GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Does selling disputed debt constitute fraud? - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does selling disputed debt constitute fraud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does selling disputed debt constitute fraud?

Hello :-)

As a newbie to the forums, hope to get some good advice and learn some more about law in regards to debt as I go along.

Before I ask some questions, some background information might be useful.

I opened a Halifax current account in 2000 and was asked if I wanted a credit card. I explained that although I worked with my partner in his business, I didn’t have a job in my own name with his company. The woman said that was no problem and went on to ask if I was insured if I lost my job. I told her no. She spoke about insurance for stolen cards, insurance in the event of accidents, health insurance and insurance while travelling abroad as well as insurance if I lost my job. I agreed to the insurance and she set up payment protection insurance for these things.

Around the autumn of that year, I went into the bank and told them my circumstances had changed and I might have to close down the credit card. They said as my payments were kept up to date there wasn’t a problem. PPI wasn’t mentioned and there were more pressing matters needing action.

On December 2001, I was in a car accident struck from behind while stationary at traffic lights. Hospital x-rayed my neck due to suspicion it was broken and that was the only medical help I got bar some painkillers. My GP refused to acknowledge there had been a car accident and I was left to fend for myself. It took months for me to walk and put in my claim for PPI thinking it would cover the cost of medical investigations into my health. This was to be the first of many claims for PPI all of which were ignored/received no response.

It was only when I managed to walk into the local branch in 2002 with the help of a family member did I begin to get some answers. A nice bank representative could not believe my situation and took me to an office in the back where she rang up the credit card company (I think they were in Ireland) demanding to know what was happening to my claims. They denied knowledge of all claims and said they would send me a claim form, which they duly did after some prodding.

This resulted in them denying me on the grounds I wasn’t working as working with my partner at his company did not constitute a legal definition of work and therefore could not have payments made. I asked about medical help but that was never part of the insurance I was told. I told them to stop PPI payments and disputed their findings because they had sold me insurance I could never use. They continued taking payments for several months before eventually selling the debt to a debt collection agency.

Letters went back and forth and I had a mental breakdown whereby older members of the family stepped in and took control getting me compensation for the car accident to help offset some debt as well as getting me registered under a new GP.

It’s been a long battle but I am almost capable of functioning on a better level and also now in receipt of hospital investigations so I hope to be able to deal with the debt collection once and for all.

The debt collectors are Lowell Financial Limited and their solicitors Bryan Carter Ltd threatening to take me to court. The debt is apparently for £4300.00

These people seem to start up every couple of years with phone calls from 6am to 9pm with automated voices, belligerent attitudes whenever I do speak with them to ask them to send me details of the debt and constant threats of legal action.

In one phone call last year, I spoke with a male who admitted he didn’t know where they bought the debt from but did say £12.00 payment from me was put on the debt around 2007.

I am unsure if this is true as I do recall telling a female telephone caller that I wanted to have them disclose all details about the debt and told her I was sending them an SAR but not sure if I did or whether I just paid some money on it.

The computer I used at the time that would have these details may not be available for me to check although I have begun searching for all paperwork to the debt including correspondence with the bank from the year 2000. I know I sent an SAR to Halifax around 2002/2003 and felt the agreement they gave was not a true copy but had no one to advise me before illness took over completely.

So now I am researching the law and trying my best to understand what to do.

Am I right in thinking that I should first send them a letter asking them to prove they have a debt in the first instance?

My thinking is that this will give me time to keep searching for paperwork as well as see if I can get hold of the hard drive I used when dealing with these people before.

Do I send another SAR to the bank to establish dates of PPI payments in case I can’t find the paperwork? I’m not even sure they will have kept them.

Also, regarding the act of the bank selling the account which included amounts of PPI and charges added after being told to stop PPI - does this constitute as fraud?

From what I understand of the term, fraud is when someone or something (a company for instance) benefits from a fraudulent act (selling an account to which has been added PPI payments and charges after being told to stop) or am I missing relevant facts as to why this could never be constituted as a fraudulent act?

I’d welcome advice on the situation as well as any pointers in the legalities, thank you.

Re: Does selling disputed debt constitute fraud?

ok hang on, too many questions flying around, lets break it down and take each one at a time.

For PPI you can reclaim what you have paid, if you have a copy of the agreement its as simple as filing in a questionaire from the FOS website and sending it off to the company you got the PPI from.

The debt that B C and Lowells are chasing you for, If you did not make a payment in 2007 and you are certain of this, then chances are its statued barred by now, in which case they should be informed of this and it should see them off.

But first you need to find out where they get this payment from. Are you sure you didnt make the payment? perhaps they credited your account from a SAR payment you made? we need to find this out first.

