GDPR Cookie Consent by SimpleServe Privacy Script DCA Phone Calls at Work - AAD Consumer Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DCA Phone Calls at Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCA Phone Calls at Work

I have seen the answer to this question somewhere but I can't seem to find it at the minute. I have a debt collector ringing my work phone number. I'm sure that they cannot do this or maybe it's that they have to if I ask them to stop. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks

Re: DCA Phone Calls at Work

-----------> Harassment by Telephone at Work
    I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply! I will get that sent off tomorrow

Comment

Having given this a bit more thought I would appreciate anybody's input: I run my own small company and have a landline that has a, not very widely, advertised number. It is on a company website but is something that is for 'future use'. I only have one account that has been given my business details, namely MBNA, now Barclaycard. That account is now being managed by MKDP LLP. The firm that has been ringing my business landline I have identified, via Who called me? Free reverse phone directory., as AIC. They have not had any connection with the account in question. They do, however, handle another Barclaycard account of mine. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and also how do I address AIC with regards to phone the calls? It must be with regards to my MBNA account as that is the only one that would have my business phone number but they, as far as I am aware, have nothing to do with that account

Comment

They've been calling me at work. Not received any letters.

See AIC - Allied International Credit - allaboutFORUMS

Comment

AIC a Canadian based Company owned By International Global Holdings. Based in Newmarket ONTARIO and with US offices in PHOENIX Arizona.

Just done a quick look and I cant see a CCL for them. One assumes the Glasgow office must have one?
            Cant find one at the Basingstoke address supplied by the CSA members list either.
            More digging to do.

Why do all the foreigners come over here? could it be in their own countries they are better regulated than over here. Or don't their Citizens get into debt

Regards, Handy
            Last edited by Handyman; 24 July 2012, 23:20.
            Mother Nature Don't Draw Straight lines, We are Broken Moulds in Life's Grand Design, We look a Mess but we're doing fine,
            Life Long Card Carrying Member Of the Union of Different Kinds.

Comment

I'm not really bothered which account it is for, obviously, but I would ideally like to put the account number on the letter as reference. As I am unsure whether they have anything officially to do with the only account to do with that number I was wondering if they had been information sharing with another DCA who does have that number. Do I just send AIC a generic letter with my name and address and no account number just telling them not to ring me? Do I include the phone number or will that just confirm to them that it is the correct number? It is available on the website anyway so it isn't exactly a secret

Comment

Aaaah good old AIC

Ringing you at work is a standard AIC tactic designed to either shame you into contacting them or pay them off, its pure intimidation and the number of people that they do it to shows it an intentional business practice.

They are, however, pretty easy to fend off, and they'll eventually hand your account back to the original creditor if you stand your ground and show you won't be bullied.

I miss my email and letter ping pong with 'Mr Brown' and 'Miss Dick' (yes that was her name), Mr Brown in particular was very easy to wind up and some of his correspondence I used in a complaint against AIC to the OFT.

If they call just refuse to answer security questions, or answer incorrectly. If they continue to discuss the account with you (which they inevitably will) you will have them on a breach of data protection too.

Once they realise they are getting nowhere on the phone then you will get a letter. They don't like writing letters, costs more money than having a phone drone churning out calls and threats.

You'll then know what they are calling about, and take things from there.

Best
                SnV
                "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

The consumer is that sleeping giant.!!

I'm an official AAD Moderator and also a volunteer, here to help make the forum run smoothly. Any views or opinions are mine and not the official line of AAD. Similarly, any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability. If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional - Find a Solicitor or go to the National Probono Centre.

If you spot an abusive or libellous post then please report it by Clicking Here. If you need to contact me, for instance if I've issued you a warning, moved, edited or deleted your post, please send me a message by clicking my username.

Comment

I get that, SNV, but the thing is the account that they are ringing me about is not being dealt with by them. The reason I know this is because the number that they are ringing me on only one card company would know and they do not How can I tell them to f*** off without including an account number?

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    AIC a Canadian based Company owned By International Global Holdings. Based in Newmarket ONTARIO and with US offices in PHOENIX Arizona.
                    I've not found that detail.

Just done a quick look and I cant see a CCL for them. One assumes the Glasgow office must have one?
                    I did find their CCL - see attached files - but only after first checking at Companies' House to find their exact name.

Their CCL is currently being renewed.

Perhaps an email to enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk would be helpful? Insert the words CREDIT FITNESS in the subject box. Give a clear and concise resume of your complaint.

Why do all the foreigners come over here? could it be in their own countries they are better regulated than over here.
                    They are much better regulated in the colonies where, if they harassed debtors like this, they'd be looking at paying a hefty fine at the least. Mind you, getting their regulators to act may be another matter - regulators are inherently indolent wherever one looks.

Or don't their Citizens get into debt?
                    Wasn't the present recession started by colonial debtors defaulting on their increasingly expensive, 'sub-prime' loans that had been sold and re-sold by the banks as 'investment packages'?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by billytommo View Post
                      I get that, SNV, but the thing is the account that they are ringing me about is not being dealt with by them. The reason I know this is because the number that they are ringing me on only one card company would know and they do not How can I tell them to f*** off without including an account number?
                      Get a police whistle and, when they call in future, don't speak to them - whistle at them, LOUDLY

Comment

I never answer the phone to any number that I don't know. The only time I speak to any of these clowns is if my son answers. He knows not to answer withheld or 08** numbers but they have increasingly started using geographic numbers and he sometimes passes me the phone: "It's for you, Dad." They ask me: "Is that Mr Tommo?" I never confirm I just ask who is it please? They confirm they are from whoever DCA and I just put the phone down. I don't even waste time failing security. AIC only ever ring the mobile or the business landline which only I, at the moment, have access to. The reason for trying to get these calls stopped is that I am going to outsource the receipt of phone calls on that line so obviously don't want them going to a third party. I can't just change the number either because they only have to look on the website to see the new number!

Comment

Is the business a limited company?

If those are business numbers, then a section 10 notice under the Data Protection Act 1998 won't work as they could claim that they were not processing personal data. On the other hand, a limited company could obtain an injunction requiring Arrogant Irritating C*cksuckers to cease and henceforth desist from calling the company numbers.

Comment

It is now a Limited Company but it wasn't when I gave them the number. Basically a business credit card, I had a few personal ones with MBNA and they merged them and I then had just one under the name of my Sole Trader business. Them having the business number is worse than them having my private landline number!

Comment

If it is a limited company, then it is legally a different "person", just as it would be if the telephone number had once been used by Jack Jones but is now used by Bob Smith.

Are you the sole director of the company?

Comment

Working...
                              X