GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script MBNA - the waiting game - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MBNA - the waiting game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBNA - the waiting game

Hi all,

I just registered to ask what my best course of action may be.

I had a Virgin credit card from MBNA many years ago, like many others I was made redundant and found myself unable to pay so it fell into arrears.
    I started a conversation (via email) with them and they agreed that, at the time, I was in no position to make proper payments and also talked about refunding some charges! (Never happened)

The last email I have from the person I was speaking to is an out of office reply. That was in July 2009.

Since then, nothing. However I have been awarded a default notice that I'd actually like to get rid of.

The thing is, do I contact them (if so, who?) with an offer of full and final settlement at a greatly discounted rate just to clear it up or is there another course of action I should take?

I know it'll be statute barred in a few years time as I haven't made any payments since early 2009 at the very latest but I've come to the conclusion that I'd like to clean up my credit reference.

What do you advise, o wise ones?

Re: MBNA - the waiting game

Getting rid of a default notice isn't that easy to do, but a lot of lenders don't take any notice of defaults over 3 years old anyway.

As you're already 3 years into the debt being statute-barred, and you haven't heard anything for 3 years, I'd be very wary of getting in touch with them.

Have you moved home since you last paid this? Do you have other debts?
    Let your smile change the world but don't let the world change your smile

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Hi Pixie,

thanks for the quick reply - I'm still living at the same address and I only have one other debt that is being cleared up without any problems.

I know it's not uncommon to have heard nothing from them - I've been reading the threads on here already!

The thing is that I applied for a credit card a little while ago (I just need one for when I travel for the company that I'm working for) and got refused which surprised me.

A quick search and voila! A mark in the naughty book...

Comment

The default is an 'accurate' reflection of the conduct of your account, getting them to remove it is likely to be difficult if not impossible, whether they accept a F&F offer or not.

TBH, if they have put you in the 'not worth the effort' pile I wouldn't be looking to get back on the radar by calling them up and the damage has already been done in relation to your credit file.

As already said, frequently creditors don't look beyond 3 years history anyway so another 6-12 months and you'll most likely be able to get a credit card.

Sorry thats not the news you want to hear, but certainly in the case of MBNA no news is good news!

Best
        SnV
        "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Cheers SnV,

I think that's probably what I was expecting to hear anyway!

I'll just sit here, quiet as a mouse...

Comment

Yep - the last thing I want to do is start the timer again now!

And yep again, the DN is already 3 years old, someone said that I can put an explanatory note on it to lessen the impact. Is that so?

If so, how does one accurately and honestly describe it, and does that in turn alert MBNA?

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Comment

I would advise NOT to add notes to your credit file, while it sounds good, it can actually have a negitive impact, for example when creditors do a search, you may be accepted, but if theres a note, it may not pass so easily, they would have to see why it was rejected, or worse still, not bother.

Anything wrong with your credit report should be handled by contacting them, dont add a note to the file yourself.

Comment

Working...
              X