GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Partial Settlements - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partial Settlements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial Settlements

Hi There,

Been searching the net for some advice and thought I would try here as there some good info already up...

My question is:

I have made Full and Final Settlement offers to my creditors and one agreed to a reduced amount but said although the account would be closed and I would would not owe them any more, the discounted amount will show on my credit file.

I know that the inserts on your credit file normally last for 6 years but when the notice of default is removed from the file will the discounted amount from the settlement also be removed?

I ask this because I defaulted on the account some 3.5 years ago now and was hoping to have a clean slate fairly soon...

Thanks.

Re: Partial Settlements

A default supersedes all other lower entries such as settlements etc. As you're 3.5 years in; then by the time 6 years are up the credit file would be clear totally. If you pay or don't, the same applies. All that will supersede a default is a ccj so yes, in answer to your question, your defaulted entry would change to show settled with "partial settlement" as the indicator and that'd stay the case until the 6yr default expiry date.

Have you seen our F&F templates? Don't pay till you get it in writing - they'll try and skank you!!
    I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I would also think that 3.5 years in, if they were going to go for court action / CCJ they would have done so by now. Not so sure I would be offering anything.
      I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Agreed but is this the only debt or partial debt?
        I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for your responses...

The full story is that for the past 3.5 years I have been paying off my creditors (8 of them) through a debt management plan after it all go too much when I lost my job and I didn't have any money to pay them.

Now, with about £10000 left to pay back in March, I decided to make offers in full and final settlement of the accounts under the guidance of the national debt helpline. My family offered some money towards this and after writing twice, 3 creditors have agreed, 1 has refused, 2 are still considering the offer and another I have not heard from.

I am still paying money into my debt management plan and at the rate I am going, should be finished paying the rest off in next year or two but was hoping to pay them less and get it over and done with sooner.

I just wanted clarification on the fact that, if the account was marked as "default" 3.5years ago, then would a partial settlement that I make now also drop off my credit file in 2.5years when the 6 year period from the original "default" is up.

In all honesty I wish I had found and read forums in the past when this first happened as I may have dealt with the situation slightly differently as all my debt was non secured and an accumulation of several years burying my head in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
            A default supersedes all other lower entries such as settlements etc. As you're 3.5 years in; then by the time 6 years are up the credit file would be clear totally. If you pay or don't, the same applies. All that will supersede a default is a ccj so yes, in answer to your question, your defaulted entry would change to show settled with "partial settlement" as the indicator and that'd stay the case until the 6yr default expiry date.

Have you seen our F&F templates? Don't pay till you get it in writing - they'll try and skank you!!
            Niddy answered above re the default question.

Comment

Originally posted by swanfan View Post
              Niddy answered above re the default question.
              I know... Thank you.

I just wrote all that in clarification to my situation in case anybody else reading it wanted a better understanding for the reasoning behind my original question. And Niddy also asked whether it was for all the debt of just part of it.

Comment

Sorry Guys to interject here, But always but always insist upon stringent terms and conditions with F & Fs this is not Statute Law where you can refer to a "book", this is Common Law of Contract and every case stands or falls on its own merits. Its a bit late I would think now but for anyone else looking in seek advice on this subject BEFORE saying anything at all to your creditor unless you know how it works. Advice is here or a legal but remember your local High St sol may not know the case law and inadvertantly mislead you.

regards
                Garlok

Comment

Originally posted by garlok View Post
                  Sorry Guys to interject here, But always but always insist upon stringent terms and conditions with F & Fs this is not Statute Law where you can refer to a "book", this is Common Law of Contract and every case stands or falls on its own merits. Its a bit late I would think now but for anyone else looking in seek advice on this subject BEFORE saying anything at all to your creditor unless you know how it works. Advice is here or a legal but remember your local High St sol may not know the case law and inadvertantly mislead you.

regards
                  Garlok
                  We do have a very good F&F offer template with stringent terms, take a mooch :---> F&F Offer in exchange for Default Removal Template

Comment

Working...
                  X