

For a start, ubuntu with a few tweeks lets you surf annonymous and thus enter the .onion networks.
            I thought you said <weeks> there - Ununtu 12 04 should have been rolled out now but I wont be installing it just yet as I want to get to grips with the version I converted to, 11 10. I'm not fully converse with Ubuntu yet so I don't know how to 'tweak' any of it like that and, what is the '.onion network'? Is it something for French people? No offence

Niddy is right about win7, i dont think ive had one fatal error since i got it with my laptop, i must say i kinda miss the blue screen of death now lol
            You sick puppy you, lol I love NOT seeing it, I used to dread the thought of seeing it, I used to have cold sweats just <thinking> about it

I love ubuntu simply because its got me out of scrapes more times than i can think, it has ntfs mount support, so when windows wont load for whatever reason, bung an ubuntu live cd in, boot it up, mount the drive and transfer files.
            All the more reason to completely switch over to Ubuntu, I had NTFS drives in too, that was untill I got myself a new 2Tb HD and moved everything about so I could reformat them all to 'ext4'. I have mine auto mount at bootup but sometimes it has a hiccup and sometimes fails to mount for some reason, I just reboot and it works (I have yet to figure out why this is happening)

Or better yet, repair the drive and your good to go, with windows, you need various programs to run at boot and various function combinations and thing of course crossing your fingers hoping it works.
            Something which you <dont> need to do with a linux distro...

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
            k/ubuntu here.
            Got to admit that I hate the default Unity desktop on ubuntu, and am used to KDE being an ex Mandriva/MDK user.
            Me too, I prefer Gnome Classic

As said, it's not really hard to use or get used to. Just a bit of a "shift" that is all. If I remember correctly someone did a blind survey getting random people to try KDE telling them it was a preview of the next Windows version, and a lot said it was an improvement.
            Haha... Dumb windows users I bet if Window$ was switched for Ubuntu 12 04 without telling them, they'd love it

At this point, forking out for Windows OS/software seems an utter waste. For the occasional legacy app that I might want to run, I can use Wine or even something like Windows XP/7 in a virtual machine like VirtualBox.
            And to think I was going to spend around £1,200 on a new Window$ system... I can now put that money to a far better use... A 12Tb NAS Drive

Much much lighter on system resources as well. On Windows this laptop is a bit sluggish and doesn't take much to max the memory out. On linux, without a huge OS burden and security software bloat that needs to be loaded before you can even start a text editor, the same lappy just flies.
            It's so light on system resources, I couldn’t believe how QUICK it booted up. It's also better for your installed programs as they all update from the repo, so no having to run an 'update' program for each and every program you have installed, as you do in Window$.

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post
              All the more reason to completely switch over to Ubuntu, I had NTFS drives in too, that was untill I got myself a new 2Tb HD and moved everything about so I could reformat them all to 'ext4'. I have mine auto mount at bootup but sometimes it has a hiccup and sometimes fails to mount for some reason, I just reboot and it works (I have yet to figure out why this is happening)
              Only problem with formatting your external drives with ext4 is that Windows PCs cannot natively read them.

So if you should ever need to take your data somewhere where the only option is a Windows computer, then you may find you can't get at the files.

That is why for convenience I've kept my external backup/storage as NTFS, as all recent windows/linux can read/write that with no probs.

Comment

Only problem with formatting your external drives with ext4 is that Windows PCs cannot natively read them.

So if you should ever need to take your data somewhere where the only option is a Windows computer, then you may find you can't get at the files.

That is why for convenience I've kept my external backup/storage as NTFS, as all recent windows/linux can read/write that with no probs.
                Why when you can take the OS with you too in the form of a USB stick?
                And, I dont use external drives anyways.
                Last edited by pooky2483; 25 April 2012, 12:27.

Comment

Ah. I thought you meant an external one rather than the internal HDs.

Reformatting for ext4 for the internal ones is better.

Why when you can take the OS with you too in the form of a USB stick?
                  And, I dont use external drives anyways.
                  Not all computers will boot from USB. Hate it or not, sometimes it's more useful to have the external HDs formatted NTDF/FAT32 so they can just plug into any running OS.

Comment

what is the '.onion network'? Is it something for French people? No offence
                    I think they mean the onion router.

See: Tor Project: Anonymity Online

Comment

Ah. I thought you meant an external one rather than the internal HDs.

Reformatting for ext4 for the internal ones is better.

Not all computers will boot from USB. Hate it or not, sometimes it's more useful to have the external HDs formatted NTDF/FAT32 so they can just plug into any running OS.
                      If I did want to use any of my data on a Window$ OS, I would put it on a USB stick or memory card first.

Comment

If I did want to use any of my data on a Window$ OS, I would put it on a USB stick or memory card first.
                        Fair enough.

Just didn't want people who might read this to think that they could format an external drive or memory stick as native linux ext4 and expect that to be readable on Windows.

Have seen a couple of people make that mistake.

Comment

So is now a good time to promote win7 then

or not
                          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

It's better than Vista.

Comment

It's better than Vista.
                              trust you

Comment

Working...
                              X