GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script Strategising - 6 accounts - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategising - 6 accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategising - 6 accounts

Hi.

I'm discussing with my parents how best to handle their debts. A quick rundown, they're living on disability living allowance. My Dad is very poorly and both are over retirement age. They are mortgage free and are being hounded with old credit card debt.

The debts were about £17k but over the last six years of payments, this is now down to about £12k. I want to try and help as they're not enjoying their old age and are, at the core, although scared to rock boats, are coming round to the idea. I checked these accounts with Niddy a while back and got the enforceable/unenforceable yays and nays, admittedly before I knew what to do with that information. Their biggest worry is that if they sell their house to downsize and generate money to pay the debts, will they then stick charges/interest on? At the moment, interest is frozen on all accounts. The reason they didn't fancy just stopping the unenforceable debts is if they were dragged through the courts. I know, from other accounts here it's not too likely, but still they're not able for it.

A quick rundown is as follows:
    2x Capital One accounts, both enforceable, about £4k between the two
    1 Cabot, was barclays, very unenforceable, about £2k
    1 Cabot, was IF, unenforceable, about £1800
    1 CapQuest, was Sainsburys, about £2k
    1 Cabot, was Morgan Stanley, about £1700

I think we are venturing down the path of trying to figure the best way to do full and final settlements on these. So, questions:
    - Given the debts, statuses, length of time this has gone on and DCAs involved, what sort of money should we be looking at generating? My initial thought is about £2k as it's over 15% and I have that about now
    - Is it necessary for a F&F to go through a third party? I'm happy to do it for them if so.
    - Should they first ask to reduce to token payments (Niddy's templates) of £1,00 a month? Would six months of that sort of treatment have any bearing on their likelihood to accept?

OK, I'm a noob and have no idea what I'm talking about... so feel free to tell me what we should do!

Many thanks!

Re: Strategising - 6 accounts

Hi and welcome. Have you read through this section? It gives loads of advice, especially on how to phrase letters. http://forums.all-about-debt.co.uk/f...nts-amp-Offers . Good luck
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Yep, read through a few of those (and also appear to have posted this in the wrong forum, apologies). Trying to do my homework on this while studying

Comment

Originally posted by sulphur2001 View Post
        Yep, read through a few of those (and also appear to have posted this in the wrong forum, apologies). Trying to do my homework on this while studying

I've moved your thread to the Settlements and Offers section.

IF
        "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

This explains the formula in which to make offers --> http://www.all-about-debt.co.uk/old/...-making-offers

Follow that to get a fair equation but tbh you may have to wait till the accounts are with a DCA before the creditor themselves will consider any offers.
          I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

if your parents are on disability/pension payments they should certainly reduce to £1, benefits are not paid to pay unsecured debts. You might want to read the diaries here, quite a few of our guys are pursuing UE on behalf of elderly parents. There should be no shame, we've all been there. We would look after them if you want to have a go at UE, how long have the debts been in default?

Comment

Probably coming up for the 6 year mark but their credit report has APs for the last six years on them from the DCAs.

Four of the accounts are with DCAs and Niddy confirmed they were UE in May. Sadly my parents aren't game for UE. It frightens them too much so FF is probably the way.

The last time all of them demanded bank statements to prove income and outgoings. The four with the DCAs are one thing but the Cap One debts are enforceable. As they have a fully paid for home they're worried about Cap One pressing further via CCJs etc. if they try messing them about.

Comment

Working...
              X