GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Panther's Diary - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panther's Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panther's Diary

I'm just finding my way around this excellent site so hope I've done this right. I've been helping a good friend over the years fend off a bunch of dca's. Most have gone quiet but for now I would really appreciate it if Niddy could take a look at a Capital One cc agreement for enforceability.

The details are:
    • Type of account: credit card
    • Date commenced: July 2004
    • Approx balance: £2.7k
    • Date last paid: end of 2009
    • Are you on arrangement or not paying: Not paying
    • Account owner: sold to Lowell

In 2010 we sent cap1 a CCA request which was digitally signed.

They insisted on a sig before they would comply.

We pointed out no sig is required and you are aware of who you are dealing with and have previously sent private & confidential info without requesting a sig.

They wrote back saying unless we sign there is nothing more they can do.

Fair enough that suits us so left it at that.

Roll on 4 years and lowell pop up as the new owners being assigned the account.

We told them it's in dispute as still awaiting CCA.

They said Cap1 wanted a sig and were still prepared to comply with our CCA request if we sign, but also enclosed a poor copy of a signed application form & list of statements (quite a few late payment fees listed).

We sent another CCA request to Cap1 this time signed.

Cap 1 sent what they claim to be a recon copy of our original agreement. They sent a copy of the same poor quality signed application form and separate loose pages of T&C's. One set which they claim to be the original T&C's (at the bottom of each page is V10#) and one set that they say is the T&C's at default (bottom of each page is V14#.

We've also sent Cap1 a SAR request which we still await. At the moment Lowell have put things on hold for 30 days while we wait for the info from Cap1.

I would be grateful if Niddy could take a look at the paperwork & terms they sent.

If it does turn out that the paperwork is all in order, I have calculated that the late payment fees, with compound interest, to be around 2.7k and the amount they seek and will tell them that we're quits.

Re: Panther's Diary

Have a read here------> NEW! Sending your Agreement to AAD

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thank you. I think I've managed to upload it.

Comment

Think I cocked up with the last upload. It said it had uploaded ok but when I clicked the file to check that it had worked it said the file was broke. Might have been too large so I've re-scanned it at a lower res in a single PDF file (5.5mb) and think this one has worked.

Comment

Thanks. Checked & replied. Sadly it is

however I'd blag it for a while prior to jumping in with ppi / charges reclaims.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ok thanks for taking a look NiD, I'll do just that and blag it out.

Re: the charges, what I was thinking is not to reclaim the charges as the claimant with all the associated hassle from Cap1 but instead use it as leverage and to defend the amount that lowell (the new owners) seek should they decide to issue a claim. We're still waiting the full SAR from Cap1 but from the transaction history that lowell have supplied, The statement history they provided only detail the transactions (and list the £12 late payment fees) from June 2007 to Sep 2009.

From Aug 04 to may 07 they only list the minimum payment due & monthly balance but not the transaction details. However, if Cap1 don't supply the missing transaction details for the dates 04 to May 07, I can still calculate if there had been a late payment fee applied based on the minimum payment due & monthly balance.

If the minimum payment is 3% (or £5 whichever is the greatest) am I correct in thinking that for the months which show a much higher than 3% minimum payment due, this will be because there was a missed or late payment for the previous month therefore the minimum payment rolls forward to the next month. So without any transaction details I am still able to calculate the months when a late payment fee would have been applied?

From June 07 to May 09 there are 17 x £12 late payment fees applied.
            From August 04 to May 07, using the method above I have calculated there would have been 9 late payments applied (6 of them which I believe would have been £20 at that time).

With compound interest (not sure which APR rate to use) this should come very close if not more to the £2.7 that lowell seek. So was thinking of waiting till lowell crank up the pressure then send a spreadsheet of all the late fee & int calculations showing there is no outstanding debt as what they claim is made up entirely of unlawful charges applied by Cap1.
            Last edited by panther12; 11 August 2014, 08:44.

Comment

don't mean to read and run but all the APR figures scare the life out of me. good luck
              I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

How are things with you ?
                if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by nanna58 View Post
                  How are things with you ?
                  Hi nanna, this one is still rummbling along. We went with NiDs suggestion to blag it out and not a great deal has happened apart from Lowel passed it to freds (next desk along) who started the phone calls/texts. We've got a previous letter from Lowell confirming they have removed all phone numbers and will only communicate in writing and as Freds are part of the Lowell group we put in a complaint and it's back on hold again while they investigate - which is fine by me (6 months to SB)

Comment

Just hang on ,well done xx
                    if you do it today and you like it you can always do it again tomorrow

Comment

Hi Panther

How are Lowells treating you? Heard anything more from them? (hopefully not)

Best
                      SnV
                      "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Sorry S&V, I updated the outcome in the legal thread section but looks like I forgot to post here. A good result in the end. Basically I went for the stalling tactics and it kept getting put on hold while they investigated our complaint. The last letter we got from Freds in April basically waffled on about sorry you were upset but we don't think we did anything wrong and have since been advised by lowell that they have closed your account and will not pursue the matter further. We never received anything official from lowell to say they have closed the account but have kept the letter from Freds very safe. So a good result in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by panther12 View Post
                          Sorry S&V, I updated the outcome in the legal thread section but looks like I forgot to post here. A good result in the end. Basically I went for the stalling tactics and it kept getting put on hold while they investigated our complaint. The last letter we got from Freds in April basically waffled on about sorry you were upset but we don't think we did anything wrong and have since been advised by lowell that they have closed your account and will not pursue the matter further. We never received anything official from lowell to say they have closed the account but have kept the letter from Freds very safe. So a good result in the end.
                          No worries matey - thanks for updating on the legal thread and its good to get the update here too!

Great result with Lowells

Keep that letter safe (scan it and email it to yourself also just in case!)
                          "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

Comment

Working...
                          X