GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script When does an o/d account become SB? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does an o/d account become SB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does an o/d account become SB?

When does the SB clock start ticking with an overdraft? Is it from when the last credit that was paid into the account or from when the bank start demanding payment? I presumed it would have been from when the last credit was paid in, but now think it might be the latter which could add several months to the clock and no real way of roughly knowing when it would be barred as I don't have all the paperwork. Although I have requested a SAR from the bank so that would give me some insight as to when they started chasing me for it I guess.

Thanks

Re: When does an o/d account become SB?

from when the last credit that was paid into the account ..........

What is statute barred debt?

Statute barred debt is debt which in certain circumstances becomes unenforceable in court. The piece of legislation which sets out these circumstances is the Limitations Act 1980. So when a creditor comes chasing you for an old debt you can use the following information to access whether or not your debt is time barred.
    How long can a creditor chase a debt?

This is dependent on the type of debt you have. The most common form of debt which people ask about is unsecured debts eg credit cards, personal loans, store cards, catalogues, bank loans, finance company loans etc. The Limitations Act 1980 states that when the following conditions are met then the debt cannot be pursue through the courts. The conditions are:-
    • That the creditor has not taken court action against you, eg CCJ, AND
    • You have not made any payments on the debt over the last 6 years, 5 in Scotland AND
    • During the years, you haven't written to the creditor acknowledging that owe them money.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks Deepie, that clears it up. Just had a niggling doubt that o/d might be different somehow.

Cheers

Comment

I may be wrong but I understood it was from accrual of cause of action, (the point where they are entitled to demand full repayment) which in the case of an overdraft is rather muddy as usually there's no set repayment plan. It may be safest to assume that the clock starts ticking the day after you fail to pay the amount demanded in the default notice by the due date. The T&C's may also be taken into consideration if they specifically state at what point they will take action for non payment.

Comment

Well I think to be on safe side I will need to account for that just incase My last credit into the account was roughly April 2009 but account was not defaulted until Feb 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by Loopyloo View Post
            Well I think to be on safe side I will need to account for that just incase My last credit into the account was roughly April 2009 but account was not defaulted until Feb 2010.
            Hi,
            I also have an O/D not paid or acknowledged since 2009 in my case I have not been defaulted either, I was waiting for the 6 year limit to come around, as an O/D is repaid on demand I hope the 6 year SB will be OK. ps have had no letter from the bank or statement showing this O/D but did show up on SAR.

Comment

Have they written and demanded full payment Helmsman? (Even without a DN?)

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                Have they written and demanded full payment Helmsman? (Even without a DN?)
                Hi,
                No contact whatsoever showed on SAR which was for something else I was checking on.

Comment

It'll still be 6 years from the date you last acknowledged and/or paid into it. Yea the bank may demand full repayment, and then again they may not.

You ought to go by the date YOU last used/credited the account. Argue it after but usually you'd plan it like that.
                  I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Undercover Elsa View Post
                    I may be wrong but I understood it was from accrual of cause of action, (the point where they are entitled to demand full repayment) which in the case of an overdraft is rather muddy as usually there's no set repayment plan. It may be safest to assume that the clock starts ticking the day after you fail to pay the amount demanded in the default notice by the due date. The T&C's may also be taken into consideration if they specifically state at what point they will take action for non payment.
                    you're quite right it is from the cause of action but as an OD is repayable on demand technically you class it as the date you last credited/used the account as the actual cause of action date could be a year or so later.

As i say it's easier to plan it as 6 years from last payment but argue the cause of action later if they deny / refuse your claim of SB.
                    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                      It'll still be 6 years from the date you last acknowledged and/or paid into it. Yea the bank may demand full repayment, and then again they may not.

You ought to go by the date YOU last used/credited the account. Argue it after but usually you'd plan it like that.
                      HI Niddy,
                      I noticed this O/D showing on the Sar they are adding % each month so it is continually rising but have not contacted me or sent any statement so hope that will go against them if they try to recoup hopefully in 2016.

Comment

They can and will charge mate but they're in breach of s.74 if not sending statements so they'd fail in any attempt to secure the debt regardless.

Just plan on the norm. +6 years from date last acknowledged.

Comment

Why is SB land just 5 years in Scotland but 6 in England? Is there any logical reason for this or is it just some form of widely-accepted discrimination?

There must be a viable argument against an additional one year of stress and misery for English folks...yes/no??

Just a thought!
                          Last edited by Batman; 13 November 2013, 18:04.

Comment

Scottish law mate. Totally different in so many ways.

We get free Uni/Hospital Parking and stuff too. They look after us properly up north and it's not discrimination at all - it's just better in so many ways

Comment

Ah fair dos ...yep, free parking is a controversial issue too in many places including where we live...it gets lots of backs up here..;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X