Someone else with more knowledge will be around to help soon.
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by SXGuy View Post
      ok hang on, too many questions flying around, lets break it down and take each one at a time.

For PPI you can reclaim what you have paid, if you have a copy of the agreement its as simple as filing in a questionaire from the FOS website and sending it off to the company you got the PPI from.

The debt that B C and Lowells are chasing you for, If you did not make a payment in 2007 and you are certain of this, then chances are its statued barred by now, in which case they should be informed of this and it should see them off.

But first you need to find out where they get this payment from. Are you sure you didnt make the payment? perhaps they credited your account from a SAR payment you made? we need to find this out first.

Someone else with more knowledge will be around to help soon.

I had not got far with a previous PPI claim as this was before my mental break-down. I shall need to re-learn what to do and how to do it, but my brain has 'hic-cups' and memory is affected daily.

I am searching for all the paperwork, and so far have found nothing to confirm or deny the payment they claim I made in 2007. I do recall parts of the telephone conversation but that is all. The letters for this period are located elsewhere and I am waiting for my daughter to help me (I am unable to walk much) with that one.

Thank you, SXGuy. :-)
      Last edited by Halo_slip; 8 January 2013, 10:39.

Comment

No Probs

Ill give Di a nudge to talk to you about reclaiming PPI but from what i understand, if you can get hold of proof of payments, you dont need the agreement as such, old statements showing it was paid will do.

Someone else will be along shortly to help with the other stuff also.
        I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Halo_slip, welcome to AAD ,

Well done on making a start at sorting this lot out.

If it was me, the first thing I would do ASAP is send a CCA Request to whoever wrote to you last, be it Carter or Lowells, which will stop any legal threats in their tracks.
          Here's the correct template>> Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | CCA Request

Enclose a PO for £1 payable to Lowells (assuming they now own the debt) and sign digitally.

I'd also send a new SAR request to Halifax >> Our Templates | Unenforceability Templates | Subject Access (SAR) - Advanced Request

Enclose the £10 PO etc. Mark both PO's "For statutory fee purposes ONLY"

Please please don't speak to them on the phone ever again. Keep everything in writing from now on.

Elsa x

Comment

PS, we need to establish what and when the last payment was, at it may already be statute barred, or shortly to be so even if you made a payment in 2007

Comment

Oh thank you, Elsa, I shall get those printed off straight away.

I have also taken on board 'signing digitally', thank you very much Elsa and SXGuy, will have those posted ASAP and update with results. :-)
              Last edited by Halo_slip; 8 January 2013, 11:01. Reason: Added new information

Comment

Excellent..don't forget to send them by recorded delivery so you have proof of receipt.

As SXGuy says, I'm sure our lovely Di will be along shortly to help with the reclaiming angle. Anything you're not sure of don't be afraid to ask

Comment

Hi folks

Sorry for the delay, I will take a read now and get back.

And thank you x

Comment

Hi and welcome Halo_slip

First of all I am so sorry to hear of what you have been through, and hope matters have settled down by now in your health.

And folks, thank you for your input, you have already answered that I would have also suggested as well. Again thank you.

Although a SAR is useful if you have nothing at all to go by.

To make a reclaim, you can do this by letter or a complaint reclaim questionnaire. The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) issued these questionnaire's for customers to complain to the organisation/business that set up and sold you the account.
                    Always keep copies of what you send and receive.

Reclaim complaint questionnaire here:
                    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...laint_form.doc

If you check on the FOS website, you can have a choice of the above doc or pdf. Do not get this confused with the FOS complaints form though (such as if you had to complain to them later, if your not happy with the decision)

Or if you prefer, the template letter here:
                    http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/s...ead.php?t=6720

If you use the template letter, try tweaking to your own personal letter, and of course add that applies to you and what you said in your first post.

We always suggest to use sign for recorded delivery.

You do have a strong case here and you should succeed, but any problems, let us know as we can take it from there.

Hope this help in regards of the reclaiming of PPI.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you again, Elsa. :-)

I shall do recorded delivery and have asked my daughter to get those postal orders today on her way home.

Thank you so much, Di, it is such a relief to get on the right track at last. My health issues will be sorted out, I hope, as I am getting hospital investigations and I can start to figure out how to get better; been trying for ten years alone but now I can articulate my needs, I hope things progress. :-)

I think I shall use the template letter if I may, that gives me an idea of what to say as well as keeping track of letters.

Still haven't found paperwork in regards to the payment Carter Ltd say I made, but will carry on searching as it was my daughters who filed everything away for me, and that means they dumped paperwork in shopping bags. I'm buying folders and shall file them according to year.

Thank you very much for all your help. I shall update when I have their response. :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X