GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Marbles not playing fair - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marbles not playing fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marbles not playing fair

One for Niddy I believe... Really not sure how to proceed with this:

Essentially I hold a Marbles card, taken out in 2002, and I now live overseas and have done so since 2008. I informed marbles back in 2010 that I was overseas and wanted to still use the card for purchases from the UK. They were fine with that and were happy with my card being on my Dad's address. When, at the beginning of the year, I changed the address to our overseas one, as we're more settled now, I received a letter a couple of months later to say that they were closing the account as they didn't support people who lived overseas.

I then received a further letter a week later saying that they were increasing my credit limit by $2k.

A further letter arrived saying that my interest was due to increase to 34% but that, since the account was closing they would maintain it at 24%. It was no more than 8% when I took the card out.

Receiving mixed messages I rang marbles to find out what was going on and they confirmed that the account was being closed. We discussed the ridiculous interest and they suggested I transfer the balance to another card at 0%. Unfortunately, not an option since I'm abroad and I'm not in a position to pay the card off just now either. I asked whether they could freeze the interest as if they were closing the account it seemed the only fair option. The lady on the phone said that the only way they would even discuss this option with me would be if I defaulted on a payment.

So I sat on the unfairness of their actions for a couple of months and decided that I did want to open a dialogue with them so I defaulted. Not an easy decision to make as I have never done this before....

I wrote them a letter asking them to freeze the interest, in the circumstances. They have refused. I asked them to provide me with a signed original CCA. I have a letter from them stating that they do not have one. I asked them to reference in their T&Cs where it says that an account can be closed and interest still applied. They are unable to do so. I have the current T&Cs which state something to the effect of monies added after the account is closed are liable for payment but it mentions nothing about interest and that statement is ambiguous enough for me to question it.

We're now at stalemate and their customer service team member has declared that they will not enter into any further correspondence with me. I have, in parallel, been receiving letters from their collections team re the default and they have now sent a letter stating that the next letter will be a demand for the full amount. I have not written to that side of the business yet.

I would really like some advice on the whole matter and what you believe should be my next steps ?

thank you so much Niddy

Re: Marbles not playing fair

My thoughts would be, having beaten Marbles myself, would be to ignore them completely.

As you say, you are abroad - what can they actually do?

I even had the exact same dialogue after they bumped my interest up - cant help if you are up to date, and refuse to help when in arrears!!
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

as soon as you stop paying, they will pass the debt on, and most likely interest and charges will stop.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

You are not paying, they have no CCA, seems like a damned good result to me!
        When you have nothing you have nothing to lose

Comment

I cannot see anyone sending a doorstep collector to you, forget it and move on.

Comment

As others have stated, why not just ignore them? No more calls, ignore their threats - you're not in the UK so they cannot touch you....

Plus it's Progressive Financial now, not HFC/HSBC that run marbles.

---> Progressive Credit Limited

I'd just forget about this and live your life, it I was you
            I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Some also went to HBOS Niddy (trust me lol)

Not that it makes much difference here like.

Comment

Originally posted by oscar View Post
                Some also went to HBOS Niddy (trust me lol)

Not that it makes much difference here like.
                They ALL went to HBOS

Marbles cards went FROM hbos TO Progressive Financial mate - end of!

Remember SAV Credit etc were involved, it's all change. But basically they went from HBOS to Progressive - HBOS no longer own any of the portfolio as it is nothing to do with them, nor is the brand name Marbles.
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

The trouble is that overseas doesn't mean that they couldn't either instruct a DCA, or sell the account, here in NZ.

Do you have anyone on the forum who has been in the same position ?

Comment

Originally posted by cherylv View Post
                    The trouble is that overseas doesn't mean that they couldn't either instruct a DCA, or sell the account, here in NZ.

Do you have anyone on the forum who has been in the same position ?
                    They can sell it etc but they won't. Trust me here - forget about it.

They will not send anyone (or more to the point appoint a third party from NZ to chase you, it is not viable)....

Yes, a few (more than 10 less than 23) people here live abroad and 'ignore' their creditors

Comment

oh, also Oscar - you say you beat Marbles - how ?

Comment

oh, also Oscar - you say you beat Marbles - how ?
                        By ignoring them!

Comment

So no letters at all then....

Do you have links to the forums where anything overseas is mentioned that might be similar ? (Can you tell I'm a worrier !!)

Comment

Do you have links to the forums where anything overseas is mentioned that might be similar ? (Can you tell I'm a worrier !!)
                            Would it matter when the source of the info was the same, i.e. me!

However see this ---> What to do, I'm in a credit card mess, please help :-( - allaboutFORUMS

That is one example with "A grand total of £17,845."

Comment

No, and also no phone calls - pure ignorance is the way forward here.

Comment

Working...
                              X