GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script What OS (Operating System) do you use? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What OS (Operating System) do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What OS (Operating System) do you use?

Originally posted by rizzle View Post
    Can't see why you would want the packages anon-proxy or mixmaster.

I have a working tor setup, and neither of those are needed.

The tor repo instructions are option 2 on here:

Tor Project: Debian/Ubuntu Instructions

Do via the terminal. Ubuntu software centre is a bit shitty.

Looks like you may have incompletely installed packages from that log file. If so, and you get errors, then you may need to run.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    to fix.

Or remove any broken ones completely.
    Like I said, I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing installing stuff. I'm still learning - I've only been using Ubuntu for 6 months now, compared to 32 years of other computers and 17 of those under Window$. So any and all help is greatly received
    I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

In that case, I would maybe use the tor bundle instead for now if you just want to give it a quick try.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise), so it's possible my tor config from installable packages wouldn't work or even be possible on 11.10.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I also used the bundle package, on 11.10. Im sure there was a few other things i had to do via the terminal but cant remember now! hmm.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
          I also used the bundle package, on 11.10. Im sure there was a few other things i had to do via the terminal but cant remember now! hmm.
          Should be as simple as extracting the bundle and running the "start-tor" shell script in the root folder.

In theory..........

When running, you need to go here to test it.

Are you using Tor?

Should get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20120425001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1386576

Comment

I like windows XP, never had a problem with it,
            unlike windows 7
            It's taken years of hard work to earn the capital N in Numpty

Comment

Originally posted by Numpty Monkey View Post
              I like windows XP, never had a problem with it,
              unlike windows 7
              I did too... Until I needed to install any hardware and lived in fear of the BSOD
              I used to be afraid of the post... Now I look forward to it - so I can stick it to the DCA's

Comment

Should be as simple as extracting the bundle and running the "start-tor" shell script in the root folder.
                'Moves hand over head making 'whooshing' sound'

Comment

The tar.gz file is basically the equivalent of a zip file.

You extract it (anywhere), and you get a folder called "tor-browser".

Inside that folder is a script you run called "start-tor-browser".

That starts the tor software, and when it's running starts the Firefox browser using tor.

Comment

The tar.gz file is basically the equivalent of a zip file.

You extract it (anywhere), and you get a folder called "tor-browser".

Inside that folder is a script you run called "start-tor-browser".

That starts the tor software, and when it's running starts the Firefox browser using tor.
                    Managed to do it;
                    was in Home/Downloads/tor-browser-en-US/Data/Tor/start-tor-browser
                    it ran ok. What do I do now, do I need to install anything or run the same program at all again?

Comment

Every time you want to use it, you run it from there like that.

That is the thing with the bundle. It's all self contained.

You can put that folder on any linux computer, anywhere in your home directory you like and run it from there. No more installing than that required.

If you don't need it or want it any more, then just delete the folder.

Comment

Every time you want to use it, you run it from there like that.

That is the thing with the bundle. It's all self contained.

You can put that folder on any linux computer, anywhere in your home directory you like and run it from there. No more installing than that required.

If you don't need it or want it any more, then just delete the folder.
                        I'll set it to run at boot-up. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post
                          I'll set it to run at boot-up. Thanks for that.
                          Why?

For most people Firefox routed through tor is not something you would really want to use all the time.

Really only when you have a particular reason you want to maintain privacy, prevent tracking, or get around a block on something.

For one thing, tor is generally much slower for browsing as the data is routed through all the extra places in the network.

And it certainly isn't much good for downloading files, watching video etc. Waaaaaaaay too slow.

Comment

Why?

For most people Firefox routed through tor is not something you would really want to use all the time.

Really only when you have a particular reason you want to maintain privacy, prevent tracking, or get around a block on something.

For one thing, tor is generally much slower for browsing as the data is routed through all the extra places in the network.

And it certainly isn't much good for downloading files, watching video etc. Waaaaaaaay too slow.
                            Point taken as I am still learning, would it be any use with transmission? or is the internal blocklist enough (and keeping that up-to-date)

Comment

You shouldn't really be using tor to route traffic for a bittorrent client either. It's not intended for that, and would be dreadfully slow I would imagine.

Tor is designed to anonymise web surfing and other low volume traffic.

Can't say I would trust any blocklist, and it wouldn't stop your IP being given out by the tracker or shared between connected clients.

From the little I've picked up, if you truly want to anonymise traffic via BT then a paid VPN service is the way.

Comment

From the little I've picked up, if you truly want to anonymise traffic via BT then a paid VPN service is the way.
                                I'm on Virgin if that makes any difference?

Comment

Working...
                                X