GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script British Gas Default - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Gas Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas Default

Hi Can someone help me urgently with a default from BG on my credit file! I have been fighting them since September!

Re: British Gas Default

Hi and welcome, I’ve moved your post to your own thread for more view and replies.

Best wishes
    IF
    "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Comment

hi there,
      If you have a play with the search facility i think there are some letters out there for members who have, like you discovered BG have crapped on their credit file.
      I did have a quick search but just about to leave work so ran out of time.

All the best with it.

Cheers
      SA
      When Gold isn't enough, there is SA Gold! New to the forum and find the UE route a bit scary? Take a look at my diary here and judge for yourself. I am now saving the money each month that was making little difference to the balance and not a bit of difference to my credit file as a result of finding AAD.

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Originally posted by A-Owen View Post
        Hi Can someone help me urgently with a default from BG on my credit file! I have been fighting them since September!
        Can you tell us a bit more

Why have you defaulted
        How much is the default
        Have you all the correct paperwork from BG

thank you

Comment

I'll give you the back ground....

I was a british gas customer for approx 6 months, when I switched supplier, I called BG to arrange this. When I asked about a final bill I was told that they needed another metre reading and couldn't tell me for sure if anything was owed but they would write to me if there was an outstanding amount on the file.

This was I think June 2012, Since then I've heard nothing from them.

In September we applied for a remortgaged and we were declined! I checked my credit file to see 2 defaults amounting to just over £350 from British Gas, angry and very surprised, I called them to find out what was going on, and explained the situation. The customer service agent told me not to worry, and he would apply for the account to come back fromt he debt collection agency so they could rectify the matter.
          He told me this would take 10 days to come back, a fuurther x amount of days to be investigated, then I would need to pay what's owed then they apply to have the defaults removed, provided the account was clear. At no stage was I told they would not be removed.

After a couple of weeks I heard ntohing so called again, explained the situation again and was told more or less the same and that customer service agent would chase it up, I again heard nothing, I left it few days and tried again, this time I was told the same and it would eb chased, after a fourth attempt of finding out where my account was and how I could deal with it, and BG never coming back to me, I decided to raise a complaint.

I spoke to a lovely woman who investigated this fully- My dd hasn't been set up correctly at the time of the account being set up, so the account went 3/4 months without being paid, Despite me giving them details in which to set up the dd, so I was in arrears before I'd already started. When I closed hte account, they should have told me there was an amount outstanding but couldn't be sure of the figure due to needing the final metre reading, but at least I would have been aware that there was some money owed so I would have chased it up. She also admitted that a failing on BG's behalf was in fact that they denied access to my online account and emailed me to tell me my final bill was available to view, but I could not access it. They claim to have written to me- A letter I did not recieve.

Since September I have been trying to rectify this, and I have kept my side of the agreement- I was told that provided my accoutn was clear the defaults would be removed. They ahve not been. I was also told I had a strong case to have these removed and the 'keys' department are refusing to do so.
          I now have this at a stage 3 complaint with British gas and I feel like I've paid the £350 for nothing- I could have entered into a payment plan with them and paid it monthly if it was to make no difference to my credit file!!!

I was told more than once that provided the outstanding amount was clear, the defaults could be removed, and now it seems they have their money and they don't care.

This is stopping us from getting a mortgage which is due for renewal in Jan.

Comment

personally I'd email the ceo, unfortunately it's a complete waste of time talking to any of the utilities customer service departments, they just refuse to take ownership of the problem and stick it to the bottom of the pile

try this one chris.weston@centrica.co.uk

you'll need to make sure that you point out that the account fell into default without your knowledge, that could be your sticking point as they may wonder why you didn't chase it but worth a go.

Comment

I'll sort you a reply to send BG soon.....
              I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

I'll give you the back ground....
                Ok, have a go at sending this to the main man - keep us updated with progress please....

Email it directly to the CEO - chris.weston@centrica.co.uk

Good Luck

Dear Mr Weston,

Ref: XXXXXXXX

I with reference to previous communication with British Gas and due to sheer incompetence I am left with no alternative but to email you direct, as the Group CEO as my complaint keeps getting ignored, so this letter is my final attempt for resolution prior to my seeking clarity from both the Energy Ombudsman and the Information Commissioner for your repeated and clear breaches as well as the possibility of legal action for the damages incurred as a result of your incompetence.

I was a British Gas customer for approximately 6 months (around June 2012) before I switched suppliers so I called British Gas to arrange this and finalise any billing. When I got round to asking about the final bill I was told that they needed another metre reading and couldn't tell me for sure if anything was owed but they would write to me if there was an outstanding amount on the file.

I never heard from you again, until the recent contact instigated by myself because back in September (2013) I applied for a mortgage and was declined so I went and checked my credit report and was horrified to notice 2 unlawful defaults amounting to just over £350 from British Gas. Angry and bemused, I called to find out what was going on and to try and establish what happened and why there were two erroneous and quite unlawful defaults registered against me. The customer service agent told me not to worry, and he would apply for the account to come back from the debt collection agency so they could rectify the matter.

He told me this would take 10 days to come back plus a further few weeks to allow for an investigation, at which point I could pay this outstanding last bill that I was never notified about, with the promise of default removal upon payment being made.

After a couple of weeks I heard nothing so called again, explained the situation again and was told more or less the same and that a customer service agent would chase it up. Again, silence! I left it few days and tried calling again to be told the same story that it'd be chased but never heard back from you. After the fourth attempt at chasing this and with no response imminent I was left with no alternative but to formally complain.

