GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Statute Barred location - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Statute Barred location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statute Barred location

Threads seem to consider that after 5 years in Scotland and 6 years in England and Wales, creditors can pursue debts for as long as they want but not in the courts.

Can any of you kind people tell me what the residency rules are for SB in Scotland? I am confused as to how the will be able to prove that you are not living in Scotland at any point after 5 years.

Do you have to have a permanent address there and be on the voters register? Or can you 'live' with your aunty for a year and then return to England?

What happens if you live in Scotland and then move to England or Wales in year 6? Would the creditor then be able to pursue you once again?

Re: Statute Barred location

Personally, I would just send the SB letter out and leave them with the headache of sorting out proof of where, what, when :-)
    Remember the mantra:
    NEVER communicate by 'phone.

Send EVERYTHING by Recorded/Special Delivery
    Keep a copy of EVERYTHING sent
    Keep hold of EVERYTHING received

PriorityOne & CPUTR 2008 (ex P1 CAG CPUTR 2008)

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Seem to remember Nids saying it depends where geographically you took out the agreement, so if it was in Scotland, it's five years, England it's 6

Comment

I asked a similar thing which Niddy replied to:
        http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...moving-country

HB

Comment

You are right MrsD, I think in the small print you find things like "under the terms of this agreement, the Law applying will be that applying in (Scotland) (England)" etc. I have noticed these clauses appearing in places like e-bay transactioions and various complaints procedures. I suppose I ought to check our T & Cs properly.

regards
          G

Comment

As I recently explained on another thread....

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt
            Where did you see this? The actual way it works is based on residency as at inception NOT residency as at time of default. So if you lived in England when you signed up, no matter where you move it'll be 6yr SB rule. If you took it out in Scotland and moved south, it'd be 5yrs to SB.

Your CURRENT locale is irrelevant it's all to do with when it was executed
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by julian View Post
              want but not in the courts.
              Just to answer this part - in Scotland it is extinguished so they can't chase you period. In England however, once you make them aware it is SB they must stop hassling you and cannot utilise the courts. If they did hassle you, you can complain to FOS as the OFT guidelines on debt collection state that once the dca know its SB they shouldn't pursue it/you.
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X