GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Future Options and CR advise - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future Options and CR advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Options and CR advise

I'm 4 years and 6 months into a DMP that effectively continues till 2032 at current payments. Everyone is happy, and the boats not been rocked. CCCS perform this function for me so its all acceptable and up to date, and every year I pay a bit more so its clear I am a promising consumer. Interest and charges have been zero ever since, and I have not skipped a beat.

I have 6 creditors totalling £22K. 1 CC, 2 unsecured loans, 3 over drafts. Both loans have been passed on to finance groups, 2 OD's to a single DCA, the CC is still with the creditor and 1 OD still with the bank. Besides the 2 loans, all are Natwest products derived from Current Accounts.

All 6 have placed defaults on my credit file from early 2008, the last of which will be mature on 19/07/2014.

The challenge is thus:

What I am planning to try to manage is to purchase my council flat at the 50% discount I will get, when I am eligible post Oct 2013. My plan is to have "part settled" my debts by then, with all accounts finalised and terminated, then saving for a 10% deposit, and then applying for a mortgage on the rest. All this in time for my last 6 year anniversary. My gamble is that given I will only be applying for a mortgage at 40% of the home value, I will be seen as a welcome risk to someone. Because, should I indeed default again, the creditor will be getting a fat profit on my home should I lose it to them with this high loan to value ratio.

The settlement I would offer on my debts could be no more than 25%.

Another option would be to attempt going UE on the 2 loans - both pre April 2007 - but settling satisfactorily the others. One is now owned by Santander and the other finally by Cabot Financial (via J & J, then Blair Oliver Scott). They are from Cahoot and Sainsbury's respectively.

So my questions are: given that after 6 years from default date this entry is removed from my CR (is this true), is there some other way that these bad logs will be retrievable by a mortgage lender doing a credit search, and if untraceable, does this in some way still reflect on my credit score. Would it just state "part settled" or also "default", and is "part settled" as serious an issue as "default"? In other words - what is the full implication and standard procedure for Credit Agencies to report, update, delete this info, or where can I further research this?

And, should I go UE on the 2 loans, will this somehow reflect on my CR after the 6 year default anniversaries have been reached post 19/07/2014? And again, how will this be logged and what are its implications on a post 6 year search?

To recap:

a) do the default entries at their 6 year anniversary really get removed from the CR, and are they then untraceable? are they declarable on further credit applications?
    b) how does the 6 year rule apply to UE's?
    c) could these UE's be enforced later and how would this risk my subsequent house purchase?
    d) going UE on a finance group as opposed to a DCA - is this advisable/possible/feasible/suicidal?
    e) whats your opinion on the possibility of me obtaining mortgage credit on said discounted flat as imagined by someone who's not as clever as he thinks/hopes?

Many thanks,
    R

Re: Future Options and CR advise

Originally posted by Flowerpower
    I notice above you have 2 overdrafts. There are treated in a different way as, strictly speaking, there wouldn't have been a CCA as such, as they are attached to a current account. A conventional s.78 request doesn't apply. See here for more info and the letter you have to send for O/Ds ---> Overdrafts - CCA Information - allaboutFORUMS

There is no point in offering any F&F if the debts are UE. If any turn out to be enforceable then you could think about that at a later time.

Debts will become Statute Barred 6 years after last payment or written acknowledgment. As you have been paying them on your DMP, this wouldn't be till 2018 if you were to stop now, even when they will drop off your credit file in 2014 (assuming defaults recorded in 2008). Once they are SBd they can't be collected or recovered through the courts.

As for the mortgage, once your file is clear, it shouldn't be a problem to get a mortgage if the LTV is just 50% or 60% as could be the case if you are buying a Council flat with a 40% discount plus your deposit. After the credit crunch, lenders seem more concerned about LTV than anything else because if they only lend you, say, half the value of the property, they are unlikely to lose any money if you can't pay and they have to repossess.
    FP I have to disagree about your last comment about mortgages , lenders are more worried about credit history than deposit at the moment. Having a big deposit gives you a better rate and more lenders, but bad credit history, no matter what your deposit is means the mortgage market is basically closed to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Flowerpower
      I realise that, I did say once your credit file is clear, which MR says will be in 2014, and he is prepared to wait till then to apply for a mortgage.
      Sorry didn't see that

Comment

Thanks both for your feedback. So if I understand correctly (and am yet to go through to the links you sent FP) this is the situation:

Yesterday I bought me CR from Equifax. It lists my 6 creditors and the dates they defaulted me as being

Natwest.......08/01/2008
        Cabot...........31/01/2008
        Natwest........29/02/2008
        AIC..............01/03/2008
        AIC.............31/05/2008
        Santander....18/06/2008

So as I understand it, come 19/06/2014 any search on my CR will not show up the above, thereby showing my Credit History as "clear" besides my mobile, current account etc. which are not in default. This I presume would give me a near excellent credit rating.

Am I reading this correctly? Is the above a fair approximation of the outcome?

The bit about going SB I am yet to fathom.

But all said and done, I am ok with drip feeding my DMP until I have some money saved to offer 25% max to 4 of the creditors, and then go UE on the 2 big loans. I am planning for this to be in 6 months time.

I imagine those 2 loans on UE I will need to deflect until the default maturity date of 19/06/2014. Which I suppose theoretically is the day I can apply for a mortgage.

Comment

Originally posted by MountRob View Post
          So as I understand it, come 19/06/2014 any search on my CR will not show up the above, thereby showing my Credit History as "clear" besides my mobile, current account etc. which are not in default. This I presume would give me a near excellent credit rating.
          No, it does not work like that.

The default entries will be removed from your file at the monthly feed update within that cycle so lets assume one of your defaults is with Halifax who update on or around the 19th of the month, and the default date was 18th of June (2008) then the default would have to remain until at least 19th June 2014 but as this is on the actual feed date itself it would be missed hence the actual removal date may well be closer to 20th July 2014.

I always say give it a full month after the actual default removal period (ie 6 years) to ensure the feed has occurred and wiped the entry.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Ok kewl...

So I'v written to AIC to offer final settlement on 2 debts of about 20%. I notice from my CR that the small one has not been updated since 04/11, and its for bank charges, so I reckon they don't care what happens to that. And of course, its not a credit, so will defo go UE on that £200 +. The other is for an OD of about £1450 but they bought that from Apex in 2010, and last Sept offered me a settlement of 66% - i.e £1640 to £1066. So I reckon £300 should do, and if not then go UE on them. At least they are small enough debts, so I can see how I feel and then consider UE on the biggies. And its 2 birds with one stone kinda thing.

Also decided to up my Credit score at the same time as blowing up my DMP, so just got provisional acceptance on a Vanquis Card. Its against my DMP sign up rules, but am sure it will get under the radar.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

yeah i reckon. gonna milk that reality till i'm everyone's number 1.

Comment

Working...
              X