I recently spoke to a customer service agent who allegedly investigated this and concluded that the Direct Debit was never set-up correctly at inception which led to the account sitting unpaid for some time (3-4 months). Bear in mind this error in setting up the Direct Debit was a British Gas fault, not mine. The bank details I provided were correct, hence I was always led to believe that the monthly payment was being taken as agreed when I signed-up.

When I decided to leave British Gas I phoned to close the account and requested a balance owing which the agent was unable to provide based on requiring a final meter reading. Granted, I could have pushed this at the time but that wouldn't really have achieved anything because I was never actually sent any bills whilst I was a customer. Had you said there was a balance, any balance, I would have chased you myself at the time so that it was paid - but the fact I have never heard from you suggests there was never a balance so I never thought anything of it and went about my daily life. Likewise, I believe that if I had access to my account online I would also have noticed a balance and settled the account but for some reason this was also inactive. When I recently probed the agent she did confirm that there was a failing on British Gas's behalf because they'd restricted access. Apparently a letter was sent which was never received. As I say, I have never been advised of any monies owed to you. If I was I would have paid.

Since September I have been trying to rectify this, and I have kept my side of the agreement- I was told that provided my account was clear the defaults would be removed. They still remain in place. I was also told I had a strong case to have these removed based on the original problem being totally out of my control, yet the British Gas 'Keys' department are refusing to remove the unlawful defaults.

I now have this at a stage 3 complaint with British Gas and I feel like I've been totally used and abused and am in the process of speaking to my solicitor about taking legal action against you for the way you have behaved, as a company. I paid the £350 at the first time of asking, further proof that I did not run away from any debt. I was told more than once that provided the outstanding amount was cleared, the defaults would be removed.

These unlawful and quite defamatory default markers are causing me and my family extreme stress and are having a very detrimental affect in us obtaining a mortgage. I therefore request one last time, prior to my seeking legal action as well as regulatory complaints being submitted, that you arrange for these default entries to be immediately removed and make a suitable offer of compensation for the extreme pain and suffering your company has, and continues to, cause me and my family.

I look forward to hearing from you no later than 14 days from the date of this email, 19th December 2013.

Yours sincerely,

Type Name Here
                I'm the forum administrator and I look after the theme & features, our volunteers & users and also look after any complaints or Data Protection queries that pass through the forum or main website. I am extremely busy so if you do contact me or need a reply to a forum post then use the email or PM features offered because I do miss things and get tied up for days at a time!

If you spot any spammers, AE's, abusive or libellous posts or anything else that just doesn't feel right then please report them to me as soon as you spot them at: webmaster@all-about-debt.co.uk

Comment

In September we applied for a remortgaged and we were declined! I checked my credit file to see 2 defaults amounting to just over £350 from British Gas.
                  Can I just clarify that both these defaults on your CRA file were from British Gas. A creditor can only default you once. Are you certain that there wasn't another default from another creditor? Normally one default would not prevent a mortgage but two defaults would.

The good news is that if you can get these defaults removed you can go back to the original remortgage provider and asked them to reconsider. I would let them know right away that these defaults have been challenged and ask them to keep your application open/on file. Applications should stay 'live' for 90 days.

In the meantime write to the CRAs and have a Notice of Correction placed on your file. Here is an example of how to do it:

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/faq/AR5.html

Comment

Originally posted by planB View Post

In the meantime write to the CRAs and have a Notice of Correction placed on your file. Here is an example of how to do it:

http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/faq/AR5.html
                    PlanB - no, we never suggest NoC's as that forces manual intervention for all credit applications plus a CRA can refuse to add it.

Just send the letter above and leave the CRA's for now. We'll deal with those later if BG still argue. It's a 3 pronged process.

1. Complain to Provider
                    2. Complain to CRA's
                    3. Complain to ombudsman.

Comment

Gas = 1 account / Electric = 2nd account

its normal for utilities to split accounts once in arrears.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                        Gas = 1 account / Electric = 2nd account

its normal for utilities to split accounts once in arrears.
                        Even if the customer is on a Dual Fuel tariff? That's not fair

Would that be the same for me with three mobile contracts on one account with different start/end dates?

Comment

Even if the customer is on a Dual Fuel tariff? That's not fair

Would that be the same for me with three mobile contracts on one account?
                          Yea cos dual fuel is still 2 accounts offered as a package.

No to mobiles. They're based on per account - you have multiple handsets on one account.

you could get defaulted for each bill, in terms of mobiles. So one bill means one default.

Comment

Originally posted by Never-In-Doubt View Post
                            dual fuel is still 2 accounts offered as a package.
                            You know what I've never noticed this anomaly before. Is there a logical or even legal reason why energy providers keep them as separate accounts? I know I pay by two separate direct debits for my gas and electricity but I've never bothered to understand why.

Comment

You know what I've never noticed this anomaly before. Is there a logical or even legal reason why energy providers keep them as separate accounts? I know I pay by two separate direct debits for my gas and electricity but I've never bothered to understand why.
                              its because technically they have two billing systems - gas and electric.. They merge them for your ease but read a bill where you have dual fuel and you will see it still splits it for you, and billing is the same - due to the way it is charged they treat them as separate entities.

So it makes sense really, although the cynic in me says it is so they can screw us over twice for the price of one!!

But to answer your question, it's all to do with billing. A good reverse-similarity is when you get a loan cum debit card account (preference account) - this is usually added to your CRA as a loan and they omit the bank account element because it is a loan account in essence which literally gives a limit and a card to use that limit with. The reason they don't separate them is because there is no billing discrepancy as it started as a loan account and remains as one, regardless of how they sell it to you, the customer. With energy firms you do have two accounts and thus pay two amounts each month/quarter it's just that for customer ease they add it all up for you and send it as one bill/take one payment. It is always two separate accounts though - don't forget that.

Comment

Working...
                              X