GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What OS (Operating System) do you use? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What OS (Operating System) do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What OS (Operating System) do you use?

virgin has probably given you a fixed i.p address if your using fibre optic broadband, which means you could run your own vpn from home.

Dont forget, if you do use tor to annonymise surfing, dont EVER use usual login/pass details via it for websites, and never check usual email addresses through it, they will all link back to you.

My advise would be to create new email accounts and site accounts while inside the tor network and only access them during tor sessions.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      virgin has probably given you a fixed i.p address if your using fibre optic broadband, which means you could run your own vpn from home.
      Virgin cycle the IP address about every month as I keep losing my wireless printer and have to keep rebooting everything

Oh, and I know what a VPN <is> but have not got a clue how to set one up....
      Last edited by pooky2483; 26 April 2012, 09:55.
      I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

Really? naughty virgin, im with virgin and i have a fixed i.p address, you can telephone and ask them to change it to a static i.p, im not sure if they charge for this, but they dont for me.

Failing that, there are websites where you can use dynamic i.p addresses to resolve fixed DNS addresses, bit long winded though.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post
          I'm on Virgin if that makes any difference?
          Not really.

You would need to connect to a VPN run by someone else to anonymise your traffic.

A quick google brings up plenty of articles such as this.

Five Ways to Download Torrents Anonymously
          Last edited by Riz; 26 April 2012, 10:05.

Comment

yes thats true, sorry i wasnt thinking about anonnymous VPN doh!

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
              Really? naughty virgin, im with virgin and i have a fixed i.p address, you can telephone and ask them to change it to a static i.p, im not sure if they charge for this, but they dont for me.

Failing that, there are websites where you can use dynamic i.p addresses to resolve fixed DNS addresses, bit long winded though.
              Thanks, I'll try that, I'm on the phone to local Council at the mo' (on hold) trying to chase up a letter I sent them and want to check they have got it.
              I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

Just got off the phone to Virgin and the only way I can get a static IP Address from them is to open up a Business Account...
                Or phone the Digital Home Support at a charge...

Stuff that

Comment

You don't really need one from what you have said.

SXGuy meant if you needed to run a VPN on your home system/network.

But that is not what you would need to do. Instead you would be subscribing to one run by someone else, and using that to route traffic through. No need for a static IP on your part.

Comment

Why not, as Virgin keep rotating my IP Address, I have to keep rebooting my whole set-up so I can reconnect to my wireless printer.

Comment

I would have thought you should have your printer set up to work via the internal network IP allocated by your router, which you should able to set to not change. Rather than by using your external IP, which obviously will.

If your external IP changing breaks the printer setup, then sounds like something is wrong somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
                        I would have thought you should have your printer set up to work via the internal network IP allocated by your router, which you should able to set to not change. Rather than by using your external IP, which obviously will.

If your external IP changing breaks the printer setup, then sounds like something is wrong somewhere.
                        I'm not sure how to set anything regarding my IP addresses either internal or external as it is something I have <never> bothered with before as I have never needed to.

Comment

yes i agree, if systems connected via the network break when your i.p is renewed then its not set up right.

And without knowing all details, and configs, i wouldnt even begin to know where to start to fix it.

Comment

Now using windows blue 8.1 to post. Really good better than windows 8. Found network printer straight away. Synced kindle, found google drive with my e mail address, can't fault it.

Comment

Working...
                            X