GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What OS (Operating System) do you use? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What OS (Operating System) do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What OS (Operating System) do you use?

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
    Fair enough.

Just didn't want people who might read this to think that they could format an external drive or memory stick as native linux ext4 and expect that to be readable on Windows.

Have seen a couple of people make that mistake.

Hmm one freind with a 1.5TB drive..nearly full as well

I know you shouldnt laugh...

Comment

Fair enough.

Just didn't want people who might read this to think that they could format an external drive or memory stick as native linux ext4 and expect that to be readable on Windows.

Have seen a couple of people make that mistake.
      I've only done a complete switch over to ext4 as the program to enable Ubuntu to read NTFS drives somehow 'disappears' and has to be re-installed and so, as I was getting sick of this, decided to remove the problem.
      I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
        So is now a good time to promote win7 then

or not
        It's better than Vista.
        Death to Window$ ... Come the day when linux will rule the WORLD
        Window$ -->

I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post
          I've only done a complete switch over to ext4 as the program to enable Ubuntu to read NTFS drives somehow 'disappears' and has to be re-installed and so, as I was getting sick of this, decided to remove the problem.
          Well, you should ideally be using a native linux filesystem (such as ext4) for the partitions you are going to install ubuntu/linux on.

So you've done the right thing there.
          I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

ok, ill admit, windows tends to get more memory hogging each new release (prob because they want to force you to upgrade components with each release, due to having sole rights with installed os when purchases pc's)

Ubuntu, 11.10 would run very easy and fast even on an old 8086 pc.

Pooky, if i could run every windows prog i needed in WINE then yes id prob switch completely to ubuntu.

.onion networks are hidden domain addresses not availible to normal surfers, its through a network called TOR.

only one search engine i know of brings up .onion domains and thats duckduckgo.

Ok, with it being anonnymous, you will find sites that, well lets say, are illegal, but i stay well away from those, there are however some interesting sites out that if you search for em.
            I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I seem to remember that there are webs based entry points to access the .onion domains via the tor network?

i.e. you don't have to install or configure tor on ubuntu (or Windows for that matter).

You can if you want though. This post is being done via tor.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
                .onion networks are hidden domain addresses not availible to normal surfers, its through a network called TOR.

only one search engine i know of brings up .onion domains and thats duckduckgo.

Ok, with it being anonnymous, you will find sites that, well lets say, are illegal, but i stay well away from those, there are however some interesting sites out that if you search for em.
                Heck, sounds like there’s a whole darker side to the Internet, sort of like a 'Black-Ops' 'It doesn’t exist' side of the net and you only find it if told of it by 'someone in the know'

Comment

LOL yeah thats true

rizzle, yeah you can access onion without tor, but the point is, it wouldnt be annonymous.

TOR uses shared bandwidth and assigns you a random i.p address when you connect. Through ubuntu you have less chance of being traced back.

I say less chance cos nothings perfect. But the hacker group annonymous and lulzec seem to do ok from it in the most part.

Comment

LOL yeah thats true

rizzle, yeah you can access onion without tor, but the point is, it wouldnt be annonymous.
                    I had a feeling that web based entry point acts as a gateway to the tor network, so that actual access to the .onion site beyond that is anonymous.

i.e. via https:// eqt5g4fuenphqinx. onion. to/ or similar.

But yes, the traffic between you and the web based entry point would not be anonymous.

Then again, depends what you are doing as to whether you want it to be. Not really a bother for me.

TOR uses shared bandwidth and assigns you a random i.p address when you connect. Through ubuntu you have less chance of being traced back.

I say less chance cos nothings perfect. But the hacker group annonymous and lulzec seem to do ok from it in the most part.
                    Except for when they forget to use it. That was how one of the main participants in that was tracked down. They forgot to route their IRC chat through tor. Whoops.

Comment

LOL something as simple as that and you get caught.

Comment

I think they mean the onion router.

See: Tor Project: Anonymity Online
                        I was going to install it but as I dont know 100% what I'm doing regearding installing from 'tar.gz', only 'deb', I decided to see if it's in the Ubuntu Software Centre and IT IS, just search 'tor'. A <lot> easier to install from there.

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post
                          I was going to install it but as I dont know 100% what I'm doing regearding installing from 'tar.gz', only 'deb', I decided to see if it's in the Ubuntu Software Centre and IT IS, just search 'tor'. A <lot> easier to install from there.
                          I have it installed via that, but using the versions from tors own online ubuntu repo which usually has more up to date versions than the main ubuntu ones.

Regardless, if the tor daemon/software is running OK on your PC, then it's normally then as simple as installing and using the tor button for Firefox.

Tor Project: Torbutton

You can set any program, or even the whole system, to use tor by manually changing proxy settings, but the tor button on Firefox is enough for most peoples needs.

Comment

I have it installed via that, but using the versions from tors own online ubuntu repo which usually has more up to date versions than the main ubuntu ones.

Regardless, if the tor daemon/software is running OK on your PC, then it's normally then as simple as installing and using the tor button for Firefox.

Tor Project: Torbutton

You can set any program, or even the whole system, to use tor by manually changing proxy settings, but the tor button on Firefox is enough for most peoples needs.
                            I’ve installed it via Ubuntu Software Centre but came up against a problem installing (any ideas?). What's the Tor repo address so I can add it and get it to update.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Can't see why you would want the packages anon-proxy or mixmaster.

I have a working tor setup, and neither of those are needed.

The tor repo instructions are option 2 on here:

Tor Project: Debian/Ubuntu Instructions

Do via the terminal. Ubuntu software centre is a bit shitty.

Looks like you may have incompletely installed packages from that log file. If so, and you get errors, then you may need to run.

Code:
                              sudo apt-get install -f
                              to fix.

Or remove any broken ones completely.

Comment

Also seems to want to install privoxy, whereas I'm using polipo instead.

That is the only problem with actually installing on ubuntu itself. Tor is not just one program. It's several working together, and it's a bit finicky to get the right ones installed and working together.

The Tor bundle they recommend is much simpler and is all self contained. You just extract the tar.gz to an appropriate folder, run the script inside, and it launchs a Firefox browser and the software with everything in place and working.

Comment

Working...
                                X