GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script RBS credit card reclaim help - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RBS credit card reclaim help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RBS credit card reclaim help

i have had 2 RBS credit cards, both of which i have defaulted on last year, and are now on payment plans.

Both had PPI on them and was advised by numerous people to reclaim the PPI on them to reduce the debt to RBS.

I have previously put in for 6 PPI reclaims on loans for myself and other family members, all successful and paid out, so I wrote to RBS with reasons used before to reclaim the PPI on the cards.

they have now wrote back refusing my claim (due to me being defaulted I assume) stating reasons like PPI paperwork was sent after I completed the application with various terms and conditions from the time.

I am hoping someone could advise of a letter to write back to them to try to make them change track.

In the letter it also said we have tried to telephone you, to ask questions but we are unable to contact you, strange as I have Truecall and no messages have ever been left or any unknown phone numbers logged on the system.

Any advice please

Re: RBS credit card reclaim help

I am going through a similar thing with RBS and a NatWest credit card. There is some information on my thread - FOS refuse appeal - NatWest - help needed. - allaboutFORUMS - if you haven't already seen it.

Credit card PPI refunds with RBS seem a lot harder to get than loan PPI refunds. They seem to refuse the majority (as in my case) and the FOS often sides with them if you appeal. Having said that, there are people on here who have won but it seems to require a fair bit of persistence.

There are some people on here with a lot of experience in progressing credit card claims and I am sure some of them will be along soon to advise you. In the meantime, have a look at my ongoing thread.

Good luck and don't give up.

DTMM

Comment

Think the difference between loans and credit cards is that with loans front loaded PPI is the mis sell.

So if you have that its game over for the bank and doesnt matter why what or if.

Whereas with CC's you have to think what actually happened at the time they sold it.

And sadly not many of us take recording equipment in or take notes all the time.

Then you can say something like oh it was sold over the phone and they can prove otherwise and its game over for you.

There is this subtle difference between a mis purchase and a mis sell.

So for a credit card you have to prove that they advised or didnt although they were there at the time of the sale, that you werent eligible for it or that you had a choice.

So take a leaflet dropped through the door. They didnt advise and if you ticked a box its probably a mis purchase even if its cack value to yourself.

I would rewind back to the start of this and if you can put down what you can recall of the sale of the PPI to you and the reasons you put forward to RBS maybe Di30 might be able to turn this round for you.

Comment

Ken makes a lot of sense (as always). The more info you have the better your position. I am a big believer in investing £10 in a SAR, just to see what it does or doesn't turn up.

In my own case, I had sent a SAR when I wanted info on another two accounts but their reply also told me they didn't have the original PPI application, which meant I knew they had no way of contradicting what went into the claim.

Although some people have different views, I cannot see any harm in having all the information you can get. Just be warned, RBS can and do take up to 4 months to complete a SAR.

DTMM

Comment

They sent through the card application which had a Ppi checkbox on it.
          They also sent copies of terms etc which I don't ever recall having off them.

Comment

Hi
            I would write back and say due to the fact that you are now under a payment plan via the balance of the credit cards, the PPI is totally worthless to you, as your not any longer able to use it anyway, so despite the fact that you believe it was mis sold the policy, it's not right that you should be paying for a policy that your not going to be able to use.

So with that, they should or would usually use the amount to pay towards the debt to reduce the balance.

Muppets they are, good luck

Comment

Dear Sir/Madam

Account/Complaint Ref no:

Thank you for your letter of your decision dated XX/XX/2013

I am disappointed with the outcome of your decision, as I do believe I was mis sold Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) alongside my Credit Card.

I gave you my reasons which were...............
              You failed to agree with my complaint and rejected this because........

I do not agree and am requesting you review my complaint, and contact me within 14 days of you receiving this letter. I also enclose a copy of my complaint (if you still have this).

However, as you will be aware, my account is now under a payment plan, due to this I am no longer in the position to use the Payment Protection Insurance (PPI).
              You will realise that if you include the PPI within the balance owed on the credit card, this only raises the debt, but the policy is worthless to me.
              As you know I am in difficulties with the account(s) and not in the position to make a claim for ie: sickness/unemployment etc, because I'm not able to meet the full repayments, which is why a payment plan has been agreed.
              This makes sense, as you will know, otherwise I am paying for a product that I cannot use.

Please reconsider my complaint with my reasons I have applied. I will otherwise have to put my account in dispute and complain further to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), who I believe will take all my circumstances into consideration.

Yours sincerely

Comment

I believe the Ppi was stopped by RBS when I defaulted and it was then managed via their debt recovery team

Regards
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mjr001 View Post
                  I believe the Ppi was stopped by RBS when I defaulted and it was then managed via their debt recovery team

Regards
                  Mark
                  Hi Mark, so they would have still added the ppi within the balance owed on the credit card??

Comment

I thought that Ppi was added every month on the statement

Mark

Comment

Think what Di30 is trying to say there is still PPI contained within the balance.

The balance is higher than if you didnt have PPI. Because if the PPI wasnt there the balance would be lower hence your outstanding debt lower.

Comment

Yes that is correct.

Like a loan balance if there was any PPI it added within the loan balance as one owed balance.

For example, my bro in law was having issues with a bank as he went into financial hardship, he came to an affordable monthly arrangement plan, then put in a reclaim of the PPI, for one he had med reasons at the time it was sold to him and another reason the fact he was still paying for the ppi on the balance of the credit card, it was no use to him, because if he did try to make a claim say for unemployment whilst under a payment plan they will not pay out anyway, so when successful on a reclaim, the ppi was taken off the balance owed, and he was left with a reduced balance.

Comment

Working...
                        X